PDA

View Full Version : 32GB Touch. 3G Refurb Vs. 4G New

speedythecat
Oct 6, 2010, 09:11 PM
I recently purchased a 4G 32GB Touch. I had not had a chance to mess with it until the last couple of days and I can see it has at the very least the light leakage issue which i could almost live with until the battery started acting up tonight as well.

I'm taking it back to wal-mart and I'm not sure what my next move is.

The apple store is selling the 3G 32GB refurbs for $225 which is about $70 cheaper than I can buy the 4G locally. Though I am not normally a fan of refurbished products, I have never read anything but high praise for the iPod refurbs over the years. To the point I have actually heard people say they have had better luck with the refurbs than the same models purchased new.

My wife and I had a pair of 3G 32GB touches last year but for details I will spare you, we no longer have them. Not because there was anything wrong with either of them, they were great.

Man, I just keep reading horror story after horror story on every forum about the 4G touch. I have no desire to take 7 models back to the store to get one that is near perfect, and yep I'm another one of those people who expect it to work properly for this kind of money. Right or wrong, just being honest. I am picky.

So what do you think? That refurb is looking pretty good to me. I could give a ratz rump less about the camera and I tend to play the more simple games so I'm not sure what a big deal the gyro would be for me or the slightly faster processor.

My number one concern is my music (remember when ipods were for music?) and then play with a few apps and occasionally surfing in a pinch. Also, would like to start taking more pictures (with my digital camera) to display on it as well.

I guess I'm a little confused in which I should get between the two formentioned models and I'm a little unsure if it is smart to upgrade the 3G to the new operating system if I go that route, or if that is asking for battery woes?

Anyway, appreciate some opinions.

Eric

tucker3434
Oct 6, 2010, 09:31 PM
Mine works great on the first attempt. Either I got lucky, or I'm just not that picky. Either way, the battery and screen are both perfect for my uses.

Mr Kram
Oct 6, 2010, 09:43 PM
up to you. the speed difference is noticeable and the display is clearly superior. people have mentioned though that games utilizing the retina display are hampered by the lack of RAM.

Alaerian
Oct 6, 2010, 10:20 PM
Man, I just keep reading horror story after horror story on every forum about the 4G touch. I have no desire to take 7 models back to the store to get one that is near perfect ...
Minority, not the majority.

eddy2099
Oct 6, 2010, 10:24 PM
No problem with mine (no exchange done). The Light Leak is an issue with a minority of the sets which are sold rather than the majority. It is certainly not an entire design fault.

Actually, the 4G is definitely worth more than the $70 difference as you get a better screen, camera and faster processor.

4DThinker
Oct 6, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm on my second 4g, as the first had a broken power button.

The differences are:
- 4x (2 times pixels in width x 2 times pixels in height) higher resolution screen.
- Two cameras with photo/video and facetime capability.
- Power button on the wrong (right) side.
- Volume now two buttons instead of a single rocker.
- So thin they warn you about hand cramps when using it.