PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Retail Store to Offer 'Genius Lounge' Mall Kiosk?

MacRumors
Oct 7, 2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/07/new-apple-retail-store-to-offer-genius-lounge-mall-kiosk/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/07/232432-apple_store_st_louis_galleria_plan.jpg

Schematic for Apple's new St. Louis Galleria retail store
ifoAppleStore reports (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2010/10/07/new-store-may-have-genius-lounge-in-front/) that a new Apple retail store currently under construction in the St. Louis Galleria may offer a unique feature: a mall kiosk in front of the store serving as a Wi-Fi lounge and check-in area for Genius Bar appointments. Apple will reportedly take advantage of a permanent kiosk being vacated by Starbucks directly in front of the new store's location to offer the feature, a first for the company.According to mall observers, Starbucks is soon moving its coffee sales operation to the second floor, outside the entrance to the Nordstrom store that opens in September 2011. Apple will then reportedly occupy the 592 square-feet permanent kiosk as a Genius Bar check-in space, Wi-Fi lounge and/or training space.The new Apple retail store, which will reportedly be the largest mall-based store in the company's chain, is replacing a much smaller mini-store currently in the mall which registers as one of Apple's best-performing locations.

The report notes that Microsoft has employed a similar "lounge" concept in front of its retail store in Mission Viejo, California.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/07/232432-apple_store_st_louis_galleria_construction.jpg

Workers laying floor tiles at Apple's new St. Louis Galleria store

Article Link: New Apple Retail Store to Offer 'Genius Lounge' Mall Kiosk? (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/07/new-apple-retail-store-to-offer-genius-lounge-mall-kiosk/)

SanibelMan
Oct 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
Wow, looks like this will be one of Apple's best retail stores. Makes me wish I still lived in St. Louis. And this, combined with the opening of the Nordstrom, means things are looking up for the Galleria as well.

DARKJ3DI
Oct 7, 2010, 10:34 PM
*sigh*

If only there were Apple stores in New Zealand... :(

SandynJosh
Oct 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
So, what does one DO in a genius lounge??

SandynJosh
Oct 7, 2010, 10:40 PM
WTF!! In the article's story photo, captioned, "Workers laying floor tiles at Apple's new St. Louis Galleria store," it appears they are laying concrete-colored tiles over concrete. !!??!!

DanMacApple
Oct 7, 2010, 10:46 PM
I thought the Galleria was having financial problems, but I guess not if Apple will be spending all that money to build a new store.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
The report notes that Microsoft has employed a similar "lounge" concept in front of its retail store in Mission Viejo, California.

Cupertino, start your photocopiers!

Oh, wait... this is a mac site. My bad! ;)

Tharian
Oct 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
Sigh. Makes me miss working there :(

Oh well.

-d

iLoveiMacs
Oct 7, 2010, 10:52 PM
I live in the Saint Louis area.. the galleria store is TINY! I always do my shopping at the West County location, but I might give this new concept a try!

....Micro$oft would....

Green™
Oct 7, 2010, 10:56 PM
**** this. What a horrible idea this is. As if there weren't enough 14 year old girls wasting space in the store to begin with. You'll see, the Starbucks is there on the blue prints by no mistake. Watch hordes of people lounge around that have no intention of buying macs.

Wurm5150
Oct 7, 2010, 10:59 PM
So I guess Apple copied Microsoft Store's lounge thing?:D

biggsjm
Oct 7, 2010, 11:02 PM
I live in St. Louis and I agree with the post above. Tiny store currently that is outclassed in every way by the West County store. Bought my 2007 Mac Book Pro there though. That place is always packed.

Excited to see this new store when it opens.

feflower
Starbucks replaced by Apple...
The story of recent American consumer trends....

appleguy123
I live in this area. The Galleria store is so tiny and crowded. I normally do all my shopping at West County, but I would like to look at this store when it is finished.

editonmac
Oct 7, 2010, 11:10 PM
I like Apple's idea. I live right next to the Mission Viejo mall with that Microsoft store, and I don't think they figured out what to do with the space. The "outside the store kiosk" is a failed MS concept that I believe only Apple can improve upon. Instead of making use of the space, MS decided to install 2 HDTVs, a few couches, and 2 Kinect demos (which actually looks really cool). If Apple were to re-route the traffic outside the store for the checkins and loungers, they might be able to save a lot of room in the store, that could be used for more displays. At my local Apple Store, the Genius bar check in literally takes up 20% of the entire store (and it's a large store), so this is a good idea.

ziggyonice
Oct 7, 2010, 11:17 PM
I will travel to see this store.

aristobrat
Oct 7, 2010, 11:21 PM
WTF!! In the article's story photo, captioned, "Workers laying floor tiles at Apple's new St. Louis Galleria store," it appears they are laying concrete-colored tiles over concrete. !!??!!
Oh god, no. lol Apple goes through extreme lengths to get those Italian stone floor tiles. They're even rumored to have purchased the quarry they come from.

If you have a minute:
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2009/10/28/impressive-stone-floors-start-as-a-mountain/

**** this. What a horrible idea this is. As if there weren't enough 14 year old girls wasting space in the store to begin with. You'll see, the Starbucks is there on the blue prints by no mistake. Watch hordes of people lounge around that have no intention of buying macs.
Keeping the people coming in for services like the Genius Bar separated from the chaos of the rest of the store is an excellent idea.

So instead of having to walk all of the way through a store crowded with 14-year old girls on Facebook to check in for an appointment, it doesn't sound like these people will even have to enter the store, until it's time for their appointment.

Totally speaks to the issue you're talking about...

Thex1138
Oct 7, 2010, 11:31 PM
MS must be crying at the Apple store opening rates....
:D

Eddyisgreat
Oct 7, 2010, 11:36 PM
1 Step closer to The "Friend Bar (http://www.theonion.com/video/new-apple-friend-bar-gives-customers-someone-to-ta,17693/)"!

spillproof
Oct 7, 2010, 11:40 PM
They should keep the $tarbucks there and add an Urban Outfitters next door.

Would it be geeky to travel the country or world to visit every Apple store? I think I would like to. :o

pvmacguy
Oct 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
Apple needs to implement the person checking people in at the door to the lounge are only permited in if they are waiting for genius services.
Permited entry
1. Have an appointment
2. Stand-by for genius bar
3. In store new purchase upgrade ie: ram

Otherwise no entry for the people who are going to loiter aka 14 year old girls.

Thex1138
Oct 7, 2010, 11:55 PM
They should keep the $tarbucks there and add an Urban Outfitters next door.

Would it be geeky to travel the country or world to visit every Apple store? I think I would like to. :o

... they can buy the coffee machine... then it would truely be a Friendly Genius Bar.

SandynJosh
Oct 8, 2010, 12:03 AM
... they can buy the coffee machine... then it would truely be a Friendly Genius Bar.

Then everyone would be as twitchy as the 14 year old girls... :D

MorphingDragon
Oct 8, 2010, 12:06 AM
*sigh*

If only there were Apple stores in New Zealand... :(

Blame Renaissance for that. Apple australia are still trying to buy back all the licenses etc.

Thex1138
Oct 8, 2010, 01:19 AM
Then everyone would be as twitchy as the 14 year old girls... :D

LOL yesss... then our iPad would have to have jitter controls based upon the number of coffee transactions held in the account... :D

franswa za
Oct 8, 2010, 01:48 AM
Starbucks replaced by Apple...
The story of recent American consumer trends....

maybe now decent coffee will be served!

emdotdee
Oct 8, 2010, 01:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Tiles have an "ooooh shiny!" quality to them.

Dyspareunia
Oct 8, 2010, 02:31 AM

I don't know about that "lounge" thing, last time I visited in May, I don't recall seeing anything that resembled a lounge at all inside the store and outside there were over-glorified mall benches. I don't consider a few fancy wooden benches and planters with plants a "lounge", unless they changed it since then. The MS store is a sad replica of the Apple store and I wandered inside and chuckled when I overheard some old-middle-aged guy spouting to the ever-nodding Microsoft Guru, the following: "I don't know what Bill Gates is thinking..they should have kept Windows XP, it's better than Vista and 7.."

andy721
Oct 8, 2010, 05:27 AM
Who's the genius who designed this cadd design? This is pure garbage. The lounge is the only thing good about it other then that, it's pure garbage.

Billy Boo Bob
Oct 8, 2010, 05:32 AM
I live in BFK... Err... West Kentucky. Usually we go to Nashville as it's a bit closer, but have been to Galleria a few times when a trip to SL was needed/wanted for other things, too. Agreed about how tiny the current store is. Was a bad spot to start in without being able to expand.

At first I thought they were talking about putting this outside the current store... I was wondering how they would do that, since it's already a bit crowded in that walkway. :)

So is this new spot the coffee kiosk right at the bottom of the nearby stairs by the food court?

KindredMAC
Oct 8, 2010, 06:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would like to know if Apple is planning to replace our mini store with a full sized version in Syracuse. It gets too crowded in there every weekend and the staff has taken to putting ropes up at the entrance for crowd control.

oscarmacca
Oct 8, 2010, 06:07 AM
Give us an :apple: Store in Edinburgh.

justflie
Oct 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
Makes sense to me. Outside my apple store in natick, ma the trainers routinely make use of some tables and chairs set directly across from the store. This is just a more permanent and planned-out version of that.

davidgrimm
Oct 8, 2010, 08:11 AM
Well the difference is the MS customers need a place to cool off after bringing their laptop to the whatever-they-call-geniuses only to be told "its a hardware issue, you need to get the hardware company to write a driver for that."

Apple customers don't hear that.

The Apple stores are always so crowded, I wonder why they need a lounge?

Congrats you St. Louisians - let us know how it is when it opens.

tobefirst
Oct 8, 2010, 08:59 AM
Part of the reason for having the kiosk in addition to the store might be to better facilitate their One-on-One and other personal education sessions. As it is now, the Apple employees and customers occupy many of the mall-owned sofas and chairs located near the store. Perhaps Apple is, in some way, incorporating this space (though in a different part of the mall since the whole store is moving).

ablack774
Oct 8, 2010, 10:27 AM
Give us an :apple: Store in Edinburgh.

YES! We totally need one. Having to travel to Glasgow is a nightmare.

Trub
Oct 8, 2010, 10:54 AM
It must be the new Friend Bar.

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-apple-friend-bar-gives-customers-someone-to-ta,17693/

triceretops
Oct 8, 2010, 12:15 PM

Not tiles, stone from Apples private quarry in Italy.
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2009/10/28/impressive-stone-floors-start-as-a-mountain/

triceretops
Oct 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
This could be a great idea. How often have you stood around a genius bar and seen somebody obviously waiting for their turn at the bar and solved their problem for them before they ever got to the bar. I've done it several times (mostly iPod customers - have you tried resetting it?). Having a lounge area where it is possible for customers to talk to each other would facilitate this. Good way to lower demand at the genius bar.

Jazwire
Oct 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
Awesome, I live in St Louis.
We have 2 Apple Stores, I normally go to the other location. But might have to change that. :)

I was really stunned this was taking place in St Louis, heck I feel lucky we even have an Apple store.

Southpaw32
Oct 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
I use to work at their current "mini" location, and they are LONG overdue for a new store. It's nice that they are going to go beyond "just another store."
The managers and employees at the mini store have had to be amazingly flexible to provide the quality of service they have, since they probably outgrew that store 3 years ago.

The new store location is a fantastic spot in that mall, and this new concept I think will work really well. I'll be anxious to hear from the old co-workers that are still there what their take is on it.

Sylin
Oct 8, 2010, 06:13 PM
Meh. Not as unique as you think. The Green Hills Mall store in Nashville has two benches just outside the entrance. An Apple employee checks customers in with an iPad and everyone "lounges" on the benches until their # is called.

Not surprisingly, there is also a Starbucks nearby. Cupertino and Seattle are in cahoots!

~KenRob~
Oct 9, 2010, 07:43 AM
YES! We totally need one. Having to travel to Glasgow is a nightmare.

Hopefully it will happen soon!

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Apple-plans-to-open-first.6565545.jp

reservoirdog
Oct 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
I thought the Galleria was having financial problems, but I guess not if Apple will be spending all that money to build a new store.

I worked for a number of mall developers over the years. I guarantee you that Apple isn't spending a dime on the build out of this store. General Growth is paying for everything.

I actually used to manage the West County Mall. At the time, the Apple store did more in sales than Lord and Taylor (now closed). We're talking several thousand dollars per square foot in sales.

reservoirdog
Oct 10, 2010, 04:54 PM
Not tiles, stone from Apples private quarry in Italy.

That's actually not that uncommon. Many retailers own their own quarry (or mountain) so that all of their stores are able to have the exact same tile.

reservoirdog
Oct 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
I live in BFK... Err... West Kentucky. Usually we go to Nashville as it's a bit closer, but have been to Galleria a few times when a trip to SL was needed/wanted for other things, too. Agreed about how tiny the current store is. Was a bad spot to start in without being able to expand.

At first I thought they were talking about putting this outside the current store... I was wondering how they would do that, since it's already a bit crowded in that walkway. :)

So is this new spot the coffee kiosk right at the bottom of the nearby stairs by the food court?

No. Upper level, next to the new Nordstrom. If you're standing at the entrance of the existing Apple store, looking out, it's to the left and on the opposite side of the concourse. It's at center court and I'd venture a guess that the Galleria will have some more subdued holiday decor in this part of the mall this year, ie a smaller tree and no hanging crap in front of this store.

At the developer I was working for last year Apple made holiday decor a part of their new lease. No decorations or trees are allowed within a defined area surrounding the store on either level, so as not to block visibility. (I guarantee you the developer will ignore this clause, and I plan to take pictures and let Apple know that the developer is in default.)

docorlando
Oct 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm really happy to see this; the West County location was farther away, but generally an easier shopping experience. The new Galleria location is right by the south parking garage entrance on the second level -- which is the one I usually use when I'm going to the current Apple store there. My experiences at both locations have always been outstanding; we have great crews working there. But -- especially since iPad launched -- the crowds can be outrageous.

I'm sure the owner of the Starbucks cart right out front is thrilled. They've never been lacking for customers anyway, but this is a captive audience. I always thought the Apple store at West County should've taken the spot of the B Dalton's across from Cinnabon (and another Starbucks cart) and hit the caffeine-sugar-Mac trifecta.

RaceTripper
Oct 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
I live in U. City, about 5 mins. away and will be glad to see the old human sardine can replaced by something bigger and better. The West County store is too far out of my way. I do hope the Genius quality remains first rate as it has been at the store.