Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPickwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Just received a NoReve 4 Tradition leather case for my Apple iPhone 4. Here's a quick capsule review: very good communications from NoReve, item delivered bang on schedule, nice packaging with a blister pack which didn't require a stanley knife to open, case housed in a nice box. Quality leather, fits the pone like a glove, very snugly. Once the iPhone is in this case it feels a lot more reassuringly held in the hand, teh leather giving something to grip on. When closed, the case is very snug and slimline. A quality item.

Worries? The case closes by means of a little hooked clasp of leather which you press onto the top front of the iPhone. Will this scuff that part of the iPhone, in time, and/or become loose?

Niggles? I haven't tried removing the little button in the centre of teh back of teh case - where (if you wanted to look like a numpty) you could optionally attach a clip which allows you to wear your iPhone on your belt - so I don't know if the little covering stud can be totally removed. As it is, it's only a botehr when you set the iPhone down on a flat surface and wish to use it without first picking it up - the stud means the phone is not completely flat on teh surface so it rocks a little as you poke at the touchscreen.

Much worse, though, is the little metal 'NoReve' logo at the upper right hand corner of the case's front. Probably a forced removal of this will damage the case, but it would be so much better if it wasn't there. For one thing, it's a bit cheeky of NoReve to put such a prominent logo there. MOre importantly, when you open up your phone, and fold the case's front flap to teh back of teh phone (to avoid that dreadful 'flap hanging down' look), that little metal logo meets up almost exactly with the hole in the back of teh case which houses the camera. What a design blunder! So if you are not very careful, you'll be poking a little metal protuberance right into teh lens of your camera, every time you bend the flap back. This is a major, major issue, which I did not see mentioned in any reviews.

So, my questions:

1. Has anybody removed the NoReve logo. What was the result? Does it significantly damage the case?

2. Same question, regarding the back stud. Can it be easily and non-destructively removed?

Cheers
Mr Pickwick

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Don't remove it because it looks like it will leave a nasty hole thru the leather. It is bolted on. For the back just remove that round screw cover. You should have not purchased this case from the start though..

MrPickwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Don't remove it because it looks like it will leave a nasty hole thru the leather. It is bolted on. For the back just remove that round screw cover. You should have not purchased this case from the start though..

Really? Why should I not have purchased it?

MrPickwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Why purchase if you're not using the back clip and don't like the metal logo?

What are you, my Mother?!

I bought the case because I needed a case for my iPhone. The belt clip is of no use to me, but why should that put me off buying the case? It's an option.

I don't care about the metal logo, but I didn't realise, before I bought the case, that the metal logo lines up with the camera when you fold the case back.

EddieT

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Hiroshima, Japan
flap opening up

Hi. Picking up this old thread because I am interested in the case. If I bought it, I would sometimes use the belt clip. I am wondering if the tab on the covering flap becomes, over time, less likely the hold that flap on. In other words, would the thing be opening up on me, the flap dropping down off my belt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.