Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
My feeling with the air is this:

It should be on offer as a "lite" alternative to the existing MacBook line. Basically go with the current line (MB, MPB) and offer an option without the optical drive and some of the ports - in effect, it's like buying a "sugar free" cola.

So we can have a MacBook Lite (cool, thin white poly) and The MacBook Pro Lite 13", 15"- (though not so sure a 17" that thin will be sturdy enough with a thin chassis.)

I mean, it makes so much sense. Some like a full-flavored notebook and some simply want a zero-calorie version.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA

It should be on offer as a "lite" alternative to the existing MacBook line. Basically go with the current line (MB, MPB) and offer an option without the optical drive and some of the ports - in effect, it's like buying a "sugar free" cola.

So we can have a MacBook Lite (cool, thin white poly) and The MacBook Pro Lite 13", 15"- (though not so sure a 17" that thin will be sturdy enough with a thin chassis.)

I mean, it makes so much sense. Some like a full-flavored notebook and some simply want a zero-calorie version.

Outside of the food/drink industry, the informal definition of "lite" (according to the dictionary built-in to OS X) is:

Lacking in substance; superficial.

Which is why you'll never see the term "lite" used on an Apple product.

"mini," "nano," and "air" all indicate smaller size, but not significantly reduced experience, functionality, or substance.

But I do like your concept, just not the branding.

juro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Outside of the food/drink industry, the informal definition of "lite" (according to the dictionary built-in to OS X) is:

Lacking in substance; superficial.

Which is why you'll never see the term "lite" used on an Apple product.

"mini," "nano," and "air" all indicate smaller size, but not significantly reduced experience, functionality, or substance.

But I do like your concept, just not the branding.

I definitely agree with the use (or non-use, in this case) of "lite"...It's just the concept of it that intrigues me.

They would not even have to change the "Air" in the name - simply reposition it as a lighter alternative to the full featured notebook lines.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

Considering "sugar-free" and "zero calorie" versions are generally far for you than the regular versions I think this is a bad idea

Sandy Bridge+liquidmetal=needed for new Air

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Lite doesn't make sense to me. It's "lite" right now because it needs a bit of a refresh. When it is updated, it should be comparable to a macbook, just slimmer.

juro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Lite doesn't make sense to me. It's "lite" right now because it needs a bit of a refresh. When it is updated, it should be comparable to a macbook, just slimmer.

It will never be comparable because it will not have as many ports, nor the optical drive that regular notebooks do.

Even with a refresh it will not have the functionality or features that those regular systems do.

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
Ummm.... correct me if i am wrong, but didnt apple want the Air to be a Full computer and uncompromised, having it "lite" would clash with that viewpoint so they would not do it

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I disagree with lite completely. I don't think there is any positive marketing trait in the word or concept of a "lite" Mac.

To me, it means cheap and artificial. Lite is what the iPad is in a sense... a lightweight operating system for mobile... but I am glad they didn't call it iLite.

In addition, I don't believe Apple wants to market its Macs as being "lite" anything. Furthermore, the whole point of the Mac is simplicity, performance, design, elegance, industrial, and superior. Those are the words I think of when I think Mac.

A lite version would be made of plastic instead of aluminum or carbon fiber. A lite version is when someone just wants a few features not everything. Apple makes its money selling Macs that have everything the user could want. In fact, it includes even tiny things that are different like a glass trackpad, or it spends a dollar on some led backlighting for the keyboard so it can sell features showing that it has everything.

I don't want a Lite Mac and I don't believe Jobs nor Apple would ever come up with such a product. Can you imaging the iPad Lite? Sounds like a cheap plastic model that is crap. It's not like diet soda... it doesn't compare to soda at all.

Sorry, but I am in full disagreement here. The MacBook AIR is about having a fully featured Mac that is as lightweight as Air. It has the same keyboard, display, and capabilities yet is a premium upgrade as in technology being lightweight is a premium capability that comes at an extra cost.

I don't want an MBA Lite and I definitely don;t want an MBP Lite. I don't want crap, and Apple doesn't want to sell crap. It wants to sell high-end "feeling/looking" products with low cost components in a case material that feels/looks expensive but is actually nearly as affordable as plastic. Apple is king at what it does, and it isn't about to cheapen its brand and market "Lite" anything.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I disagree with lite completely. I don't think there is any positive marketing trait in the word or concept of a "lite" Mac.

To me, it means cheap and artificial. Lite is what the iPad is in a sense... a lightweight operating system for mobile... but I am glad they didn't call it iLite.

For once, I have to agree with you on this. Lite sounds so cheap. It's something that Nintendo uses, it doesn't suit in Apple's profile. Even MacBook Nano sounds better :D

juro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007

In addition, I don't believe Apple wants to market its Macs as being "lite" anything. Furthermore, the whole point of the Mac is simplicity, performance, design, elegance, industrial, and superior. Those are the words I think of when I think Mac.

A lite version would be made of plastic instead of aluminum or carbon fiber. A lite version is when someone just wants a few features not everything. Apple makes its money selling Macs that have everything the user could want. In fact, it includes even tiny things that are different like a glass trackpad, or it spends a dollar on some led backlighting for the keyboard so it can sell features showing that it has everything.

I don't want a Lite Mac and I don't believe Jobs nor Apple would ever come up with such a product. Can you imaging the iPad Lite? Sounds like a cheap plastic model that is crap. It's not like diet soda... it doesn't compare to soda at all.

Sorry, but I am in full disagreement here. The MacBook AIR is about having a fully featured Mac that is as lightweight as Air. It has the same keyboard, display, and capabilities yet is a premium upgrade as in technology being lightweight is a premium capability that comes at an extra cost.

I don't want an MBA Lite and I definitely don;t want an MBP Lite. I don't want crap, and Apple doesn't want to sell crap. It wants to sell high-end "feeling/looking" products with low cost components in a case material that feels/looks expensive but is actually nearly as affordable as plastic. Apple is king at what it does, and it isn't about to cheapen its brand and market "Lite" anything.

Again, how can anyone say it is a full featured Mac when it doesn't have an optical drive or the same number of ports?

Think about it: It really is a lite version as it is currently.

And the idea of a lite Mac (the name does not even have to carry the word "Lite") does not necessarily mean cheap or plasticky. Just what it is: A light and lean Mac for people that do not need all the features - they just want a lighter notebook, simple as that.

No use going the road of "but it is a full featured Mac" when it so glaringly is not.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe a special FW3200+USB adapter to have the bandwidth
for a lot of USB 2.0s?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
It will never be comparable because it will not have as many ports, nor the optical drive that regular notebooks do.

Even with a refresh it will not have the functionality or features that those regular systems do.

How many ports do you need?

I run my entire ipod army, drives, ect on the road with my Air and it's one little USB.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Again, how can anyone say it is a full featured Mac when it doesn't have an optical drive....

Also, optical drive is another dino that can go away. In the imac, I get it, but beyond that, what is the point?

Who is buying CD's or DVD's anymore? That's a dying industry. Apple may be a bit in front of this trend, but I'm going to bet the 13 inch Macbook and the 13 inch macbook pro will loose their CD drives before 2013.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Also, optical drive is another dino that can go away. In the imac, I get it, but beyond that, what is the point?

Who is buying CD's or DVD's anymore? That's a dying industry. Apple may be a bit in front of this trend, but I'm going to bet the 13 inch Macbook and the 13 inch macbook pro will loose their CD drives before 2013.

Starcraft 2, for instance, comes on a DVD. Great for people without a fast internet connection.
So don't just think of music or movies, but also of games.
The PlayStation comes with BluRays, as well as the XBOX comes with a compact disk mechanism which I'm not sure about the name (HD-DVD?).
The Wii comes with regular DVD's.
Well, that's consoles, but there are a plenty of computer games, some too for the Mac, which are installed from a DVD.

Think this:
- Snow Leopard comes on a DVD. A MacBook Air doesn't come with a DVD drive — so you have to install it remotely via another DVD player. But nonetheless you have to have a DVD player to install Snow Leopard.

Now about the Lite in the name. I go with the rest of the people.
Except the iPad which someone mentioned that it was a kinda lite product.
It's not. It's more an Elements product. (Like PhotoShop Elements: more basic, less features, but also another interface, made especially for the lighter design possibilities.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.