Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Impa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
I've messed up my MacBook and it's now running really slowly (even just clicking on icons, going into folders and suchlike) and I need to find out the best way to sort out the following issue:

I wanted to back up my pictures and (now realise, foolishly) moved them from iPhoto to my desktop so I could transfer it to an external hard drive. It was hanging and had the spinning beachball. This was 7 days ago; it looks like it's done it and is now running very slowly, I know it's lagging because the clocks shows it is sometimes 10 minutes slow and it's whirring and doing something.

I had unplugged the hard drive in case it was slow due to that and from researching other forums for advice I have been able to check the Activity Monitor - the CPU is fine but the disk space is almost zilch (all blue and no green). I now want to delete the pics off my desktop as I'm sure this is the root of the problem. Is there a simple/easy way or do I really have to be patient, delete and trash them one by one?

As you can tell I am not a full on techie but understand simple instruction, so please if you can help me resolve this, I'd be very grateful.

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
open your disk utility and do repair. if that doesnt fix it, erase your HD then reinstall your OS and Applications, as if you were doing so straight out of the box.

Impa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Will I lose my data doing that? music, pics, files??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.