PDA

View Full Version : Apple on the big screen


crossed-over
Aug 26, 2002, 01:04 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I have noticed that in almost every movie I see where someone is using a computer, it is almost always an Apple. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just biased?

Does anyone know how this is possible? I don't really know anything about how this works. Do the movie producers and directors make this call or is it a paid advertisement by Apple? Just curious.

Adam

edesignuk
Aug 26, 2002, 01:08 PM
Yup, it is pretty common to see Macs being used in TV and Film.
For example, all the comps in the recent TV hit "24" were all Macs, and all the comps in "Buffy", the list goes on an on...:D

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 01:12 PM
>Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just biased?

Nah. I just pay attention to whatever satisfies the eye. :p

Not only movies have people using Macs, but I have seen TV shows with Macs in them. True, this has been brought up before, but whenever it is brought up again there seem to be new surprises.

Right now, I can think of these movies w/Macs in them:
Bedazzled
Flubber (yes, the Genius used a Mac, a very old one at it)
Jurassic Park III (go back to the beginning, just before "Kirby Enterprises")

TV shows:
Drew Carey
Sex and the City
Simpsons

Wes
Aug 26, 2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra


TV shows:
Drew Carey
Sex and the City
Simpsons

The Simpsons? I've never noticed, where or in which episode?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 26, 2002, 01:35 PM
Sex in the City is a good one. A couple of weeks ago, Sarah Jessica Parker had a debut for her new book and they had a larger than lifesize poster made of here - she was carrying a TiPB - but it had been modded - the theme of the party was pink - right down to the flirtinis at at the bar - and the TiPB had a glowing Pink Apple instead of a white one. Pretty funny.

edesignuk
Aug 26, 2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W


The Simpsons? I've never noticed, where or in which episode?
There's one where Homer buys a computer, and you can see it's running a OS9 (or earlier), also the fat guy who owns the comic store uses a computer which you can also see running OS9 (or again, earlier!)

Paladin
Aug 26, 2002, 01:50 PM
And who can forget Seinfeld? He had many different Macs (I have a place in my heart for the Powerbook DuoDock). Also, I saw the movie "What Women Want" on Showtime the other night. Sure enough, Mel Gibson's character used a Powerbook G3 (a Pismo, I think). Finally, Ben Stiller's character in "The Royal Tenenbaums" uses an Apple IIe (my first computer) and his staff works on PowerMacs with beautiful LCD screens.

crossed-over
Aug 26, 2002, 02:15 PM
The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

You've Got Mail- Tom Hanks's laptop, (and maybe Meg Ryan's too) is an apple laptop.

Hackers- the new laptop that Dade gets sent to him from the Plague is an apple

Home Improvement- any time the scene is in the boys' room you can see an imac on a desk.

Chaszmyr
Aug 26, 2002, 02:15 PM
It makes sense really. Ever since the powerbook g3 every mac has been better looking than every PC :-P

Wes
Aug 26, 2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by crossed-over


Home Improvement- any time the scene is in the boys' room you can see an imac on a desk.

Also Tim Allen has an old powerbook of some sort.

boom-boom
Aug 26, 2002, 02:27 PM
In Inderpendence Day it even saves the world!! But what is the common denominator in the other programs? They don't actualy use the power of the computer it is pure eye candy!! So if the Mac is going to just be a style accessory, why don't they have them in the fashion boutiques like SONY did!!

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 26, 2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by crossed-over
Does anyone know how this is possible? I don't really know anything about how this works. Do the movie producers and directors make this call or is it a paid advertisement by Apple? Just curious.

Adam

Most of the movie industry uses Macs. Editors use it for Final Cut Pro, writers use Final Draft, I'm not sure about set designers but I've also seen a lot of actors owning them, too. I think that since Hollywood uses them normally, they would just use them in their movies also. I'm pretty sure Apple pays them sometimes also.

kevin49093
Aug 26, 2002, 03:07 PM
OK... there is this one scene in A.I. where the camera pans across one of the labs where the child robots are being created. The whole room is full of very futuristic 'stuff'. In the very front of the view, you can cleary see an iSub sitting on a pedistal (it might have been a shelf).
Pretty funny that they just took a speaker and had it so visable as a futuristic artifact!

Wes
Aug 26, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by kevin49093
OK... there is this one scene in A.I. where the camera pans across one of the labs where the child robots are being created. The whole room is full of very futuristic 'stuff'. In the very front of the view, you can cleary see an iSub sitting on a pedistal (it might have been a shelf).
Pretty funny that they just took a speaker and had it so visable as a futuristic artifact!

Most Peecee users would think it were straight out of Roswell. I'm considering getting one of those along with the soundsticks for myself after hearing the sound quality.

Wes
Aug 26, 2002, 03:17 PM
Speaking of which look at these speakers, from JBL a division of Harmon Kardon.
http://www.harman-multimedia.com/productgraphics/pl_creature_silver.jpg

Too bad they're not available in the uk.

soilchmst
Aug 26, 2002, 03:21 PM
In Mission Impossible, TC used a mac. The people at Boston Public use macs. Rene Russo in Showtime uses macs for production. I believe Mel used a mac in ransom.

Just as a note of clarification- to differentiate between Tom Hank's and Meg Ryan's personalities, Tom used a IBM in You Got Mail, and Meg had a powerbook. All in all, Apples look pretty nice in pictures and real life.
:cool:

solvalou
Aug 26, 2002, 03:24 PM
Don't forget Austin Powers! He shows Beyonce that silly clip of a monkey smelling its own butt on a TiBook!!!

primalman
Aug 26, 2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by verbose101
Yup, it is pretty common to see Macs being used in TV and Film.
For example, all the comps in the recent TV hit "24" were all Macs, and all the comps in "Buffy", the list goes on an on...:D

Actually, in "24," all of the good guys used Macs while the bad guys used Dells, many people noticed this consistincy about halfway through the season.

:)

BongHits
Aug 26, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W


The Simpsons? I've never noticed, where or in which episode?
when bart does the cartoons of his dad...dont know the name of it...but he gets hired by an internet upstart to put out this cartoon, and all the computers they work on are like...orange handled PM's lol (a mix of old imac color with PM towers) unfortunately their company goes bankrupt like all other internet startups...

BongHits
Aug 26, 2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Paladin
And who can forget Seinfeld? He had many different Macs (I have a place in my heart for the Powerbook DuoDock). Also, I saw the movie "What Women Want" on Showtime the other night. Sure enough, Mel Gibson's character used a Powerbook G3 (a Pismo, I think). Finally, Ben Stiller's character in "The Royal Tenenbaums" uses an Apple IIe (my first computer) and his staff works on PowerMacs with beautiful LCD screens.
doesn't seinfeld have an OLD apple??? like the apple 68k (is this the name?) (my first computer :D)

BongHits
Aug 26, 2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Sex in the City is a good one. A couple of weeks ago, Sarah Jessica Parker had a debut for her new book and they had a larger than lifesize poster made of here - she was carrying a TiPB - but it had been modded - the theme of the party was pink - right down to the flirtinis at at the bar - and the TiPB had a glowing Pink Apple instead of a white one. Pretty funny. ya i saw that i was like whoa...apple's going with a pink theme now O NO!...but doesn't she use ibook for the show? kinda stupid...show off the powerbook :D

BongHits
Aug 26, 2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W


The Simpsons? I've never noticed, where or in which episode?
when bart does the cartoons of his dad...dont know the name of it...but he gets hired by an internet upstart to put out this cartoon, and all the computers they work on are like...orange handled PM's lol (a mix of old imac color with PM towers) unfortunately their company goes bankrupt like all other internet startups...

Paladin
Aug 26, 2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BongHits

doesn't seinfeld have an OLD apple??? like the apple 68k (is this the name?) (my first computer :D)

He does in some of the earlier seasons, but his computer changes throughout the years. Seems like he may have had a Quadra 610 or LC as well.

ibookin'
Aug 26, 2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

There's one where Homer buys a computer, and you can see it's running a OS9 (or earlier), also the fat guy who owns the comic store uses a computer which you can also see running OS9 (or again, earlier!)

The computer itself also looks like a PowerMac G3 or G4.

DavPeanut
Aug 26, 2002, 04:18 PM
The reason that You see all these macs is that they use them for righting the scripts, then they use the same computers as props in the movies, and then they use the computers to edit the movies. Unless they only need to show the back of the monitor, they don't want to spend money on extra computers as props.

Clockstoppers used amout 10 different Macs

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 04:58 PM
>(ibookin'@mwny) The computer itself also looks like a PowerMac G3 or G4.

I just can't imagine a supercomputer without that old-fashioned mirror. :D :p

>(BongHits) when bart does the cartoons of his dad...dont know the name of it...but he gets hired by an internet upstart to put out this cartoon,...

Really? I don't remember this one. Was this an early 90s or 80s episode?


>(BongHits) when bart does the cartoons of his dad...dont know the name of it...but he gets hired by an internet upstart to put out this cartoon,...

Really? I don't remember this one. Was this an early 90s or 80s episode?
:D
:D

Eliot
Aug 26, 2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by BongHits
ya i saw that i was like whoa...apple's going with a pink theme now O NO!...but doesn't she use ibook for the show? kinda stupid...show off the powerbook :D


It was her publisher's TiBook, lent to her for the Photoshoot. Subliminal message time: writer has older PowerBook, publisher has newer more expensive accessories (and... the show is a wall-to-wall product-placement-fest;my friends in NY seem to regard the show with an almost religious awe :confused: )

Mr. Anderson
Aug 26, 2002, 06:03 PM
If you've ever walked around Soho you'd feel like you're in the show. It really is a huge product placement vehicle - and I'm glad Apples in there.

And just so you know, Aiden bought a blue iBook for Carrie when her Pismo died - but she ended up just getting it fixed and going back to the old one.

Amanda's office was loaded with macs and Apple LCD's one show as well.

D

galstaph
Aug 26, 2002, 07:00 PM
As I was flipping channels the other day, I came across Smallville and noticed that Lex Luther has a Ti Powerbook. It's cool how we all notice that the cool toys are macs :D