Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ystradisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Hi
My G5 has a broken screen (half of it is working, the other half alternates between various colours and lines). As a temporary measure, I want to use to finish off a project (until I get a chance to take it to be repaired). Am I able to connect it to my G4? If so what cable do I need and which port does it plug into please? I could get hold of a separate LCD screen if need be. Again, what cable would I use please? Sorry to ask what are possibly fairly basic questions!
Many thanks

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
The only way to use an iMac as a monitor is by using VNC software. I dont know if it will work in your case though.

Another easier option is to connect your mac to a TV providing the TV has a VGA or HDMI connection. You will need a mini DVI adapter from Apple but they are not expensive. There are different types tho so maybe take a photo before going into a store.

Ystradisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
mjsmke
You are a star! Thanks, I will do exactly that. I will connect to my TV - which does have VGA. I really did not think of that. Just did some more research and am told that you can't link from the Mac's video to HDMI. Not to worry though, the VGA will be fine. Thanks again.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
No problem. Don't forget about the adapter. There are different types so the easiest way is to take a photo and go to the apple store if theres one near you. You may have to play around with the display settings via system preferences>displays to get it right. Ive got a really old iMac G4 connected to my TV via VGA and use it as a media centre. Works fine.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
The G5 iMac has a mini VGA port not a mini DVI port so can only connect to a VGA port on any monitor/TV with a VGA port using a mini VGA to VGA adapter or using a mini VGA to S-video adapter into a tv with s-video input ,but i guess getting a cheapish monitor with vga in and using the mini vga to vga adapter is the cheapest interim solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.