PDA

View Full Version : Just loving my appleTV

needthephone
Oct 7, 2010, 06:35 AM
Second night with it and now fixed everything up with optical output to hifi.

With remote app this is brilliant. Fun messing about with YouTube and podcasts. Think well rent lost in translation tommorrow night.

Music is now so easy to play and sounds fantastic.

All our 1000,s of photos, hanbraked DVD,s too, for us this is just what we've been waiting for.

Once again apple have exceeded expectations. Truth be told I wasn't expecting much but this will only get better!!!

ukwildcat
Oct 7, 2010, 06:55 AM
Couldn't agree with you more.

trip1ex
Oct 7, 2010, 07:44 AM
Yes, but Lost in Translation sucks though. Don't rent it.

jsgreen
Oct 7, 2010, 07:51 AM
Yes, but Lost in Translation sucks though. Don't rent it.

Except for the final scene - you absolutely don't want to miss what he whispers in her ear, changes the whole plot up until then.

pshady
Oct 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
Will it play the videos in your iPhoto library too?

wodeh
Oct 7, 2010, 11:38 AM
Been ripping DVDs every evening this week, and queuing things up for conversion overnight.

The remote UI on the iPad is great once all the DVD box art is in place, very 3-year-old friendly. It's not so much that she abuses the DVDs, but that we can't be bothered to put 'em away.

Now there are reams of films just a tap away!

I wholly agree with the storage-less methodology of the Apple TV, it's way, way ahead of its time and, for the moment, we have to use our home computers to fill that gap until buy-and-store-in-the-cloud becomes a reality.

Having never turned our iMac off a day since we bought it, and it's connected to a UPS to make sure if that, the Apple TV fits right in beautifully. All I need now is a price reduction, because even £99 gets expensive when you want 4 more of them!

I dream of the day when we just subscribe to unlimited, on-demand audio and video entertainment, the day when artists finally tell recording studios to go F themselves and are content with gigging and merchandise revenues, and movie studios are finally content with cinema revenues. They can't keep this monopoly on culture. Every human has a right to veg-out on the sofa, munching popcorn, drooling and defecating themselves until they grow obese and die a sad and lonely death.

Okay... I got carried away.

Suffice to say, I love the Apple TV for what it is, and love it more for what it'll become when the jailbreakers release something that'll let Joe Public unlock its potential.

dXTC
Oct 7, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm going to pause my wringing of hands for just a second to post this...

I finally got one of these on my lunch break today! (!!!!1!!one, LOL :D) It took me a smattering of phone calls and trips in vain to my Apple Store over the past week, but I have a feeling it'll be more than worth it. Virtually my entire DVD collection has already been Handbraked, as well as those of my daughter-- no more scratching up those Disney DVDs!

Since I watch more YouTube than actual TV, this is a BIG bonus for me. I dig Ray William Johnson, Shane Dawson and others for a quick laugh, and YouTube is a treasure trove for music videos (no more lamenting the demise of MTV).

I think I may eventually have to get faster Internet, though-- I only have 3 Mbps, and I fear that won't be enough for smooth HD rentals.

needthephone
Oct 7, 2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry for my gushing praise. If anyone can be bothered they will see that I have at times been extremely critical of apple at times and am not a complete fan boy- yes I love their stuff I admit as is just leaps and bounds above everyone else.

Look at the appleTV remote???
Just how the hell did they make that??
Most companies would be content with a 30c plastic box . No apple appeared to have somehow extruded aluminium then machined it or somehow joined two halves seamlessly together. Or is this the result of their purchase of that metal injection company?

Seriously look at it and tell me how they made it and didn't loose a fortune on it??

Still love my apple TV though. Its this almost anal attention to detail I love about apple. More power to you Steve Jobs, you raise the standard in a sea of mediocrity.

dXTC
Oct 7, 2010, 11:01 PM
Sorry for my gushing praise. If anyone can be bothered they will see that I have at times been extremely critical of apple at times and am not a complete fan boy- yes I love their stuff I admit as is just leaps and bounds above everyone else.

No need for apology. It's OK to be really happy with a product.

in fact, I'm probably as giddy as you are. My new :apple:tv is installed and works like a freakin' charm. My wife was impressed by its smooth operation and is now off to download the Remote app for her iPod touch so she can control it better, and we may be activating a NetFlix account in the coming days.

bbtrinet
Oct 8, 2010, 11:42 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Apple TV as well. It's changed everything in our home for the better.

We were used to watching TV on our Tivo, and using Netflix on the Tivo interface. My daughter watched her own Disney DVDs in the DVD player. She was annoyed at how she put a DVD in, and it took sometimes almost 3-4 MINUTES to get the movie to start - because you HAVE TO watch the previews, FBI warnings, etc. And a lot of the DVDs are scratched, and they freeze in parts.

Now, I've ripped her Disney DVDs using HandBrake to my iMac, and my daughter can watch a movie within 5 seconds of clicking on it. She loves to go back and forth through her DVDs now.

The interface is so great, that we are also using Netflix on the Apple TV over the Tivo Netflix. The implementation is so much better on the Apple TV.

dXTC
Oct 8, 2010, 12:01 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Apple TV as well. It's changed everything in our home for the better.

We were used to watching TV on our Tivo, and using Netflix on the Tivo interface. My daughter watched her own Disney DVDs in the DVD player. She was annoyed at how she put a DVD in, and it took sometimes almost 3-4 MINUTES to get the movie to start - because you HAVE TO watch the previews, FBI warnings, etc. And a lot of the DVDs are scratched, and they freeze in parts.

Now, I've ripped her Disney DVDs using HandBrake to my iMac, and my daughter can watch a movie within 5 seconds of clicking on it. She loves to go back and forth through her DVDs now.

The interface is so great, that we are also using Netflix on the Apple TV over the Tivo Netflix. The implementation is so much better on the Apple TV.

The power of :apple:tv cannot be underestimated when children's movie collections are involved. The discs in my daughter's DVD collection (Disney, Dreamworks, Fox etc.) were starting to get some serious wear and tear, too. I've Handbraked them all over the past couple of years, and the same files play fine on the :apple:tv and my nano (great for placating a fidgety kid while waiting at an office or restaurant).

If I were handier with automotive electronics, I'd get a previous-gen :apple:tv and install it in the car after syncing most of my daughter's favorite movies to it. (Has anyone heard of a "Pimp My Kia?" LOL)

ChargerSteve
Oct 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
If I were handier with automotive electronics, I'd get a previous-gen :apple:tv and install it in the car after syncing most of my daughter's favorite movies to it. (Has anyone heard of a "Pimp My Kia?" LOL)

I went to some expense and time a couple years ago to install a flip-down screen and new stereo/DVD/Nav in our family van. The stereo has an iPod interface and we have it permanently connected to an iPod classic with a bunch of music and movies. The movies on the iPod will play through the stereo and the flip-down screen.

It's all pretty slick, but I regret doing it. If I had it to do over again, I would have axed the flip-down screen and DVD stereo and just bought two iPads for the kids to use on long trips. They'd have better quality video, they could watch independently, take it anywhere, play games, etc. I don't think you'll see too many permanently installed DVD/video systems in cars in a few years.

DJinTX
Oct 8, 2010, 12:47 PM
So for the handbreak enthusiasts, how long does a standard movie on DVD take to complete the process from start to finish?

techguy40
Oct 8, 2010, 12:55 PM
So for the handbreak enthusiasts, how long does a standard movie on DVD take to complete the process from start to finish?

About 1 hour.

dXTC
Oct 8, 2010, 02:08 PM

About 1 hour.

That's a fair estimate. My iMac (see my sig) is 3 years old. I'm running a rather recent nightly build of HandBrake, and my encode time for a ~90-minute film straight from the DVD is 45-50 minutes, provided I'm not doing anything else on the iMac. HandBrake is very CPU-intensive; the beefier the processor you can throw at it, the better. Ripping the DVD to a folder on the hard drive helps the encoding process, reducing encode time by about 5-10 minutes, but then you have to take the time to rip the DVD beforehand.

Avatar took about 1 hr 20 minutes (*from a ripped folder), but then again it's nearly three hours long.

Mike Oxard
Oct 8, 2010, 02:19 PM
The power of :apple:tv cannot be underestimated when children's movie collections are involved.

I think the best thing is that you have real control over what they are watching, and they don't see as many adverts.

I also bought ours a G4 iMac for Christmas, all music, video and Audiobooks are on it. I keep surreptitiously adding natural history tv shows ;) They get watched as much as/ more than anything else.

UTclassof89
Oct 8, 2010, 02:20 PM
I HATE my appleTV:

Nothing works. It won't recognize my netflix password (had to call Netflix to get them to reset it), my appleID, or my computer (discovered after opening the box that it required iTunes 10, which in turn required OS 10.5 ... and I have 10.4.11).

Apple suggested I pay $129 to upgrade (on a powerPC that has perhaps another year of serviceable life).

Gonna return appleTV instead.

MrMister111
Oct 8, 2010, 02:36 PM
Been ripping DVDs every evening this week, and queuing things up for conversion overnight.

Virtually my entire DVD collection has already been Handbraked, as well as those of my daughter-- no more scratching up those Disney DVDs!

Can I ask what settings/app/preset your using please? I'm busy doing this, and also converting some avi's I have to Apple flavour to. I'm using either Handbrake with AppleTV preset on my iMac or on a Windows PC DVD Catalyst, with AppleTV preset.

I have a Apple TV 1Gen, but maybe in future get a Apple TV 2G for my daughter for her room.

any hints?

wrkngclasshero
Oct 8, 2010, 02:54 PM
Use the Apple TV preset in Handbrake. I also add the detelecine and decomb filters as well. Should leave you with a great movie that is very close to the DVD in terms of PQ.

I personally waited to try my hand at HD encodes until I had the ATV2. The ATV1 just seems a bit limited in that respect.

That's my $0.02!!

sandyjmacdonald
Oct 8, 2010, 03:02 PM
I HATE my appleTV:

Nothing works. It won't recognize my netflix password (had to call Netflix to get them to reset it), my appleID, or my computer (discovered after opening the box that it required iTunes 10, which in turn required OS 10.5 ... and I have 10.4.11).

Apple suggested I pay $129 to upgrade (on a powerPC that has perhaps another year of serviceable life).

Impulse buy, was it?

Maybe you should have researched it better before you bought it.

dXTC
Oct 8, 2010, 03:03 PM
I HATE my appleTV:

I know how you feel, in a way. I had (still have) a Turtle Beach Maui soundcard. Loved it-- easy to use, cheap, yet powerful sampler card. Unfortunately, it's ISA. I no longer have any running machine to install it. We've both been "outmoded".

That said, the iTunes 10 requirement was mentioned on the website. Still, throwing $129 after $99 may not be a good idea in some situations. After you return your :apple:tv, you may want to look into another Netflix-enabled box.

Can I ask what settings/app/preset your using please? I'm busy doing this, and also converting some avi's I have to Apple flavour to. I'm using either Handbrake with AppleTV preset on my iMac or on a Windows PC DVD Catalyst, with AppleTV preset.

I have a Apple TV 1Gen, but maybe in future get a Apple TV 2G for my daughter for her room.

any hints?

I'm using iPod Hi-Res, so that it'll fit on my nano (average 90-minute film takes ~700-750MB of space) and play acceptably on the :apple:tv. However, this does reduce vertical resolution in the final file. If you want to preserve 480p, you'll need to look at the "AppleTV" preset and be prepared for somewhat larger file sizes.

UTclassof89
Oct 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
Impulse buy, was it?

Maybe you should have researched it better before you bought it.

No; it wasn't an impulse buy.
But I guess I should have known checking systems requirements on Apple's site was not research enough (AppleTV lists none, so I chatted with Apple Store help--who said 10.4.8 was required).

I had iTunes 9, and didn't expect they'd drop support for my OS in the very next version (stupid me)

chrono1081
Oct 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
I cant WAIT to try out Apple TV! I had no interest in the old one but I LOVE the new one (from what I've read).

Its actually here sitting on my desk, but its a Christmas gift for my Dad and he is home right now so I can't set it up until he leaves...(I probably could and he'd have no idea I was even doing anything).

He isn't good with electronics so I will set it up to my parents wifi so its ready to go straight out of the box when he opens it. My Mom and I have also been feverishly ripping his insane DVD collection to my Moms iMac. (My computer can rip 6 - 8 movies in the time it takes her to rip one! Lol).

Its a LOT heavier and more solid than I thought it would be which I like.

needthephone
Oct 8, 2010, 04:16 PM
Yes I too find hanbrake takes about an hour per film.

What put me off the old apple tv was that it was obviously a cut down computer with it's own hard drive. Why did thus put me off?? I've never been a fan of synicing and having my music and films in different locations.

I loath syncing. I don't even know what it's going to do. Will it make everything the same as my Mac or my hypothetical apple tv1 or will it make it so the same files are on each??

Same when I plug in my iPhone. I dread what's it's going to do. Do you want to sync contacts notes, music. I click what I feel is best and wait in anticipation, usually my iPhone is screwed up and I have to manually rebuild it!

Some features I'd like to see.
Like to be able to BUY iTunes content from atv is like you can from iTunes on a pc/Mac. When you click buy it downloads to your pc/Mac but you do this from your couch .

To be able to make playlists from atv. Maybe this can be dine already.

To be able to play my raw unedited iPhone video which has been download to iPhoto.

Create slideshows from atv.

Surf Internet on my tv...

Use skype on my atv

Use apps..

So what I'm trying to say, thanks apple for making it simple. Glad you dropped the hard drive and for making this discrete little box so discrete. I don't want to have to stare at a cut down computer as I watch the Telly, that's just me.

One final thing can you explain what syncing means when I plug my iPhone into iTunes. I'm a simpleton engineer who needs these things spelling out..

MrMister111
Oct 8, 2010, 05:02 PM
Use the Apple TV preset in Handbrake. I also add the detelecine and decomb filters as well. Should leave you with a great movie that is very close to the DVD in terms of PQ.

I personally waited to try my hand at HD encodes until I had the ATV2. The ATV1 just seems a bit limited in that respect.

That's my $0.02!!

Can I ask what the detelecine and decomb things, whatever they are will do, and why you feel the need to add them? I dont know much about this technically, but know how to encode, and thats why HB is so good. I just use stock aTV preset though, as thought the makers of HB must know best?

cheers

koopa35
Oct 8, 2010, 08:05 PM
Second night with it and now fixed everything up with optical output to hifi.

With remote app this is brilliant. Fun messing about with YouTube and podcasts. Think well rent lost in translation tommorrow night.

Music is now so easy to play and sounds fantastic.

All our 1000,s of photos, hanbraked DVD,s too, for us this is just what we've been waiting for.

Once again apple have exceeded expectations. Truth be told I wasn't expecting much but this will only get better!!!

this is my first day with it and its pretty good. i feel if it had some sort of live tv it would be the greatest. i feel it has that potential. one thing is the remote app was a bit confusing at first. there should be a back button on it. pressing menu to get back on some screens take you home. speaking of home when in music library how do i get back to main menu? i ended up using dtock remote to get home.

remote app needs a back and a home button. ill give the unit 3 out of 4 stars. live tv will give it five stars.

chrono1081
Oct 8, 2010, 09:17 PM
Ok so I set up the Apple TV and LOVE it! This one is mine, my sister will be getting my Dad his for Christmas.

Streaming Avatar to the ATV right now and it looks AMAZING. (Granted my rip is amazing ;) )

jaw04005
Oct 8, 2010, 09:24 PM
I love the form factor, but since I already owned an Apple TV and the new one offers little above the old model (and is even missing a few features) I donít love it yet.

The software has major problems and hopefully the November update will get it where it needs to be.

koopa35
Oct 8, 2010, 09:48 PM
I love the form factor, but since I already owned an Apple TV and the new one offers little above the old model (and is even missing a few features) I donít love it yet.

The software has major problems and hopefully the November update will get it where it needs to be.

who said atv will be updated in nov? link pls

JSMencer
Oct 8, 2010, 10:33 PM
so will handbrake rip the dvd too, or what is everyone using to rip the DVD.

wodeh
Oct 9, 2010, 06:33 AM
I've been ripping all my DVDs using Handbrake's "High Profile" preset, I usually take a quick trip to the audio tab (if I remember) to add a 5.1 AC3 pass-though in addition to the 2 channel AAC mix-down it'll do by default.

DVDs take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour on a Core i7 iMac, 8GB RAM.

I haven't seen an advert for a Bratz doll in a week. Nirvana.

The one problem with making all the DVDs so easily accessible to a child is their short attention span- just as you're getting into a movie they'll hit another one on the lovely iPad remote app.

On the upside, quick access to over 100 episodes of Tom and Jerry is brilliant!

diabolic
Oct 9, 2010, 01:19 PM
who said atv will be updated in nov? link pls

I'm interested in that link too. The only November update that's supposed be coming is 4.2 for the iPad. I doubt it will change anything for the AppleTV except adding Airplay to the iPad itself.

newagemac
Oct 9, 2010, 01:41 PM
Well at the keynote when they previewed iOS 4.2 along with the new Apple TV, Jobs did say that all iOS devices would be updated to 4.2 in November. Now that we know that the Apple TV is running iOS as well, I guess you can conclude that it will be receiving an update at that time.

diabolic
Oct 9, 2010, 02:24 PM
What changes are you expecting to see? I seriously doubt apps will be coming to the AppleTV anytime before next year. Other than Airplay, I don't see anything that could be imminent, and certainly no big surprises in the short term.

DJinTX
Oct 9, 2010, 02:53 PM
What changes are you expecting to see? I seriously doubt apps will be coming to the AppleTV anytime before next year. Other than Airplay, I don't see anything that could be imminent, and certainly no big surprises in the short term.

Based on these forums there are several software glitches that they will hopefully address. I hope they add back the ability to use album artwork as screensaver. I'm not so keen on animals and flowers. I could use my iPhoto library, but I really like album artwork for this. And just general stability fixes. It's good software, but there is certainly room for improvement. Not to mention, I'm sure they will be adding AirPlay support files to match what the iPhones/iPods/iPads will be getting. I doubt an app store will be announced this soon, but maybe they will add some new functionality (Hulu+ maybe, or something similar would be nice. And, even though the streaming seems pretty good, they can always improve coding and make things work even better/snappier.

newagemac
Oct 9, 2010, 03:03 PM
This is the first time iOS has been used as a dedicated media streamer. I would expect there would be many improvements to the user interface and features they have planned but didn't have time for the launch. Just look at the user interface improvements and features added to the iPhone from it's original launch.

I bet what you see now is just a start. One of the benefits of the new model is it relies on iOS which is being continually updated and improved with Apple's best team and full resources. The original wasn't even based on Leopard. It was based on Tiger so that's probably a big reason why updates and improvements were few are far between. Apple had moved their design and development resources on to Leopard and Snow Leopard. Nowadays, iOS seems to be getting even more coding resources and attention than OS X so that's good for the Apple TV.

kevingaffney
Oct 9, 2010, 03:39 PM
Got mine today. Love the seamless integration between ipad, iphone atv. Another great addition to my apple collection of gadgets

koopa35
Oct 9, 2010, 08:47 PM
off topic my :apple:TV runs 4.0 i could have sworn it said 4.1

needthephone
Oct 9, 2010, 09:04 PM
Yes one thing when you use the aTV is that you feel detached from the world somehow- and that may not be a good thing.

I'd like to see some real time news updates or even a count of how many people are watching their apple TV's. It just feels a bit dead when you browse the menu, some music and or commentry or something would make you feel more "connected"

Probably just me! They have the opportunity of creating a social network too with all the people watching and hooked up to their apple TV network.

One thing about TV is the water cooler conversations it generates. Did you see so and so last night. This is gone with things like aTV . Just an observation

koopa35
Oct 9, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yes one thing when you use the aTV is that you feel detached from the world somehow- and that may not be a good thing.

I'd like to see some real time news updates or even a count of how many people are watching their apple TV's. It just feels a bit dead when you browse the menu, some music and or commentry or something would make you feel more "connected"

Probably just me! They have the opportunity of creating a social network too with all the people watching and hooked up to their apple TV network.

One thing about TV is the water cooler conversations it generates. Did you see so and so last night. This is gone with things like aTV . Just an observation

i agree with you. live tv would be great. and maybe a few widgets for news and social networking

From A Buick 8
Oct 9, 2010, 10:12 PM
so will handbrake rip the dvd too, or what is everyone using to rip the DVD.

Handbrake will rip some, Mac The Ripper (the free 2.66 version) will rip even more and the full version of Mac The Ripper will pretty much do everything else.

I have been ripping about 10 at a time to my hard drive then use the batch feature in handbrake to que them up and let HB do it's thing overnight. I just use the AppleTV preset.

mjmchase
Oct 10, 2010, 11:33 PM
I picked up my Apple TV from Amazon, got it yesterday. I had been using a PS3 to stream Netflix, and could never get MediaLink to stream my iMac content properly with it, so I am very happy with my ATV. Netflix looks great, my current media in iTunes looks great, and the TV episode I rented was perfect. I can see myself picking up another ATV for the living room soon.
I have been using Handbrake to add video to my iTunes library, just using their Apple TV setting, with good results.

techguy40
Oct 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
I picked up my Apple TV from Amazon, got it yesterday. I had been using a PS3 to stream Netflix, and could never get MediaLink to stream my iMac content properly with it, so I am very happy with my ATV. Netflix looks great, my current media in iTunes looks great, and the TV episode I rented was perfect. I can see myself picking up another ATV for the living room soon.
I have been using Handbrake to add video to my iTunes library, just using their Apple TV setting, with good results.

I recommend getting the latest nightly build of Handbrake and use the high profile setting. Be sure to change RF to 18 an turn off filters. Its way better than the old apple tv setting.

chriso89
Oct 11, 2010, 03:50 AM
i got mine 1 day ago:D i LOVE IT:) i use apple tv as an airplay speaker:D

the picture turns green and pink every hour on mye brothers new philips LED tv but on my older panasonic plasma it is perfect:D:D

Omne666
Oct 11, 2010, 06:35 AM
After reading so many posts here, I WONT be getting one in a hurry.

Why?

Because I already run 4 of the old versions, love the way they work, and definitely DO NOT want my content shifted from either 'shared movies' or 'my movies' ( I have 2 machines streaming, 2 synced), to a 'my computer' menu area. Right now it's damn near perfect, the new version isn't providing me with anything new, though the more powerful chip is tempting, so, I'm sticking where I am.

I do need one more unit, and when I'm ready I'll buy an old version I'm thinking.

sculfort
Oct 11, 2010, 08:25 AM
Stupid question

Can you use handbreak to rip to external hard drive connected to macbook pro and access that through appletv?

dXTC
Oct 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
Stupid question

Can you use handbreak to rip to external hard drive connected to macbook pro and access that through appletv?

Not necessarily stupid, but it has been asked before.

The answer is yes, HandBrake can save to an external hard drive. Your MacBook Pro's iTunes can access files in locations other than the default iTunes media folder. For example, my movies are stored on an external FireWire hard drive, while my music collection is on my iMac's internal drive. This is done by going into iTunes Preferences > Advanced (Edit > Edit Preferences in iTunes for Windows) and turning "Copy media to iTunes default location when adding to library" Off when adding movies, and turning it back On to add music.

If your underlying question is, "Can I use HandBrake to rip to an external hard drive and stream directly from it without having to use my MacBook or some other computer?", the answer is definitely No. :apple:tv must see an active, running iTunes library that references the media you want to play. An external hard drive without a computer will not suffice.

techguy40
Oct 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Not necessarily stupid, but it has been asked before.

The answer is yes, HandBrake can save to an external hard drive. Your MacBook Pro's iTunes can access files in locations other than the default iTunes media folder. For example, my movies are stored on an external FireWire hard drive, while my music collection is on my iMac's internal drive. This is done by going into iTunes Preferences > Advanced (Edit > Edit Preferences in iTunes for Windows) and turning "Copy media to iTunes default location when adding to library" Off when adding movies, and turning it back On to add music.

If your underlying question is, "Can I use HandBrake to rip to an external hard drive and stream directly from it without having to use my MacBook or some other computer?", the answer is definitely No. :apple:tv must see an active, running iTunes library that references the media you want to play. An external hard drive without a computer will not suffice.

Thats a great idea. My macbook pro internal hard drive is getting full of movies. I will use an external hard drive and connect it to my airport extreme and have Itunes point to that when adding movies. I can save so much space doing what you said above.

If i need to travel, i can always connect my external hard drive to my macbook pro to view movies on my computer.

wvuwhat
Oct 11, 2010, 08:53 PM
Absolutely loving mine. Wasn't expecting the whole internet radio stations "app," but was pleasantly surprised. My handbrake files look great and Netflix streaming is so much easier and hassle-free than on my ps3's. I just figured out one of my Christmas presents to my parents.

The "only" thing that I wish it has was the ability to play Amazon VOD stuff. That would be the icing on the cake that would make me buy one for every room in my house.

blueprint1983
Oct 11, 2010, 09:04 PM
Well, I just got mine and I would say it's worth the $103 BUT -

I expect a big update.
I want some sort of this "Live" aspect we all talk about ie - a CNN, Fox News, or something with mainstream breaking news.
I don't want it but I expect the social networking aspect will in fact be the next logical step.

How do you turn on Apple TV without a remote?

DJinTX
Oct 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
Well, I just got mine and I would say it's worth the $103 BUT -

I expect a big update.
I want some sort of this "Live" aspect we all talk about ie - a CNN, Fox News, or something with mainstream breaking news.
I don't want it but I expect the social networking aspect will in fact be the next logical step.

How do you turn on Apple TV without a remote?

I don't think you can. Although, you could set ATV to never sleep, and just always leave it on. It is very energy efficient.

Poobah22
Oct 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
I recommend getting the latest nightly build of Handbrake and use the high profile setting. Be sure to change RF to 18 an turn off filters. Its way better than the old apple tv setting.

I tried this last night. Probably a stupid newbie question, but every time I went in to change the RF to 18 and turn off the filters, Handbrake would get out of High Profile preset and call it "custom". I hooked my MBP up to TV to look at the movie when I was done and it looked really good, but I just don't know if I could have made it better. Did I do it right?

thetruth1985
Oct 12, 2010, 08:45 AM
I tried this last night. Probably a stupid newbie question, but every time I went in to change the RF to 18 and turn off the filters, Handbrake would get out of High Profile preset and call it "custom". I hooked my MBP up to TV to look at the movie when I was done and it looked really good, but I just don't know if I could have made it better. Did I do it right?

Hey what's the purpose of turning off the filters?

newagemac
Oct 12, 2010, 09:08 AM
The filters are for detelicining and deinterlacing interlaced content (like 1080i). DVDs and Blu Rays aren't telecined or interlaced. They are 480p and 1080p so deinterlacing is not needed. If you leave the filters on and nothing is required to be done, it won't hurt anything but it will slow down your encode a bit.

Tulipone
Oct 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have the old white ATV as well as the new? Is there any real difference in reality one over the other, hard drive aside?

I have the old and wondering why I need the new!

Chris

jajohns8
Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have the old white ATV as well as the new? Is there any real difference in reality one over the other, hard drive aside?

Chris
I own the old one as well as the new one.

I am actually taking my Apple TV 2 back. I love the old one and will not part with it.

The stutter while playing back HD material (Handbraked or Itunes rentals), buggy homesharing, mishandling of Itunes metadata, not displaying subtitles correctly etc. have simply made it a 'not quite ready for prime time' investment, in my opinion.

There are plenty on these boards who love it, it just doesn't work well for me.

I am confident though, that Apple will fix the problems listed above. It is a nice piece of hardware with some nice capabilities. Hope it's not abandoned.

techguy40
Oct 12, 2010, 08:16 PM

Yes you did it correctly. I love my new apple tv.

fpnc
Oct 12, 2010, 10:54 PM

Chris
The only reason (at present) why you might want the ATV2 is for the Netflix integration. Otherwise, the original model is just fine and perhaps even better in some respects (when not even considering the integrated hard drive in the ATV1).

P.S. I have both the ATV1 and ATV2 but just today I've loaned my ATV2 to my parents so that they could try out Netflix. If they like it I may just allow them to keep it since my ATV1 is still serving me well and I can already get Netflix on my PS3.

pasipple
Oct 12, 2010, 11:19 PM
Thats a great idea. My macbook pro internal hard drive is getting full of movies. I will use an external hard drive and connect it to my airport extreme and have Itunes point to that when adding movies. I can save so much space doing what you said above.

If i need to travel, i can always connect my external hard drive to my macbook pro to view movies on my computer.

That's the setup I'm running. WD Passport Studio via USB at the AirPort Extreme. Hands free...no need to have your HD plugged into your Mac. This way...my MacBook Pro stays mobile. Runs great....couldn't be happier. Used to have to run a Mini-port to HDMI adapter from the Plasma to the Mac. Loving my ATV2 and can't wait for the JB and apps.

cornbrown
Oct 13, 2010, 10:27 AM
Coming from a Media Gate 350HD I can say I am enjoying my ATV2. I do not have this stuttering problem that a few are complaining about. I have been playing with the ATV2 for a few days now. It is connected to my wireless network. My internet speed is 18Mbs down. I have watched 2012 that I ripped to my 2TB HD with Handbrake. No complaints there. Last night I watched Fast and Furious from Netflix, Again no problems. I also used the ATV to stream my music in Itunes, to my Hi Fi system. LOVE MY NEW TOY, ATV2. Almost forget. I tried Youtube, and internet radio features. They all work great. Not bad for $100. I will be buying 2 more Units from the Apple Store. I pre-ordered my first ATV2 and hate the wait. I won't do that again.

newagemac
Oct 13, 2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah the wait sucks but Apple's site is now reporting shipping times of 5-7 days whereas before it was 2 to 3 weeks.

From A Buick 8
Oct 13, 2010, 11:22 AM
That's the setup I'm running. WD Passport Studio via USB at the AirPort Extreme. Hands free...no need to have your HD plugged into your Mac. This way...my MacBook Pro stays mobile. Runs great....couldn't be happier. Used to have to run a Mini-port to HDMI adapter from the Plasma to the Mac. Loving my ATV2 and can't wait for the JB and apps.

Glad to hear that you are running you ext hdd from your Airport Extreme, right now i have my Ext HDD running from firwwire on my iMac but i am planning to upgrade to an Airport Extreme and run the Ext HDD from the USB port.

pedz
Oct 13, 2010, 12:21 PM
Some other reasons you might want atv2:
- netflix (as stated above). Excellent interface.
- buffering is much better. I can ffw and rew my movies now with no problem, and it keeps the buffer as long as it can. This was a big win for me.
- handles 720p better and higher bit rates. My old atv couldn't play my 720p movies well, this one has no problem.
- airplay, will be out next month.
- .99 tv show rentals, though selection makes this feature pretty limited at this point.
- more choices for screensaver (not a big deal, but I like oragami :) )
- Don't need to sync with itunes. When I add a video to itunes it just shows up.

Agree that the way tv shows are organized is annoying, hopefully it will get fixed.

scgf
Oct 13, 2010, 01:22 PM
The big deal for me is that the picture quality is better. Not so much for HD material, but SD is MUCH better. If you rip a DVD using Handbrake on the High Profile setting you will get a picture which is practically identical to the original DVD. With my old ATV SD was so poor I couldn't bring myself to watch anything unless it was HD.

fpnc
Oct 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
The big deal for me is that the picture quality is better. Not so much for HD material, but SD is MUCH better. If you rip a DVD using Handbrake on the High Profile setting you will get a picture which is practically identical to the original DVD. With my old ATV SD was so poor I couldn't bring myself to watch anything unless it was HD.
YMMV, but lots of people ripped DVDs for their ATV1 and felt that the copy was almost indistinguishable from the original.

As for 720p playback, I've never had much of a problem with that on my ATV1 (as long as I kept the bitrate and framerate within the stated limits of the device). It's true that the ATV2 handles higher bitrates and it also supports 720p at 30fps (the ATV1 stops at 24fps), so that's a plus if you have 30fps content that you want maintain at full 720p resolution.

Thus, beyond Netflix and the support for 30fps HD I can't really say that the new ATV is that much better than the original. Of course, this situation could change with a few software updates to the ATV2, so in another year (or less) the situation could be totally different.

pedz
Oct 13, 2010, 02:05 PM
Agree that the atv2 is definitely evolutionary, and even there not dramatically. But for me the netflix integration is huge, gives me one place to watch movies (rent, stream from netflix, or stream my own). And I forgot to mention the 30fps on 720p, that is also huge (original atv can't even play video from the iphone!) Most of my home movies now are in 720p/30 so this makes a big difference for me as I watch home movies through the atv.

How much or little the new atv is better than the previous really depends on how you use it.

mensrea
Oct 14, 2010, 01:02 AM
The only reason (at present) why you might want the ATV2 is for the Netflix integration. Otherwise, the original model is just fine and perhaps even better in some respects (when not even considering the integrated hard drive in the ATV1).

P.S. I have both the ATV1 and ATV2 but just today I've loaned my ATV2 to my parents so that they could try out Netflix. If they like it I may just allow them to keep it since my ATV1 is still serving me well and I can already get Netflix on my PS3.

Count me in. I have 2 ATV1s and pre-ordered my ATV2. I don't really like it. I LOVE my old ones.

Problems with ATV2 IMO:

1. Rental only is lame. I like to buy HD movies where possible, and without internal storage this is not possible. Have to do it on one of the macs which after so many years of one click purchase on ATV1 which is then seamlessly/automatically sent to the Mac and then synced to the other ATV1 in the bedroom this feels like a step backward.

2. Rental only is lame. Part 2. Limited partners for rental TV is frustrating. I missed an SNL I wanted to see, so i whipped out the IP4 and started searching for SNL on the new ATV2 using Remote. Nothing came up! Took a while before it clicked that since its rental only and NBC isn't on board the show doesn't exist to ATV2. LAME!

3. Interface sucks! They need to handle shared libraries the same way as its done on ATV1. "My X" under the media type rather than a whole separate menu which doesn't remember where you were last. LAME!

Basically, my ATV2 is sitting on my desk unplugged, waiting for iOS 4.2. It's really the only thing that I see as a benefit. Streaming from my iP4 or iPad will be cool, I hope. If not, the ATV2 will have no place in my life.

MowingDevil
Oct 14, 2010, 02:33 AM

Whats the detelecine filter do? Should it always be on default?

thetruth1985
Oct 14, 2010, 05:54 AM
Count me in. I have 2 ATV1s and pre-ordered my ATV2. I don't really like it. I LOVE my old ones.

Problems with ATV2 IMO:

1. Rental only is lame. I like to buy HD movies where possible, and without internal storage this is not possible. Have to do it on one of the macs which after so many years of one click purchase on ATV1 which is then seamlessly/automatically sent to the Mac and then synced to the other ATV1 in the bedroom this feels like a step backward.

2. Rental only is lame. Part 2. Limited partners for rental TV is frustrating. I missed an SNL I wanted to see, so i whipped out the IP4 and started searching for SNL on the new ATV2 using Remote. Nothing came up! Took a while before it clicked that since its rental only and NBC isn't on board the show doesn't exist to ATV2. LAME!

3. Interface sucks! They need to handle shared libraries the same way as its done on ATV1. "My X" under the media type rather than a whole separate menu which doesn't remember where you were last. LAME!

Basically, my ATV2 is sitting on my desk unplugged, waiting for iOS 4.2. It's really the only thing that I see as a benefit. Streaming from my iP4 or iPad will be cool, I hope. If not, the ATV2 will have no place in my life.

Well if it makes you feel any better, all snl episodes are coming to netflix and new episodes will be online the day after they air live.

mattwolfmatt
Oct 14, 2010, 06:14 AM
I loath syncing.

When I plug in my iPhone. I dread what's it's going to do. Do you want to sync contacts notes, music. I click what I feel is best and wait in anticipation, usually my iPhone is screwed up and I have to manually rebuild it!

One final thing can you explain what syncing means when I plug my iPhone into iTunes. I'm a simpleton engineer who needs these things spelling out..

May I suggest MobileMe? It might be worth the 60 day free trial, at least. Then for you it's AU$119 a year, but you probably can find it on amazon for about 1/2 (we can in the US, anyway). It's seamless syncing, and I have contacts, calendars, bookmarks all synced on 3 macs, an iphone, an ipod touch, and an ipad. It all works great.

steviem
Oct 14, 2010, 06:32 AM
May I suggest MobileMe? It might be worth the 60 day free trial, at least. Then for you it's AU$119 a year, but you probably can find it on amazon for about 1/2 (we can in the US, anyway). It's seamless syncing, and I have contacts, calendars, bookmarks all synced on 3 macs, an iphone, an ipod touch, and an ipad. It all works great.

I think they mean media syncing. OTA syncing like MobileMe/Gmail is so good and hopefully Apple will be able to extend OTA syncing to Video, Music and Photos.

My dream would be to have an iTunes server, with all of my (and the household's) media on it, serving everything to all of my devices (dependent on what each user wants/is allowed).

Omne666
Oct 15, 2010, 01:34 AM
After reading so many posts here, I WONT be getting one in a hurry.

OFFS......I couldn't resist!:rolleyes:

I was in a genius store and couldn't resist it. I had to have it!

Everything was so spakley and new! I was like my wife in a shoe shop. Walked out with a new trackpad, keyboard, and.........ANOTHER apple tv.

Well, at least I'll be able to throw some comparisons up between old and new models!

Tulipone
Oct 15, 2010, 01:40 AM

No reason to go for the new then - I understand that Netflix is not yet available here.

ChargerSteve
Oct 16, 2010, 08:43 PM
I just picked up my new AppleTV2. With all the threads of problems here and on other sites, I thought it was useful to report a positive experience. :)
I also have an older AppleTV (160GB). I hooked up the new one and moved the old to a different TV and had everything setup and working perfectly on both TVs in about 20 minutes. No issues at all. Both are connected via ethernet, so I avoided any possibility of wifi issues. But I have had no issues with home sharing or netflix passwords, Dolby Digital issues or anything like that. Couldn't have been easier to setup for me...

Positives of the new over the old
- I like that it is runs cooler and uses less electricity
- The Netflix interface ROCKS compared to my Panasonic BlueRay. Picture quality appears to be excellent on my internet connection.
- It plays some 720p home movies perfectly that caused my old ATV1 to skip and stutter in places.
- Minor thing, but I like the black, it matches the rest of my AV equipment better

Negatives of the new vs old
- I liked the old GUI arrangement of My Movies and My Music much better than having to scroll over to the Computers area in the new interface. I think I remember the old ATV having a similar menu arrangement originally, so hopefully this will be improved in future software updates.

From A Buick 8
Oct 21, 2010, 12:33 PM
So far I am very impressed with the new ATV. Unboxed it last night and in about 20 min I was streaming material from my iTunes library. I signed up for a Netflix account also and that seems to work great (I wish that the iTunes store had a monthly subscription like Netflix). I like the ui for the ATV and was very simple for the kids and even had a great response from my wife (she is not very gadget friendly).

Played around with the youtube access and that also worked well.

A couple of questions, i am thinking about getting an iPad and would like to use the remote app to control the ATV. Can the remote app also control other devices like the TV, DVD player or cable box.

pasipple
Oct 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
So far I am very impressed with the new ATV. Unboxed it last night and in about 20 min I was streaming material from my iTunes library. I signed up for a Netflix account also and that seems to work great (I wish that the iTunes store had a monthly subscription like Netflix). I like the ui for the ATV and was very simple for the kids and even had a great response from my wife (she is not very gadget friendly).

A couple of questions, i am thinking about getting an iPad and would like to use the remote app to control the ATV. Can the remote app also control other devices like the TV, DVD player or cable box.

Nope...the Remote App emulates the ATV remote. It is not a universal remote.

From A Buick 8
Oct 22, 2010, 12:58 PM

I am really loving the netflix access on the ATV, do you ever think apple/iTunes will offer a monthly plan like netflix.

Gaelic2
Oct 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
Will it play the videos in your iPhoto library too?
It plays everything in your iPhoto library and does it very well! I am very pleased by how well this works. It actually exceeded by expectations!:D

newagemac
Oct 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
Wait a minute. I don't think it play videos directly from your iPhoto library. Don't you have to import them to iTunes first?

Bozley0621
Oct 22, 2010, 03:49 PM
Wait a minute. I don't think it play videos directly from your iPhoto library. Don't you have to import them to iTunes first?

They stream from iPhoto.

liquidsuns
Oct 22, 2010, 10:22 PM
They stream from iPhoto.

None of my videos, whether taken with my iPhone or camcorder or edited on iMovie or iPhone iMovie or not edited at all, show up in my photo stream.

newagemac
Oct 22, 2010, 10:43 PM
Mine neither. Only the photos stream. The videos in iPhoto have to be imported into iTunes to stream. If there was some way to make videos stream directly from iPhoto I sure would like to hear it.

pukifloyd
Oct 22, 2010, 11:21 PM
I am seriously considering buying apple tv this month...but I have a question... it might sound stupid though :o
I understand how you can stream any content from your itunes to the atv...but I have some movies which I ripped from DVDs...how can I stream them too? Do I convert them to mp4 format first and then add them to the itunes library, and then stream from their?
any other solution? I have a lot of dvd ripped movies.

Thank you :)

pasipple
Oct 22, 2010, 11:36 PM
I am seriously considering buying apple tv this month...but I have a question... it might sound stupid though :o
I understand how you can stream any content from your itunes to the atv...but I have some movies which I ripped from DVDs...how can I stream them too? Do I convert them to mp4 format first and then add them to the itunes library, and then stream from their?

Yes...you can stream your ripped movies as long as they are in your iTunes. I have 800 movies ripped from DVDs, converted to mp4, and added to my iTunes Library...all streaming to my ATV2.

adztaylor
Oct 23, 2010, 02:57 AM
Mine just arrived this morning! Just need to nip out and get another HDMI lead though. Can't wait to get it set up :)

From A Buick 8
Oct 23, 2010, 11:25 AM

Like pasipple said you just need to add them to iTunes, i have used handbreak to encode about 140 of mine so far (using the AppleTV preset) and so far it has worked flawlessly. Just one exception the movie "the santacaluse" has caused HB to crash two times now. I think it might be my RIP so i am going to dig out the original disc and rip it again.

From A Buick 8
Oct 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
Mine just arrived this morning! Just need to nip out and get another HDMI lead though. Can't wait to get it set up :)

It is very cool, i love it and my wife likes it also, her first comment after me setting it up was "hey this is easy, i think i might use this" high praise indeed.

pukifloyd
Oct 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
Yes...you can stream your ripped movies as long as they are in your iTunes. I have 800 movies ripped from DVDs, converted to mp4, and added to my iTunes Library...all streaming to my ATV2.

Like pasipple said you just need to add them to iTunes, i have used handbreak to encode about 140 of mine so far (using the AppleTV preset) and so far it has worked flawlessly. Just one exception the movie "the santacaluse" has caused HB to crash two times now. I think it might be my RIP so i am going to dig out the original disc and rip it again.

Thanks for your replies :)
Another stupid question,
how can anyone watch DVDs with it? Is their some way to stream DVD content from the computer too?
thanks again!:o

pasipple
Oct 23, 2010, 01:38 PM
Another stupid question,
how can anyone watch DVDs with it? Is their some way to stream DVD content from the computer too?

You can not stream from the DVD player.

From A Buick 8
Oct 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
Another stupid question,

You have to rip your DVD's to your HDD then encode and add to iTunes.

I have a bout 600 DVD's and TV shows and i am about 1/3 third of the way through getting them into iTunes for oh so easy access with the ATV (it is awsome)

newagemac
Nov 12, 2010, 03:32 PM
It is very cool, i love it and my wife likes it also, her first comment after me setting it up was "hey this is easy, i think i might use this" high praise indeed.

Same here. This is the first media center device my wife actually enjoys using and uses regularly.

rouxeny
Nov 15, 2010, 12:37 AM
I've had my ATV for 48 hours and so far really enjoy it.

I've noticed 2 things that I wish were different.
1. Would be nice if there was a way to allow input of Live TV also, I don't like having to change inputs.
2. GUI seems a bit kludgy, maybe the usual Apple minimalism in terms of interface and remote has been carried a bit too far for my tastes. Trying to use the remote to type is way too painful, thank goodness for the iphone remote.

aussieinjapan
Nov 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ive had my Apple TV for a day and I'm loving it ! Im in Japan so I had to change my region to australia to get access to the movies there (I have a lot of itunes cards that were given to me for bday and chrissy).

-The speed is fast (in both aus and Jpn stores)
- Wish that Hd quality vids came up first in a youtube search.
- If it had a browser or gmail app then I'd probably rarely turn on my computer.

One note, when I first turned it on and set my region to Jpn. It came up with netfix. But we don't have it here and cant get access to it from Jpn.

Anyone else in Jpn, have this ?:apple:

gunthermic
Nov 16, 2010, 05:49 PM

About 35 minutes

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
Finally got around to setting my ATV2 up tonight.... And loving it! So much so I am saving up for a second one for the bedroom! Goodbye cable TV for me. Just wish Hulu will come on board in the ATV2, then life would be perfect.

Loving the integration of the iPad Apple Remote app. My Handbrake DVDs look great. Just having some small issues with Netflix streaming on my first night out with ATV2.

RoarinRow
Nov 17, 2010, 12:32 PM
Just got mine last night. I've been eyeing it for some time now. It was sorta an impulse buy after I got to play with it at the Apple store. It had more functionality than I thought it had. Lovin it so far!

Like someone else said earlier, too bad it doesn't have a Back button. Otherwise, it's a very cool little unit.

Tulipone
Nov 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
I am still trying to persuade myself that I want a new one to replace the older white version. So far a massive fail.

pasipple
Nov 17, 2010, 12:59 PM
Just got mine last night. I've been eyeing it for some time now. It was sorta an impulse buy after I got to play with it at the Apple store. It had more functionality than I thought it had. Lovin it so far!

Like someone else said earlier, too bad it doesn't have a Back button. Otherwise, it's a very cool little unit.

It has a Back button. After using the Play/Pause button you can hit the Left button.

Hitting the Menu button will back you up in the menu system.

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 18, 2010, 10:42 PM
After researching things, decided to upgrade my Internet speed with Comcast. Did not know that my condo fee only gave 1.5Mbps service - thought it was 3 or 4Mbps...

Upgraded to their 6Mbps service for $35 a month. So far speed tests this evening gave me a low of 9Mbps to a high of 15Mbps! Not an issue so far this evening in watching Dexter or a movie tonight with the new speed on Netflix.

For me ATV2 rocks! So much so I added a second one for my bedroom TV set tonight! Between my DVD collection, CD's on iTunes, and Netflix instant view - little reason for upper end cable TV for me in the end...

ATV2 is allowing me to enjoy my iTunes collection more, as I hang out around the house - seeing my iPhoto collection play as screensaver. Looking forward to new features that Apple adds to the ATV2 since it is IOS based.

Like the new life that the Apple Remote is giving to my iTunes collection of stuff from my iPad. Too bad that the Apple stores don't have a home theater setup that shows the real power of what ATV2 can do...

In the end I am glad that I waited for ATV2 to jump on the ATV bandwagon... Think this more than a hobby right now....

From A Buick 8
Nov 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
Have you checked out any of the podcast. My wife is very much into arts/crafts and taking photo's and she has been very happy with the instructional type of podcast she has found. So far the new ATV is a very big success for us.

We have been able to cut out cable.

We have OTA Ant plus EyeTV Hybrid to record and dump programs to iTunes.

I am in the process of ripping and encoding all of my DVD's to iTunes

And we all have found lot's of stuff on Netflix to watch.

dXTC
Nov 20, 2010, 07:31 PM
We haven't been able to stop our satellite service just yet, but my family is using the :apple:tv more and more, both with NetFlix (which rocks on :apple:tv) and my iTunes Library. My young daughter is already a pro with the remote; she's rewinding her favorite scenes and skipping chapters at will, and likes the fact that :apple:tv remembers where it left off, so when it's bedtime she can safely finish watching a movie the next day.

As for myself, NetFlix has allowed me to rediscover some good material too, including Ghost In The Shell, Blade Runner, select episodes of Monty Python, and some Bollywood movies I've heard songs from but haven't seen (and they have English subtitles too). If it weren't for True Blood (for my wife) and The Walking Dead (for me), I'd get a digital OTA antenna and call it a day.

Only one thing would make it better IMHO, and it's likely to be fixed in the next OS version. I utilize playcounts quite a bit, and in its current state :apple:tv does not update playcounts on music. I know that AirPlay would work around that, but I'd much rather not have to go to my iMac in the basement to have it push a playlist to the :apple:tv upstairs.

In most cases, the Menu button allows going up one menu level, or going back to the previous screen, or in the case of YouTube usage and selection of one of the "related videos", going back to the previous YouTube clip. Not quite a full-function Back button, but close.

In addition to pasipple's advice, clicking the Down arrow key during movie playback will bring up a Chapter scroll bar; you can advance chapter-by-chapter in either direction with that. If the movie has no chapters, :apple:tv adds a couple for you, at approximately 1/3 and 2/3 of the total duration, from my experience so far.

newagemac
Nov 20, 2010, 08:06 PM
...If it weren't for True Blood (for my wife) and The Walking Dead (for me), I'd get a digital OTA antenna and call it a day....

You can get a current season pass of The Walking Dead for 9.99 in SD and 15.99 in HD on iTunes. I've been considering it myself as I heard it was a good show. I just checked out True Blood and Seasons 1 and 2 are available but it doesn't look like it's the current season.

dXTC
Nov 20, 2010, 09:09 PM
You can get a current season pass of The Walking Dead for 9.99 in SD and 15.99 in HD on iTunes. I've been considering it myself as I heard it was a good show. I just checked out True Blood and Seasons 1 and 2 are available but it doesn't look like it's the current season.

I had been considering this, but as this season of The Walking Dead is only six episodes, three of which I've already seen, I'm not sure it's worth it for the rest of the season. We'll see...

boogei
Nov 20, 2010, 10:23 PM
From wherever you are,pressing and keeping your finger on the menu button takes you back to the main menu also.