Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I found an iPod. I've left my name at the place in case someone comes looking for it. I want to know what music is on it so I can ask anyone who calls what playlists / music is on it to confirm they are the true owner.

I plugged it into my iTunes, but it doesn't tell me anything. If I want to register it to my iTunes, it will wipe the memory clear and treat it as a brand new empty device.

Is there a way around this (besides playing the damn thing and listening to the songs... I suspect I wouldn't know or recognize any of them anyhow because I suspect the owner is a pre-teen)?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
This is awesome!!!! FYI, however, if you have Mac OS 10.4 or earlier, then exPod is the ticket. Otherwise, the exPod website directs those with 10.5 or later to DeTune, http://www.headlightsoft.com/detune/. It too is free :)

I have used exPod with Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 without problems, the current version (0.7.x) is recommended for Mac OS X 10.4 and later. exPod 0.3 is recommended for versions prior to Mac OS X 10.4.
exPod 0.7.3 was released in June 2010.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
If the owner of the iPod has bought music from the iTunes store, you can highlight the song in iTunes and press CMD-I to get info. The email address connected to the account should be displayed.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
who buys a kid younger than 13 an Mp3 player let alone an ipod?:confused:

let me guess, its full of justin beiber and pictures of kittens:p

I bought my son his first iPod when he was eight. What's the problem? Kids not allowed to listen to music in your world?

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
it just seems unnecessary to me, I was brought up to think £40 was a lot of money until I was about 10/11. (£130 would have blown my mind)

I'm willing to bet you think "buy it (or don't buy it) because you can afford it" rather than "buy it (or don't buy it) because it is needed".

I don't have a probolem with kids listening to music but whats wrong with a PC + youtube / CD player?

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
I'm willing to bet you think "buy it (or don't buy it) because you can afford it" rather than "buy it (or don't buy it) because it is needed".

It was an iPod nano that I bought for my son, which was about.....£40. And anyway, buying only 'what is needed' would tend to eliminate most of what we talk about on this forum. I have lots of things I don't 'need', as, I would imagine, do you.

£40 for a personal music player for an 8 year old may seem indulgent to some people but I see it as providing a means to empower a young person and let them enjoy the music that they want to listen to. I don't want to listen to JLS, but I'm not about to prevent him from doing it.

As for this found iPod, who knows who it belongs to, the OP is only guessing.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
who buys a kid younger than 13 an Mp3 player let alone an ipod?:confused:

let me guess, its full of justin beiber and pictures of kittens:p
Actually, in my part of the world, high schoolers turning 16 are often the gifted recipients of brand new 3-series and C classes. The area near where I found the item has a neighborhood of $3.5-5 Million USD homes. I certainly don't live there as there are other areas with condos and other homes. Point being, a $50 iPod shuffle is a big nothing, an afterthought to some.

@Cinematographer, I can only access the music via DeTune, and the CMD-I command does nothing. I cannot view the music on the iPod via iTunes because iTunes wants me to sync (i.e.- Erase) and re-register the device. Thanks for the tip though.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I can no longer attempt this. After a week of no contact, I gave up hope of reuniting the shuffle with its owner and I gave it to my sister-in-law.

Good idea though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.