Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I wanted to get an Apple TV, primarily to browse my iphoto library, movies and music from my MBP. I don't care about renting movies since there is no Apple Itunes store for my country (well there is but only for apps - no music or movies).

For $99 I felt it was still worth it as a wireless media browser plus, I would be able to watch youtube on my 42 LCD tv.

But then I thought why not just get a PS3 for $200 more (adding the benefit of a game console and a bluray player -which I also want) and use it as an AppleTV for browsing media files on my mac.

I know these are different products, and the ATV may be more polished when browsing for media files, but how good/bad is the PS3 UI, especially when connecting to a mac? Will I be able to play videos stored on my mac too?

Thanks for your help.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
for $100 more than the ps3 you could get both. :) that's what i have. the ps3 is a gaming console. it can stream media, but the experience is not even close to that of the ATV.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Ps3 media streaming isn't a patch on that of the apple tv. If you have a small amount of media on your mac, then a ps3 is ok. If you have more than 5 tv show seasons, or 720p movies, id say the apple tv would be better for you. Although having both would be the best solution :) ps3 for the games and the blu rays and apple tv for music, video from your mac and from YouTube...

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Have you guys tried the media streaming on the PS3? It's pretty solid. There are apps like this one that works perfectly once you set it up. I'm not sure how complicated your media got, but the interface was fine for my PS3. I would recommend the PS3 if you want to watch blu-rays or play games. If you do none of those and don't plan to do it, I would recommend the AppleTV

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Yep, twonky, ps3mediaserver, rivet, medialink (I think is the name of it). I just don't like how it doesn't know if your tv shows are unwatched or not and it depends on folders created by the servers (if they support it).

Also the ps3 802.11g networking isn't fast enough/doesn't buffer enough/gives 'media unreadable' too much with mp4 and avi files which are being streamed. Plus, I cant watch the content bought in itunes on the ps3.

My other half hates the ps3 interface for streaming, and that is usually a big factor in getting technology into the living room - has to be 'wife friendly'

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Yep, twonky, ps3mediaserver, rivet, medialink (I think is the name of it). I just don't like how it doesn't know if your tv shows are unwatched or not and it depends on folders created by the servers (if they support it).

Also the ps3 802.11g networking isn't fast enough/doesn't buffer enough/gives 'media unreadable' too much with mp4 and avi files which are being streamed. Plus, I cant watch the content bought in itunes on the ps3.

My other half hates the ps3 interface for streaming, and that is usually a big factor in getting technology into the living room - has to be 'wife friendly'

Fair enough. haha. I just tried it on a couple videos and stuff, and it worked out fine, but I didn't test it anywhere near extensively as you. I found that my PS3 just had trouble streaming HD videos, but all my other videos were fine. The interface was simple (ps3 xmb -> videos -> media server -> etc), but I guess those unfamiliar with it could be confused.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I also have both, and definitely prefer the Apple TV for streaming. The interface for the PS3 is good, but not for navigating media, the Apple TV is a lot prettier IMO. And plus, the Apple TV has 5GHz wireless N, so if you have a compatible router, it will be much better than the PS3's G networking.

Add in Airplay and less noise (PS3 can be kind of loud sometimes), the extra $100 to have both devices is the best bet if you can afford it.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
I have a PS3 wired via gigabit ethernet. It's powerful but not as user friendly as the Apple TV. Frankly, our networked Blu-ray players are easier to use than the PS3 (at least for the rest of the family). If you are looking for a convenient way to tap into your Mac library and rent movies or use Netflix, nothing in my opinion comes close to Apple TV.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
Get PS3 if you prefer gaming and the top-notch picture and sound quality of Blu Ray.

Get Apple TV if you prefer on-demand streaming media from the comfort of your couch. The quality won't be as good, but it's much more convenient and the UI is world's better (think iOS vs. Symbian if you're familiar with phone interfaces)!

I have both and use them for different purposes.

Anna-Town

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
I know it's pure speculation but what is everyone thoughts on the chances of the PS3 getting some sort of google tv.

I have no idea if this is even possible but it has been confirmed to be part of upcoming Sony TVs.

If it is possible, this could be huge.

I too am going to purchase either a PS3 or ATV+a blu ray player. And am curious to see what others' thoughts are on this.

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
I know it's pure speculation but what is everyone thoughts on the chances of the PS3 getting some sort of google tv.

I have no idea if this is even possible but it has been confirmed to be part of upcoming Sony TVs.

If it is possible, this could be huge.

I too am going to purchase either a PS3 or ATV+a blu ray player. And am curious to see what others' thoughts are on this.

Here's a short thread on it on the PS3 forums. I really doubt it though. Sony's locked up the PS3 super tight, even though it's already been jailbroken. I doubt they'd wanna offer something to possibly open it up even more.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I'm not a fan of the PS3 media sharing. LDNA and UpnP blows. Perhaps it's the lack of good Mac stuff, but I dislike it. PS3 is nifty though if you rip CDs and otherwise manage to get media on it.

If this is primarily what you want to do Apple TV is a good solution.

If you want to watch movies, PS3 is awesome and of course there's the gaming.

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I have both, and they both have their pros and cons. I think if you are already at least somewhat entrenched in the apple ecosystem (meaning you use itunes for music and maybe your movies/tv shows), the apple tv is really great. It's silent, low power, with a very easy and pretty UI. It's also very simple, so wife and kids can make their way around it very easily if that is a consideration. netflix is very nice, and a bit faster to access than on ps3 (no messing with the disc..although it will soon become a native app for ps3). I watch quite a few video podcasts as well, and these are very easy to access via apple tv. If you have an ipad or iphone/touch, the remote app is just awesome. It makes choosing and playing music a breeze and also helps out with having a keyboard for searches. The downsides are that unless your video is in itunes, it won't play nice with the apple tv. You need to convert..and if you already have a large collection of avi/mkv that may be a real pain. Of course, that may all change once it's jailbroken. Airplay could make it a non issue as well since you could use an app like air video to transcode anything right to the apple tv. Time will tell.

With the ps3, you get (in my opinion) a much less attractive UI that depends on media servers to transcode the video/audio. What you lose in the "pretty" factor (and probably ease of use for others..my gf won't touch the ps3 cause she thinks it's too complicated) you gain in being able to use something like ps3 media server to stream any sort of video you want to the tv. avi/mkv/mp4...whatever. no need for conversion. So, the functionality is much higher with some tradeoffs. Of course, you also get a gaming machine and blu ray.

If you have any specific questions in regards to any other differences between the two feel free to ask.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Thanks for all of your replies.

Well my itunes library is not very large, only 15GB and due to lack of space, I don't have video files on my MBP.

however, I love photographs. My iphoto library weighs almost 50GB and I would love to view them on the big screen. This is going to be the main use for it.

Eventually I may get an imac and may start keeping a copy of my homevideos on it for quick access.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
for $100 more than the ps3 you could get both. :) that's what i have. the ps3 is a gaming console. it can stream media, but the experience is not even close to that of the ATV.

I have both too. Both are awesome! I got it all Bluray, DVD, PS3 gaming, apple Itunes, airplay....

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
however, I love photographs. My iphoto library weighs almost 50GB and I would love to view them on the big screen. This is going to be the main use for it.

Eventually I may get an imac and may start keeping a copy of my homevideos on it for quick access.

appletv will be worlds nicer than the ps3 for viewing your iphoto library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.