Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipolarbear6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
I am trying to point my Domain Name to MobileMe to host it but my registration company Network Solutions requires the CNAME as a DNS address in numerical format. I have put in web.me.com and it said I must use this format and gave me a number which I used instead and then continued with my upload from iWeb as explained in the help engine.

When it had uploaded, it said that MobileMe was now hosting my site and that it might take up to 48 hours so I waited and the went to look at the site a couple of days later but a window came up with my site name followed by :80 asking me to log in with my name and password. I have used every name and password combination that I use with my Mac and with Apple but none work. I did not password protect this deliberately as I need it to be open to the public.

Then I went back into Network Solutions which said that my site was still being hosted by it's previos host and gave me the option to point to another address so I put in web.me.com which was the right format and it came back
saying it was not a valid server. I went back to the CNAME but it hadn't
changed because clearly the number it gave me before was only an example.

Can anyone actually give me the DNS address in numeric format and will this stop the :80 login page thing?

rodjam

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008
Open Terminal, type host web.me.com and you will get 96.17.140.59
which is the number you want.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Can anyone actually give me the DNS address in numeric format and will this stop the :80 login page thing?

Did you try to enter: web.me.com.
include the dot at the end.

Open Terminal, type host web.me.com and you will get 96.17.140.59
which is the number you want.

You could not easy use that particular IP because web.me.com uses Akamai CDN. web.me.com have lots of different IP address depending on Geo Location.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
A CNAME record MUST be text, not numeric. So it's like:

web.me.com.

Notice the extra dot at the end. Otherwise it's an A record (and I have my domain set up at MobileMe and it was a CNAME record)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.