PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Drive 10? - Ambitious Lemon

madamimadam
Aug 26, 2002, 06:44 AM
Hey dude, I was just reading your review of Drive 10 and I was interested to find out why exactly you do not like it. You went on a lot about how much you hate it but never went into and great detail as to why.

My opinion to follow your review is that while it might be based on old code that code is good code and it has been a life saver for me. Today I had a crashed drive that I was asked to recover some important information off and DiskW could not even see the drive whereas Drive 10 not only say it but it deleted all the bad sectors on it.

This Drive has been formatted a couple of times due to bad sectors and had past the point where new sectors could be opened to repair the bad ones. Drive 10 not only closed off the bad sectors but gave me a lovely report on how much space I would be losing (although in more detail).

What problems have you come across with the program that I should be looking out for and what exactly are these "secret" sections of DiskW?

edesignuk
Aug 26, 2002, 07:06 AM
Oh dear, yet another case of the "New thread" and "Post reply" buttons being right next to each other me thinks! :D

Durandal7
Aug 26, 2002, 12:42 PM
Make sure that you are hitting the right button so everyone doesn't get angry. :mad:

madamimadam
Aug 26, 2002, 06:15 PM
Why did I accidently press the wrong button?

I read the AL site and created a thread related to a topic I read there.

Durandal7
Aug 26, 2002, 06:36 PM
Oh well then, carry on ;)

awrc
Aug 26, 2002, 08:18 PM
I'm curious about this too - it ties into the whole "OS X defragging" thread recently. It looks as though Norton Utilities and Drive 10 are the only native defraggers out there. Norton's out, because there's no way to install Drive Speed without having to install a whole load of other crap I don't want on my system, and Drive 10 is (judging by VersionTracker) one of those products that everybody either can't live without, or loathes with extreme prejudice.

So I'm quite curious to hear what it is about it that makes people dislike it so much.

Capt. Obvious
Aug 26, 2002, 08:53 PM
No experience w/ Drive10, and I expect to have none. TTP is, IMNSHO, a badly-designed and badly-implemented piece o' crap. As a designer, it offends my professional sensibilities, 3.x is worse than 2.5.x, and I've given Micromat the last dime they'll see from me until they choose to give paying customers better products.

So, AmbitiousLemon, I am (as Ross Perot would say) all ears!

edesignuk
Aug 26, 2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Why did I accidently press the wrong button?

I read the AL site and created a thread related to a topic I read there.
Sorry mate, it just sounded more like a reply to and exisiting topic rather than a new thread, but hey...

mnkeybsness
Aug 27, 2002, 12:09 AM
why hasn't apple made their own defragment program...there are so many other useful utilities included with os x...why not one more?