PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Cocoa Design Patterns book?

chrono1081
Oct 7, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hi guys,

I've been eyeing the Cocoa Design Patterns book here:

http://http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Design-Patterns-ebook/dp/B002RAPB46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1286480723&sr=1-1

But it has no reviews. Has anyone read it? If so what is your opinion on it?

xStep
Oct 7, 2010, 04:13 PM
First, your link is busted.

For the hard copy book reviews see this link (http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Design-Patterns-Erik-Buck/dp/0321535022/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286485938&sr=1-2-catcorr).

chrono1081
Oct 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
Oops sorry about that :o I was browsing for the book on my iPad so I guess maybe those were ratings for the kindle/kindle app version.

Thank you for the real link :D

Sander
Oct 8, 2010, 09:14 AM
I have it, and I like it. As someone who didn't "grow up" on the Mac, I get nice insights from it in how things are done by long-time Mac developers. My opinion is that if there's more than one way to solve a particular problem which are (approximately) equally "good", it's best to pick the one which resonates most with the idiom of the platform you're working on.

chrono1081
Oct 9, 2010, 12:57 AM
Thank you for the reply :) I ordered the book. I plan on starting it as soon as I finish up the Cocoa book I am working on currently.

mfram
Nov 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
I acquired this book last week and have been reading through it. I've read through the first couple chapters and skimmed the rest enough to know that this is the book I've been looking for to fill in the gaps in my knowledge about how to "think" about designing Cocoa apps.

My background is that I'm a professional software engineer (not in the Mac programming arena) and I write apps for the Mac as personal projects. I have lots of experience with C and a little with C++. I picked up basic Objective-C/Cocoa experience from a friend who programmed on NeXTStep back in the day. He was able to explain the basics to get me going. Then I picked up more practice writing a couple Mac apps while reading the Apple docs and experimenting until things worked.

The Design Patterns book is ideal for me because it presents Cocoa from the Design Level. I didn't need to be told how to program or what the syntax of Objective-C is. I needed clues about how to design a Mac app. The book discusses how to think about the MVC design paradigm, how to understand the flow of the app, how delegates work with their advantages and disadvantages, etc. You even get a little insight about the history behind why certain design patterns are used now and how the Cocoa Framework evolved over time from its NeXTStep roots.

I highly recommend this book after getting some exposure to Objective-C, Cocoa, and writing Mac apps. It will help you to be a more effective programmer and open your mind to design ideas that can be used on non-Mac apps as well. Cocoa Design Patterns fills a niche that is often overlooked by technical book authors: teach new tricks to experienced software developers.

To use Cocoa Design Patterns effectively, it shouldn't be your first or only book about writing Mac apps. It should probably be your second. Other books can teach you the basics of Cocoa; this book will help tie it all together to help you create effective designs for Cocoa apps.

Thank you to the authors of this wonderful book!