PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 Help!! Wont Boot?!?!?

Monkey194545
Oct 6, 2010, 08:17 PM
I just recently purchased a powerbook g4 (1.33 12 inch) from PowerON Services. I turned it on for the first time and I was prompted to update to stuff ( osX being one of them) It then froze while installing the updates.

Now It wont boot, it is stuck on the grey screen. I tried loading from a tiger disc that I have but that didnt work. I just get a funky message saying to hold the restart button. Any words of wisdom??????

also note i tried resetting PRAM and tried booting in safe mode.

charlieroberts
Oct 6, 2010, 11:15 PM
Have you tired holding option while the OS CD is in the tray?

Or booting as TDM by holding T while booting. Just try and get it past the grey screen. If you can't it probably means something bad although I can't say for sure. Hopefully its just the HD that got corrupted.

666sheep
Oct 7, 2010, 12:49 AM
Try to boot with :apple: and "s" "shift" pressed on kbd (single user mode Safe mode). If it will work, just download Combo update for your OS and install it. Download it directly from Apple Support site, do not use Software Update. Tiger disc you have causes Kernel Panic, because it's probably for Intel Mac.

toolbox: good point, I'm always doing mistake between these two boot commands :)

Edited.

toolbox
Oct 7, 2010, 05:04 AM
What tiger disk do u have and what mac is it from? Intel versions of Tiger were not sold as a retail box package only bundled with new macs

You can't install a intel copy of os x onto a PPC and vice versa.

Booting to single user mode will only give u a command line shell nothing graphical

turn the machine on and press :apple:+v to put it in verbose mode have look at the text on the screen you may be able to determine the fault that way

Monkey194545
Oct 7, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the input, I will try all of the options when I get home from work today. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks!!

PowerGamerX
Oct 7, 2010, 10:08 AM
...and since it sounds like you bought it from a company, return that if none of it works. Also, buy a Core Duo Macbook or something. Unless you're collecting.

raysfan81
Oct 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
...and since it sounds like you bought it from a company, return that if none of it works. Also, buy a Core Duo Macbook or something. Unless you're collecting.

If your buying intel why not get at least a core 2 duo. The core duo wasn't that great and if I'm buying Intel I'm running snow leopard and future 64 bit OS's. Just my opinion.