PDA

View Full Version : When will the AppleTV 2 get a software update??

wrkngclasshero
Oct 7, 2010, 10:11 AM
Got the :apple:TV 2 and I am loving it but there are a few glitches that I have come across (guessing not picked up in beta testing) that I expect will be addressed in the first software update.

1. Grouping by Show: Specifically grouping movies in a series under a single title in the list of movies and grouping multiple seasons under a single show listing, like how :apple:TV1 handled shows.

2. Showing names of subtitle or alternate audio tracks: I like to encode w/ director commentary tracks and I will rename the audio tracks accordingly. The iPad and the :apple:TV1 would both show the names of the audio tracks to differentiate between. :Apple:TV2 just shows the language the track is. (i.e. iPad displays - English (Director Comm) :apple:TV2 displays - English). It is the same with subtitles, no differetion between a closed caption and a forced subtitle track.

3. Subtitles do not display. When watching a movie w/ subtitles on the :apple:TV2 will not always display the subtitles. See more on this error here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024271&highlight=)

All in all I love the :apple:TV2, just kinda hoping these minor errors get sorted out. Love to hear your speculation on when this first software update will be coming.

PurdueGuy
Oct 7, 2010, 11:33 AM
Got the :apple:TV 2 and I am loving it but there are a few glitches that I have come across (guessing not picked up in beta testing) that I expect will be addressed in the first software update.

1. Grouping by Show: Specifically grouping movies in a series under a single title in the list of movies and grouping multiple seasons under a single show listing, like how :apple:TV1 handled shows.

My :apple:TV2 does this for TV shows. I see

Roswell
Season 1
Episodes
Season 2
Episodes
Season 3
Episodes

wrkngclasshero
Oct 7, 2010, 12:07 PM
Wow

When I scroll through my TV show I see

How I Met Your Mother
season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

I have to select the season to see the shows in that season.

stoplis
Oct 8, 2010, 06:39 AM
Wow

When I scroll through my TV show I see

How I Met Your Mother
season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

I have to select the season to see the shows in that season.

Mine shows it as:

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

How I Met Your Mother
Season 1

How I Met Your Mother
Season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

It's really annoying. I wish it was just:

How I Met Your Mother

Then went to:

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Etc.

steviem
Oct 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
Apple said that all iOS devices will be updated to iOS4.2 in November.

Now we know that the Apple TV is an iOS device, I reckon we'll see an update for it then.

Microsaft
Oct 8, 2010, 06:58 AM
Mine shows it as:

How I Met Your Mother
Season 2

How I Met Your Mother
Season 1

How I Met Your Mother
Season 4

How I Met Your Mother
Season 3

It's really annoying. I will it was just:

Check this out:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024438

stoplis
Oct 8, 2010, 12:30 PM
Check this out:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024438

Didn't work for me, it's still an unordered mess. An update is defiantly needed.

wrkngclasshero
Oct 8, 2010, 02:36 PM
Apple said that all iOS devices will be updated to iOS4.2 in November.

Now we know that the Apple TV is an iOS device, I reckon we'll see an update for it then.

Wow...

All of a sudden this seems like a total waste of a thread (and i feel pretty dumb). I completely forgot about the promised 4.2 update.

Thanks!!

cavemonkey50
Oct 8, 2010, 02:37 PM
I've also noticed podcasts on my Mac don't get marked as watched after viewing them on my Apple TV. I think that's related to the same "problem" as Apple TV being able to watch videos rented on a computer unlimitedly.

Given the severity of the rental thing from a licensing point of view, I would think we're going to see an iTunes / Apple TV update within a week. While it may not fix everything known right now, an update is certainly imminent.