Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
UK
Hi,

I have some questions about the AEBS in bridge mode. Here is my current situation

I rent a room off a family which has a secured wireless network. Connected to that are lots of computers and phones etc.
I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone 4 and AppleTV. The AppleTV is mainly used for streaming from my iMac or MacBook Pro.

I want the following setup if possible.

Use the AEBS as a bridge to the family wireless, then have the AEBS have my own wireless network called "JLB" which all my apple products are
connected to using N. So basically, the AEBS will be used to create my own network, connecting to the internet through the family wireless.

My question is, can the AEBS in bridge mode, connect to the internet through one wireless connection and create a second wireless network sharing the internet from the family?

If this is possible, then I would also use the AEBS to share my external 1TB HD and printer. Aswell as allowing the AppleTV to use the awake on net access feature!

Thanks the help

Moderator: Please move to the "Mac Peripherals" forum. Incorrectly posted here

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If your internet is only G I don't know if you can get N out of that. My guess is probably not as it seems illogical.
However, the AEBS can be set to bridge mode, you can call it whatever you want and I believe your Mac will connect to it and show whatever that name is and then yes, I am fairly certain you can use your printer off that as well.

The bridge though is not creating a "second wireless" connection, it is bridging the one you have, hence the bridge mode.

Users who are in places where companies like AT&T U-Verse are automatically wired into buildings (I know someone with this) use their AEBS in bridge mode just fine.

Tell that family to upgrade to N though so you too can have N. I think in that respect your wifi is only as strong as the base connection.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
UK
What you are proposing is kind of pointless. You cannot bridge an 802.11n wireless router to an 802.11g wireless network to get 802.11n speeds.

Ok, I have just checked and they have an "n" wireless network. I basically want a seperate network from them, but need to be able to bridge there wireless internet if that is possible

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
UK
If your internet is only G I don't know if you can get N out of that. My guess is probably not as it seems illogical.
However, the AEBS can be set to bridge mode, you can call it whatever you want and I believe your Mac will connect to it and show whatever that name is and then yes, I am fairly certain you can use your printer off that as well.

The bridge though is not creating a "second wireless" connection, it is bridging the one you have, hence the bridge mode.

Users who are in places where companies like AT&T U-Verse are automatically wired into buildings (I know someone with this) use their AEBS in bridge mode just fine.

Tell that family to upgrade to N though so you too can have N. I think in that respect your wifi is only as strong as the base connection.

Ok Thanks for the advice

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ok, I have just checked and they have an "n" wireless network. I basically want a seperate network from them, but need to be able to bridge there wireless internet if that is possible

You cannot have a "separate" network. It's just not possible. Bridge mode is exactly as it sounds. It bridges a connection. If you want your own internet you'll have to have the cable company come and split the line. That's what I had to do when I rented a separate living space from a homeowner.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
What are you even trying to accomplish with this project? Why do you want a "separate" network? If it was even possible, you're just adding one more layer of routing between your devices and the internet which increases latency.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
UK
I found this article which is doing the same with a wired connection and I can just change it to a wireless internet connection

http://theappleblog.com/2010/03/03/how-to-setup-an-airport-extreme-in-bridge-mode/

The aim of the project is to be able to share my external hd, printer, do time machine backups, without having to have one of my machines on all the time to share the stuff

Also, can use wake on network access with my appletv

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I think i know what your trying to achieve here.

JLB network will be Wireless N so your Apple TV etc will be nice and fast streaming off YOUR iMac. and have a connection to their network as the internet connection.

I'm not sure you can achieve this with just 1 AEBS, You may need two, because when in bridge mode the whole network will slow down to the WIFI Network unless you hook everything up with Cat5.

If you got another AirportExpress youd basically have it in Client Mode, then NAT that IP to your internal 802.11N network

so say their network you have a ip of 192.168.0.234 that would then be NAT'd to a internal JLB range of 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.254

This would mean that youd loose any 'auto discover' services between your network and theirs.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
UK
I think i know what your trying to achieve here.

JLB network will be Wireless N so your Apple TV etc will be nice and fast streaming off YOUR iMac. and have a connection to their network as the internet connection.

I'm not sure you can achieve this with just 1 AEBS, You may need two, because when in bridge mode the whole network will slow down to the WIFI Network unless you hook everything up with Cat5.

If you got another AirportExpress youd basically have it in Client Mode, then NAT that IP to your internal 802.11N network

so say their network you have a ip of 192.168.0.234 that would then be NAT'd to a internal JLB range of 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.254

This would mean that youd loose any 'auto discover' services between your network and theirs.

Exactly what I am trying to do, so yes, if i hook it up via Cat5 that would work thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.