PDA

View Full Version : 2 easy questions

michial
Oct 6, 2010, 08:30 PM
First, how do I just enable the ethernet on the new appletv. Yeah, yeah, I know..plug it in. haha. I did that but it still asked for the wifi. Things as I understand it will run much more stable and quick on a hardwire connection thats why I want to do the ethernet route.

Second, I have my imac in the same room as the apple tv. How do I disable the apple tv aluminum remote from operating my imac at the same time Im wanting to use it with the atv?

Thanks guys.

Also, will this thing stream video podcasts I download in itunes? Yes that was a third question I snuck in there.

Intell
Oct 6, 2010, 08:32 PM
Question 2 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023490

Try searching using MRoogle next time.

Mr Kram
Oct 6, 2010, 08:39 PM
question 1 - plug in the ethernet and setup via dhcp or manually. ignore the wifi settings.

iMJustAGuy
Oct 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Deleted/

DJinTX
Oct 6, 2010, 09:17 PM
3rd question:

I haven't tried streaming podcasts from my Mac to ATV because the ATV has a podcast section under internet. I would much rather turn off my Mac and stream directly over the internet.

DeusInvictus7
Oct 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
3rd question:

I haven't tried streaming podcasts from my Mac to ATV because the ATV has a podcast section under internet. I would much rather turn off my Mac and stream directly over the internet.

Lol that wasn't a question. But streaming podcasts from a Mac is just like any other video, works just fine.

michial
Oct 6, 2010, 09:42 PM
Question 2 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023490

Try searching using MRoogle next time.
what is mroogle?

Intell
Oct 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
http://mroogle.edesignuk.com/

The proper search engine for MacRumors Fourms.

michial
Oct 6, 2010, 09:47 PM
3rd question:

it doesnt seem to have all the podcasts. As a new mac user Im looking for good video podcast like macbreak weekly and macbreak. Maybe Im not finding the search functionality.
ps
If you can recommend any good mac podcasts Id appreciate it. Im loving learning about mac
thanks

michial
Oct 6, 2010, 09:48 PM
http://mroogle.edesignuk.com/

The proper search engine for MacRumors Fourms.

ahh, thanks. I actually did use the search window and went through several pages but couldnt find what I needed-thats when I posted a thread about it. thanks

michial
Oct 6, 2010, 09:50 PM
question 1 - plug in the ethernet and setup via dhcp or manually. ignore the wifi settings.

sorry but I dont know what dhcp is or how to set up manually. I tried other but couldnt figure it out. Im new to all this

Mr Kram
Oct 6, 2010, 09:53 PM
sorry but I dont know what dhcp is or how to set up manually. I tried other but couldnt figure it out. Im new to all this

dhcp basically means let the atv set itself up.

d21mike
Oct 6, 2010, 11:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What is the other end of the Ethernet cable plugged into. It sounds like you are not plugged into a router or switch.

SonicStomp
Oct 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
Check your Internet connection. I have mine connected via Ethernet and the atv recognized it and established connectivity automatically. No action required on my part. With a successful Ethernet connection the wifi is disabled.

pjarvi
Oct 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
3: It will play most video podcasts without issue. It depends on how the video was encoded, i've had some that won't sync to my AppleTV which gives an error in iTunes saying it is in an unsupported format for the AppleTV.

Other than MacBreak I watch CommandN. It tends to be more of general tech news coverage though, no tutorials or much of any hands-on coverage.

There may be a TWIT or CNet Podcast that covers Mac stuff. Revision3 should have something as well.

DJinTX
Oct 8, 2010, 11:15 AM
Lol that wasn't a question. But streaming podcasts from a Mac is just like any other video, works just fine.

I wasn't adding a question, I was answering his 3rd question (that he snuck in), and just labeled my answer accordingly.