PDA

View Full Version : Internet question for you smart computer wizards...

leannespicer
Oct 8, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,
Here's my issue, I just bought an ipad, and I got the wifi only model because I don't really need a 3G ipad and an iphone 4. I work in a public high school that does have wifi, but no one will tell me how to get on it. They act like it some huge secret, but with all the blocks and restriction on our networks its not like I can access things that are inappropriate if I was using the wifi. Anyway, my question is this... is there anything I can buy that can turn the current wired connection into a wifi hotspot for my classroom. Is there a product that can plug into an ethernet outlet and turn the internet connection that is already there into wireless. I brought my airport express from home with me once, but it did not work.

Any advice would be nice. I love my ipad, and will love it even if I cannot get online at school, but I am not going to give up. :)

Thanks!
Leanne

bcaslis
Oct 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Your airport express should work fine with the iPad. What didn't work with it?

SteveKnobs
Oct 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
You could try another router, but if the airport express didn't work, there may be an issue with your wired connection. Are you sure you had it set-up correctly?

dave420
Oct 8, 2010, 03:33 PM
It is possible the school has some sort of security on their ethernet connection that prevents unapproved devices from accessing the network. If you bring a laptop and plug it in to the ethernet port does it work?

psiconoclast
Oct 8, 2010, 03:35 PM
You need a wireless access point/LAN extender.

They can be purchased new starting around $25 AFAIK (possibly less from deep discounters), and may need to be plugged into a "regular" computer for initial setup (SSID, that sort of thing).

Once it is set up, you just plug it in to the LAN port you want to share, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Play Ultimate
Oct 8, 2010, 03:37 PM
An airport express will work provided you know and can modify the necessary settings.
However, if you already have a Mac connected to the net, you could always turn on internet sharing and use your mac as a wireless hub. My wife and I have done that at times while on vacation, when the resort only has ethernet internet.

Paulywauly
Oct 8, 2010, 03:39 PM
Does your school not have any IT support staff you can ask? If you say its for work use what is the problem?

leannespicer
Oct 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
I probably did not have the airport express configured properly, and the school probably does have some security on the network. We do have tech people, but they do not seem to want to help me. I have offered the students a candy reward if they can figure out what I need to do, as many of them have said that other teachers have their laptops and ipads on the wifi. I may look into the wireless access point/LAN extender after I exhaust other avenues. I went with the wifi only model knowing that we have a wifi connection at home and at work, I never dreamed it would be this hard to get onto the network at on the job.

Please keep the ideas coming!

utdbear0812
Oct 8, 2010, 04:05 PM
you need to find out the SSID and WEP or WPA key of your school's WiFi network. They should provide that for you, and if they don't, push them until they do.

kuwisdelu
Oct 8, 2010, 04:07 PM
Would they have told you how to get on WiFi if you had a laptop? Or do they for some reason have WiFi they just don't want anyone using?

If it's the former, they might just not know what to do with an iPad. If they have instructions on how to get a laptop on WiFi, though, it's possible on the iPad, too, and they might just not know how to support it.

I'm guessing the IT guys are just clueless about iPads, similar to how some ISPs used to claim their internet won't work on Macs, because they don't know any better.

rowsdower
Oct 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have offered the students a candy reward if they can figure out what I need to do, as many of them have said that other teachers have their laptops and ipads on the wifi.

Ask one of the other teachers.

Paulywauly
Oct 8, 2010, 04:11 PM
Part of my job is dealing with IT in schools and each one has its unique setup and security features, without knowing the config of the network in your school there could be numerous things that would stop it so i wouldnt bother trying to use a workaround if your not experienced.
If its public wifi though i fail to see what their problem is? Presumably the IT staff are paid too help you guys out if you have any issues? You could complain to their boss?
I know theres some cost involved, but have you considered a 3G wifi router? in the UK a wifi iPad and one of those still come to less than buying a 3G iPad