Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm impressed with many facets of the new ATV, but I continue to be surprised at how basic the Home Sharing streaming interface is compared to, say, a Windows Media Center Extender like my Xbox 360.

Apple does not seem to have put much thought into utilizing the dimensions of a widescreen monitor nor does the Apple TV allow much customization of the view--that I can find, anyway.

For instance, I had my photos sorted into folders by year (2010, 2009, etc.) and then subfolders for each import/event (Christmas, vacation, etc.). So just two levels--but the ATV will not recognize a two-tiered folder structure like this.

So I dumped all of my subfolders into one folder. Now, these folders do appear on the ATV, but in one long, alphabetized list. Is there any way to resort this list? By date, perhaps, so that the most recent pictures are at the top?

Also, is there any way to view albums in the music section by album artist?

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
It looks like you're running a PC. I stream my photos from a Mac and have my :apple:TV stream from the iPhoto application. It seems like iPhoto is the natural partner for the :apple:TV's photo stream. This doesn't help you out much since you have a PC. I'm sure, in due time, they'll be some third-party photo organizer for Windows that will tie-in to the :apple:TV quite nicely.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I am on a PC, and guessed that I was probably missing out on some functionality by not using iPhoto to organize my photos...but there ought to at least be a simple way to sort by date...right?!

The AppleTV is also pretty slow to access the streamed photo library. I have a fast Airport Extreme N network and have no problem stream HD, etc. ... the ATV is just slow to pull up the photo library. Anyone else seen this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.