Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowdedstr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hey folks -- received my Apple TV this past weekend... haven't gotten around to setting it up yet, but hopefully will at some point this week.

Just looking for a bit of feedback. Are you guys mostly running your ATV straight into your stereo receiver and then up through your TV? Or running straight into your TV?

My receiver is pretty old, so I'm not positive the number of HDMI inputs I'll have, so I might end up going ATV -> HDMI into my TV, which is then routed through my receiver so I can still send whatever I want through the sound system.

I suppose both would probably work, but was curious what others might be doing?

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
I currently run HDMI to the TV and run optical from the ATV to the receiver. This is mainly because I have an old receiver. I have a new one on the way and with it I will run HDMI and opitcal to the receiver. The only reason I am going to run the optical is so I can send the Apple TV audio to a second zone. For some reason few if any receivers can distribute HDMI audio to a second zone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.