PDA

View Full Version : Any CS3 users still out there? Anybody waiting for CS6?

SatyMahajan
Oct 8, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm just curious if anyone is still content with CS3 and/or not totally sold on the features provided in CS5 and just waiting for CS6.

Matty-p
Oct 8, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm just curious if anyone is still content with CS3 and/or not totally sold on the features provided in CS5 and just waiting for CS6.
my school use cs3 (they brought it a week before cs4 release !!) theres no need for them to upgrade as it provides all features needed and more atm. but i use a cs5 trial and its a pain down converting to cs3 to use the file at school. i am waiting for cs6 as i will buy it as soon as it comes out im not sure if i should buy cs5 when my trial ends in 21 days beacause it wont be long till cs6 and in a few months time it'll be practially obselete ! :rolleyes:

hdsalinas
Oct 8, 2010, 03:44 PM
CS5 has really nice features but seems to drain my imacs resources

CW Jones
Oct 8, 2010, 03:47 PM
I will probably skip cs6 all together. I bought cs4 just under a month before cs5 was announced so I called Adobe and got cs5 at no charge, even free 2 day shipping. I will likely run cs5 for a couple more years, then up to whatever the most current reason.

IMO the only reason to upgrade is if your finding things you can't do with your current version. I actually liked running cs3

Zoreke
Oct 8, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hi, I use CS4 and I'm waiting for CS6 to upgrade, in the real world most printers still use CS3 and you have save documents back to an older version (this destroys radial gradients and transparency).

At work we always skip one version and get the even numbered ones... I wonder if they will ever make illustrator faster or 64 bits or any speed imporvements at all...

The reality if you know how to use the software you can do anything with any CS version...

Cheers
:)

666sheep
Oct 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
Me. CS3 user considering CS5 upgrade, but not for sure. I'm comfortable with CS3 features. Only what is tempting me to upgrade: compatibility (sometimes I got files from higher versions) and 64bit PS (memory usage).

UTclassof89
Oct 8, 2010, 06:32 PM
I use CS4 on a PPC G5; not upgrading to CS5 so I can tease another year or two out of a great computer (and as with most Adobe upgrades, there's only one or two neat features in each software--I can definitely do without)

btbrossard
Oct 8, 2010, 07:35 PM
I still use CS2 on my laptop. And (gasp!) I still use GoLive CS2.

CS5 for general use, though.

opeter
Oct 9, 2010, 03:41 AM
CS3 (Design Standard) user here. I will not upgrade, since I do have all functions I need for my everyday work. Since I am a freelancer it is not financial worth to invest into an upgrade for now. Most people who I work with, use CS3 or older versions and CorelDRAW. Only one of my partners had upgraded his Adobe CS1 to CS4 before a year and half ago.

I am also intensively testing Inkscape, Gimp and Scribus for some of my real works. These applications are quite capable already and every quarter they are gaining more functions and are really becomming more and more usable.

mac2x
Oct 10, 2010, 07:03 AM
Planning on buying Design Premium CS5. It will be more than sufficient for my needs for quite a while.

Consultant
Oct 10, 2010, 11:52 AM
Still using CS3 here

elppa
Oct 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
If you want the cheaper upgrade pricing for CS 5 you need at least CS 2.

If Adobe are being logical (!) then that would suggest to me if you have CS 3 then your last chance to upgrade for a “reasonable” fee will be when CS 6 is released.

Winni
Oct 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm still on CS3 (Photoshop Extended, Flash Pro) because I'm tired of paying horrendous upgrade fees. I'm also not using those apps for business purposes, so I'm not representative anyway.

You know what? I'm thinking about sitting all those commercial upgrade orgies out and move to Linux and other Open Source software one of these days. I use it at work a lot and it already does most of the things that I need very well.

covisio
Oct 11, 2010, 03:00 AM
I'm still using CS3 Web Premium alongside InDesign CS2 and occasionally GoLive CS2 for some legacy sites I manage.

The main reason I haven't bothered upgrading is I'm still on a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 (2005) on 10.5.8 which I'm eeking out to the bitter end.

I do like the look of some of the features of CS5, especially Illustrator and this pixel-grid thing - that's been needed for a while.

I will have to upgrade soon, trouble is it will be the double-whammy of hardware and software at the same time. I'm looking at £850-ish for the upgrade to CS5 then another £1500-ish depending on which Mac I go for.

Sammy Cat
Oct 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
When is CS6 coming out? Spring 2012? Heck, even fall 2011 seems like a long wait.

Mac_Max
Oct 12, 2010, 03:03 AM
I used version 7 until 10.5 killed it, then I used CS2 even though that didn't really want to work under 10.5/10.6 (had to install in 10.4 and upgrade to 10.5-10.6).... now I'm using CS5 because work purchased it for me. Besides the smart object functionality being missing, Photoshop 7 does everything I need. In fact, before moving to PS7, I mostly used Photoshop 3.0 under Mac OS 9 and earlier (and briefly a borrowed copy of 6.0 under Classic).

While I can't really be sure, I think the two features I use routinely that weren't in version 3, are saving a file to PNG and smart objects.

designs216
Oct 12, 2010, 05:30 AM
CS5 gets the job done. For CS6, I'm waiting to see if Adobe gets with the program and rewrites their software to be "core-aware". It is really frustrating that the current offering doesn't even efficiently utilize 4 cores.

lucidmedia
Oct 12, 2010, 06:29 AM
CS5 gets the job done. For CS6, I'm waiting to see if Adobe gets with the program and rewrites their software to be "core-aware". It is really frustrating that the current offering doesn't even efficiently utilize 4 cores.

I am sure Adobe will "get with the program" right after Apple finally re-writes its Pro software to do the same :rolleyes: It is going to be a long time until software natively supports 6 - 12 cores.

SatyMahajan
Oct 12, 2010, 07:14 AM

This is the reason why I haven't upgraded yet. While I can certainly afford CS5 Master, I am voting with my dollar for them to make more than just incremental improvements over 3 years.

supremedesigner
Oct 12, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm still on CS3, bought it right after they were announced. Not too fond with CS4 or CS5 b/c of their shoddy UI changes and bloatware. I think CS3 is the only latest app that isn't bloat and still in a good shape.

I am still waiting for the next pixelmator app to have layered styles and better text control. They're very close to be true Photoshop killer. Otherwise, it'd be cool to see if Apple created their own Photoshop killer too :)

Pixelmator + Coda = win-win situation :)

funter
Oct 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'm on CS3 and I'm happy with that - the price of these upgrades is outrageous. Will I definitely be able to upgrade to CS6 when it comes out?

SatyMahajan
Oct 13, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm on CS3 and I'm happy with that - the price of these upgrades is outrageous. Will I definitely be able to upgrade to CS6 when it comes out?

Nobody knows for sure. Currently, people who own CS2 are still eligible to upgrade to CS5. So the general thought is that they allow 3 versions back to upgrade.

I think you'll be safe.

neutrino23
Oct 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
I stopped upgrading at CS3. It works well enough for me. I'm finding that people are less and less critical of documents. My printer used to require InDesign files. Now he's happy with PDF. I may even start doing simple things in Pages. I rarely print more that 50 copies of anything or more than a 4 page layout.

angelneo
Oct 14, 2010, 11:28 PM
I am still on CS3, not interested in CS4 upgrade, but was considering CS5, mostly because I use flash quite frequently.

kevingaffney
Oct 15, 2010, 01:47 AM
I upgraded to cs5 from 4 a few weeks back. To be honest i hardly notice the changes. The day to day stuff, which cs3 had, is what I use 99 percent of the time. I mainly upgrade because I use a lot of files supplied to me by graphic designers so my upgrading is as much for their convenience.

NicoleRichie
Oct 15, 2010, 01:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I want CS6 when it is released, but will settle for 5 if there are no real differences.

Hermes Monster
Oct 17, 2010, 03:16 AM
I use CS3 at work and have just downloaded a trial version of PS CS5 at home, and can honestly say I don't like it much - I've been using GIMP for a while quite intensively along with inksape (not so much usage) and I'm struggling to justify spending the sort of money adobe ask for. Also tried a trial of pixelmator, but for some reason I'm finding it slightly difficult to use:(

arnop
Oct 17, 2010, 09:54 AM
Still using CS3 and has not intentions to upgrade to CS4 or CS5 (maybe CS6 !). Upgrades are too expensive for my taste...

macstudent
Oct 18, 2010, 12:26 PM
Some CS5 programs already take advantage of Mult-Core processors and are 64bit.
Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects
http://blogs.pcmag.com/miller/2010/04/how_adobe_cs5_takes_advantage.php

InDesign also supports multithreading for exporting to PDF and other formats.

rumorsdan
Oct 18, 2010, 05:45 PM
Still on CS4. We'll see what they offer for CS6. I'm more interested in productivity rather than just more "cool" effects that most people don't use.

citizenzen
Oct 18, 2010, 08:05 PM
Our office upgraded to CS5, but I choose to work in CS3. There is an elegance to the interface that I prefer. I've been doing this for twenty years now. I don't need so many bells and whistles.

elppa
Oct 18, 2010, 08:50 PM
I've used the CS5 trial and I agree there are bits of the CS 3 UI which feel nicer.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
Still rockin' on CS3 myself, I just don't see the need to upgrade, especially not for web design work.

Weepul
Oct 18, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm still on CS3, and probably won't upgrade until either Adobe returns to using native OS controls rather than their current glitchy Flash-based widgets and poor imitations of the system's UI, or when CS3 no longer functions on whatever hardware and Mac OS I want to use.

Sadly, the latter will probably come first. :mad:

dazzer21
Oct 19, 2010, 02:40 AM
Still on CS3. Works for me. Designer/Artworker.

chaosbunny
Oct 19, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'm sorry, but from my personal experience most people claiming "they don't need the new features" are just too lazy to learn them. Of course, this doesn't have to apply to anyone in this thread since I don't know your workflow.

I already saved hours thanks to InDesign CS5s different sized pages and background pdf saving. There is stuff like this that increases productivity and makes an upgrade worth it, and not new filter xy in Photoshop, which one would only use once or twice a year. Another example, transparent gradients is new in Illustrator CS5, that's something I wanted since Illustrator 10 and I use it very often.

I know a graphic designer who is still working with XPress 4! :eek:
he is also claiming he doesn't need anything more, and that the newer stuff doesn't have anything to offer. When I mention fundamental things like, um, multiple steps backwards, he says oh I don't need that. But afterwards he complains that he has so much work and always has to work until late in the evening. :rolleyes:

Again, it's not my intention to attack anyone, it's just my opinion that spending time and money in new software/features pays off in no time. Everyone has different workflows, and if I can save 15 minutes every day thanks to 2-3 new features, that's more than an hour a week - and more than 5 hours a month more spare time to relax. :)

citizenzen
Oct 19, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry, but from my personal experience most people claiming "they don't need the new features" are just too lazy to learn them. Of course, this doesn't have to apply to anyone in this thread since I don't know your workflow.

Like I said... I've been doing this for twenty years. Learning new features is not an issue. I would compare it to a woodworker. Do you think they'd build a finer piece if their chisel came with an auto-level-depth-meter? Sometimes the tool suffices. Then, it's up to the craftsman.

And you know what really saves time? Not making the 10 missteps before you take the first good one. No tool helps you avoid those... just a little good-old experience.

chaosbunny
Oct 19, 2010, 04:45 PM
Like I said... I've been doing this for twenty years. Learning new features is not an issue. I would compare it to a woodworker. Do you think they'd build a finer piece if their chisel came with an auto-level-depth-meter? Sometimes the tool suffices. Then, it's up to the craftsman.

And you know what really saves time? Not making the 10 missteps before you take the first good one. No tool helps you avoid those... just a little good-old experience.

No doubt skill and experience matter much more than tools. I never said tools are more important than these. I could make a fine layout with just a pencil if I had to - and sometimes I do. But this thread is not about experience or talent.

I may not have 20 years in the business, but I have 10.

Maybe what matters is if you are missing something with your current tools. I always wondered why there are no gradients to transarency in Illustrator, and why I couldn't have different sized pages in InDesign (or XPress - back in the day). At least Freehand had them. So when I saw that CS5 has these features I went for it, and now I happily use them.

I do a lot of different sized posters and packaging for example, having all that belong together in one single docoment is a huge plus. Master pages, styles, only 1 pdf to write instead of 10 to send to the client for approval (with 20 years in the industry you certainly know that you sometimes send these things to clients quite often :) )

But this may not matter to you, and again, that's perfectly fine. I don't know your workflow, but you also don't know mine.

Beam111
Jan 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
When is CS6 coming out? Spring 2012? Heck, even fall 2011 seems like a long wait.

I am in this ship too. Admitting CS5 is grande too. but don't hang us!

doug in albq
Jan 28, 2011, 11:55 AM
I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5 this week. I could not be happier.

CS5 is faster and works better than CS3 on any Intel Mac...not to mention all the changes between CS3 and CS5.

I had Web Premium for CS3 and switched over to Design Premium for CS5 because I wanted InDesign more than needing Flash Builder 4.

Design Premium comes with Dreamweaver and the new Flash Catalyst in addition to all the usual players (PS, AI, BR, ID, Acrobat pro).

Sure, Adobe CS costs $$$. It is by far the best and only game in town for what they do. Maybe if someone came out with a rival suite of cross platform applications things might be different—and do not say Pixelmator, that is kid-stuff and not even as good as the gimped Gimp.

(I think it is a bit trendy to dis on Adobe here at Macrumors)

dbales
Jan 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm still cruising along with CS3 and haven't really had that overwhelming of an urge to upgrade yet. Sure, it'd be nice, but my funds are pretty tight and so CS5 is more of a want than a need.

irishgrizzly
Jan 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
My advice is skip 5 if you're on 4 and wait for 6. 5 brings very little extra and is less stable even after months of patches.

sarge
Feb 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm sticking w/CS3 as well. I've upgraded twice and Adobe doesn't reward all their customers for being loyal unless you've purchased every single upgrade along the way. Since they penealize you for skipping a version I figure I might as well extend my purchase horizon uness there is some amazing speed improvements or killer new attribute.

tmagman
Feb 7, 2011, 07:17 PM
For upgrades I usually just wait until the version I have is about to be dropped from the least expensive upgrade eligibility (i.e i just upgraded from photoshop CS2, the oldest one that qualifies, to CS5 Extended). There's not enough changes from model to model for me to rationalize $200 every 16-18 months(ish). so I'll probably be waiting until CS8 for my next upgrade.

I still can't believe they somehow 'couldn't' or 'wouldn't' put the lighting effects in Photoshop CS5 64-bit extended for OS X. they're in every other build of CS5... except the 64-bit Extended for OS X... Ancient PC with CS1 to the rescue!

steveash
Feb 8, 2011, 05:56 AM
I'm still using CS3 Design Premium. I have wondered about a CS5 upgrade, it has some nice features but I can't see that it will pay back the cost of the upgrade. I must say it is a much closer call with CS5 than CS4 was.

Now CS6 seems to be looming I will hold out until a month after that is released when the bugs are ironed out. I can't afford any down time.