Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I tried searching for the such, but nothing seemed the same...

PC (laptop) for work with work software and files galore.
I dont want to start from scratch on Bootcamp, since I have to jump through hoops. Anyway...

Want to install an IDENTICAL image of my PC laptop onto partition on MBP via Bootcamp.

In other words, what do u recommend I use to create an Image of my xp with all my software, to install on my bootcamp on my mac, without buying a ton of stuff, and to have all of my software work.

I've read a few articles about WinClone, but I dont have Win on they Mac YET. So it seems reverse of what I want.

Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The only easy way to achieve the goal you want is to migrate to a VM (using tools provided by Parallels or VMWare). From there you could try V2P, but that is a lot trickier and doesn't always work.

NOTE: You have to retire the PC completely for this to work too.

B

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
Winclone might work. I've used an image for two years that way on several macs. But I am not sure if the winclone image came from a bootcamp partition originally, or another machine's hardrive. I seem to remember having to install bootcamp drivers onto the partition after first boot to get all the mac hardware to work right, so I suspect it did come from another box. Sounds like a fun weekend project!

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
If you take an XP image of a PC laptop and apply that image to a Mac it will not start up, you will just get a hardware failure blue screen. This is actually the case if you move XP to any hardware that is different from where it was installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.