Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dizzy130

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I'm considering a new :apple:tv. I'm not interested so much in renting from Apple as streaming from my Macbook. My only concern is, will this slow my Macbook down too much? Or will it be pretty much invisible? I'm thinking of either browsing the internet or maybe writing a paper in Word, not gaming or anything like that. It's a 3 year old Macbook with base specs, so it's getting up there in age.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I have an approximately 3 yr old iMac, and it streams to my new :apple:tv with no problem. You shouldn't have a problem either, so long as your browsing doesn't use a bunch of bandwidth, like video (and if you're watching video on your MacBook, then who's watching the :apple:tv?). Word processing is trivial in terms of processing power required, no probs there.

bbtrinet

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
The Apple TV doesn't use resources for a long period of time during streaming. My iMac is downstairs, and I have my iTunes on an external drive. I can tell when my daughter is upstairs starting to watch a new video - the external drive turns on and spins for about 3 minutes.

Her entire video (average of approx. 90 minutes) is downloaded wirelessly in less than 3 minutes, and stored on the Apple TV, and then my iMac is not accessed again until my daughter requests a new video.

My iMac, from 2008, is not noticably slower at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.