Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I am running Half Life 2:

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz, 4GB RAM , Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
On steam in OSX
1440x900 (Native Res) Other settings left on recommended levels (mostly high)

Yesterday the game would play (smoothly) for about 5 mins then hang for 30 seconds then start moving again with a stutter as control and sound come back, this carried on for the whole time playing.

Today the game started out fine but in addition to the hang every 5 mins the game started to stutter as the frame rate hit the floor.

Any idea?
Could it be an overheating issue?

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
I don't have any great help, but don't want you to think no one cares. Does your MBP give you the option to turn the GPU on and off (and use the intel system graphics hardware otherwise)? You could fiddle with that, perhaps. I think it comes under 'power saving' in system preferences and you need to set it to 'maximum performance' and then log in/out.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
I am running Half Life 2:

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz, 4GB RAM , Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
On steam in OSX
1440x900 (Native Res) Other settings left on recommended levels (mostly high)

Yesterday the game would play (smoothly) for about 5 mins then hang for 30 seconds then start moving again with a stutter as control and sound come back, this carried on for the whole time playing.

Today the game started out fine but in addition to the hang every 5 mins the game started to stutter as the frame rate hit the floor.

Any idea?
Could it be an overheating issue?

This just started yesterday? Did you change ANYTHING at all? Add programs/updates/etc?

Did you also try to repair permissions with disk utility?

Do you have any other steam games or 3D intensive games to see if they still run properly?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I am running snow leopard. I have no pending updates except a 900k security update and itunes.

I now have my laptop on top of a Zalman 3000 laptop cooler and there is no more stuttering so I guess it must have been a heat issue. However it still hangs for 30 seconds about every 5 mins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.