PDA

View Full Version : New version of iCab is massive update

EssentialParado
Oct 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
Been waiting for an update to iCab for a while, and I just noticed it appear in the App Store. It's now got a pretty new icon, smooth new UI design, low memory features, search box suggestions, and Dropbox integration. Tons of new features altogether, almost like the 4.2 for iCab! :p

Full update feature list:

New for iPad:
- Brightness control
- New design for browser window
- Download icon shows progress of active downloads
- Bookmarks bar can be switched off

New for all devices:
- Dropbox-Support: Export/import bookmarks. Upload images, files, web pages, downloads to your dropbox account.
- (Limited) file upload is supported. Works fine on web pages which do not try to modify the default forms processing of the browser (for example works fine for uploading photos to flickr.com). Can fail on pages which mess with the forms processing of the browser. You can upload photos or files from the download manager.
- In-page search now supports to navigate between the search results
- Search the selected text in the default search engine.
- New settings for low memory situations. iCab can display a warning and/or free inactive Tabs to get enough memory for the active Tab
- In fullscreen mode you can now enter a new URL.
- Search Suggestions from Google or Yahoo
- Audio playback on web pages can continue when iCab is in the background
- News Icon
- Russian Translation

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/012/Purple/a4/80/96/mzl.catsiiko.480x480-75.jpg
http://appshopper.com/link/icab-mobile-web-browser

It's looking nice so far, the interface is based on iPad Safari now, so it's gorgeous, and it feels so much snappier now! Overall, and with the memory features, I think this takes it the top of the iPad browser category now. Only thing... still no 'copy' for images! The only thing I still need to go to Safari for. :confused:

Anyone else: thoughts?

EssentialParado
Oct 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
Wow! I just tested out the low memory feature, opening as many tabs as I can, but I cannot get it to crash anymore. It'll lag for a split-second then become responsive again. I assume this is it freeing up memory. Very nice not having to worry about crashes anymore though. :)

MaxPower49
Oct 8, 2010, 08:08 PM
Love it!!! Miles ahead of atomic now IMO. No reason anyone should still be using safari when this is only a couple bucks.

kaibob
Oct 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the information. One reason I have not purchased iCab is because I did not want the bookmark bar. Along with all the other great new features, I'm glad to see that the bookmark bar can now be disabled.

chiefroastbeef
Oct 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Wowsa!! thanks for the post, gonna get it immediately after I get my iPad back from my friend. That looks amazing.

BergerFan
Oct 9, 2010, 01:34 AM
iCab is easily the best ipad browser IMO.
Atomic is ugly to look at, whereas iCab is Apple-level gorgeous.
Great tabbed browsing, downloads(could be better), great performance, and has the Safari tab style(big grid of page thumbnails), if you want that too.

okrelayer
Oct 9, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have NEVER liked any browsers on iPhone or iPad other than safari. Sure some of them had more features, but they looked horrible, and they were clunky, and not stable until i bought iCab a few weeks ago. This browser is incredible. It looks nice, its stable, its got many extra features, there is very little i could nitpick about. I felt like that until this newest update.. this newest update knocks iCab out of the park. Though i am still not sold on the iPhone counterpart, mostly because the extra features I will use more on the iPad such as downloading. If you have an iPad there is no reason for you to use any other browser, buy it now!

knucklehead
Oct 9, 2010, 08:59 AM
About the only thing missing now is a good way to page up and down.
After going from Grazing to Atomic and then iCab, the only thing I'm really missing is Grazing's thumbpad - by far the best way I've found to navigate link heavy sites.

BergerFan
Oct 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
I have NEVER liked any browsers on iPhone or iPad other than safari. Sure some of them had more features, but they looked horrible, and they were clunky, and not stable until i bought iCab a few weeks ago. This browser is incredible. It looks nice, its stable, its got many extra features, there is very little i could nitpick about. I felt like that until this newest update.. this newest update knocks iCab out of the park. Though i am still not sold on the iPhone counterpart, mostly because the extra features I will use more on the iPad such as downloading. If you have an iPad there is no reason for you to use any other browser, buy it now!I think that copying Safari's graphical style was genius, as I often forget that I'm in iCab, the transition is seamless.
Agreed on the iPhone version. Safari still rules there.

About the only thing missing now is a good way to page up and down.
After going from Grazing to Atomic and then iCab, the only thing I'm really missing is Grazing's thumbpad - by far the best way I've found to navigate link heavy sites.In the seetings there's a 'Scrollpad' slider at the bottom... What does that do?

pruppert
Oct 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
Just bought icab because of the praise in this thread. It is indeed very nice and I may switch to it full time from atomic. I especially like how Apple-like the user interface is.

But it does not have one of the atomic features I love the most, multitouch gestures (2 finger swipe left or right to switch between tabs, two finger swipe down to delete tab).

Am I missing something? Is there some way to implement multitouch gestures?

kaibob
Oct 9, 2010, 09:55 AM
One other feature that seems to be missing from iCab is the ability to open at once all bookmarks contained within a bookmark folder. In Atomic, this is accomplished by selecting the option to "Open all bookmarks in tabs." Still, because it has so much that is missing from Atomic, I strongly suspect iCab will be my browser of choice.

In partial response to the previous post, a 3-finger up/down gesture will move to the previous/next tab. I find this to be cumbersome, but it is there. The "FAQ, News" in the iCab "Tools" menu explains all gestures.

knucklehead
Oct 9, 2010, 10:09 AM
In the seetings there's a 'Scrollpad' slider at the bottom... What does that do?

Looks like it turns the Scrollpad feature on or off.

Personally, I prefer to keep it on, as the scrollpad is useful to quickly pan around a webpage.

It sure would be nice to be able duplicate Grazing's thumbpad's ability to unobtrusively let you page (not scroll) up and down without triggering links. If there's a way to do this, someone let me know - I haven't found it. Otherwise this version of iCab is pretty close to all I'm looking for in a iPad browser.

iThinman
Oct 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
I use the bottom transparent buttons in atomic consistently, does iCab have a similar feature?

Tia

imcquill
Oct 9, 2010, 11:33 AM
The design of the tab bar has been redone. It looks really nice now. You can auto hide the bar when there is only one tab open, and they moved the close buttons to the left side of the tabs like everywhere else in iOS.

kaibob
Oct 9, 2010, 11:38 AM
I use the bottom transparent buttons in atomic consistently, does iCab have a similar feature?

Tia

I looked and couldn't find anything similar. I miss the buttons to go to the bottom of a web page and to close a tab. When in full-screen mode, there are seven buttons along the top and bottom of the screen, but they cannot be changed by the user.

EDIT

There is a scroll-to-bottom module. It's not as handy as a button but better than nothing.

pruppert
Oct 9, 2010, 11:55 AM
Now that I've played with the app a little more today, all I have to say is:

DAMN!

It is just about all you could ask for in a browser. Very nice. Runs extremely smoothly. Great feature set. Now resides on the dock as my primary browser.

pruppert
Oct 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry for dominating tis thread but what is a nice unrar app that pairs nicely with icab?

okrelayer
Oct 9, 2010, 01:46 PM
get filer. When you download something from iCab it will allow you to open it in filer. Its amazing!

DylanG
Oct 9, 2010, 04:59 PM
It's a tremendous release. This is now a full-time replacement for Safari. It's the first browser with the features, polish and stability that has been good enough to do that.

pruppert
Oct 10, 2010, 01:59 PM
FYI, I found this today. Save any old webpage as a bookmark in Safari and then change that bookmark's URL to the following:

javascript:location.href='web'+location.href.substring(4)

Then rename it as "Open in iCab" or something. It will open the currently viewed webpage in iCab.

Riemann Zeta
Oct 12, 2010, 09:03 AM
Just bought this last night and it seems to be the best browser for the iPad, hands down. I like Perfect Browser on the iPhone, but iCab may just take over there as well.

Also, it seems to work well with iOS 4.

SemlinaPilchard
Oct 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
Just bought this last night and it seems to be the best browser for the iPad, hands down.

What makes it so much better than Safari, which seems to me to do the job?

okrelayer
Oct 12, 2010, 02:51 PM
for me its being able to download files such as .rar, full screen browsing, tabs bar, and some of the plug ins like instapaper mobilizer

DylanG
Oct 12, 2010, 03:05 PM
The Readability plug-in is sweet. It's the open source tech on which Apple based the "Reader" feature in Safari 5.

HappyDude20
Oct 13, 2010, 04:11 AM
The only why I haven't bitten the bullet yet (though I know I will) is something I heard on the forums months ago that any 3rd party browser aside from Safari depletes the iPad's battery a lot quicker...to the tune of 3% when Safari would only take away 1%. Is this true or hogwash?

All the excitement in this thread is making me wanna purchase this.

:):):)

LiloThePleo
Oct 13, 2010, 05:30 AM
Icab uses no more battery power than any other browser including safari.

I've been using icab since I got my iPad it is by far the most stable and the best browser and now it's even better :)

srl7741
Oct 13, 2010, 10:40 AM
The only why I haven't bitten the bullet yet (though I know I will) is something I heard on the forums months ago that any 3rd party browser aside from Safari depletes the iPad's battery a lot quicker...to the tune of 3% when Safari would only take away 1%. Is this true or hogwash?

All the excitement in this thread is making me wanna purchase this.

:):):)

I have not noticed this at all. The only real issue I have run into with iCab is not being able to fill in forms or make posts in Forums. There seems to be an issue with some sites. The keyboard pops up but then goes away and when visable I'm not able to type anything in the text field.

HappyDude20
Oct 13, 2010, 11:46 AM
This is sweet. I haven't imported my links to safari yet so think this is a good excuse to purchase icab. :)

Here I go!

dws90
Oct 13, 2010, 04:55 PM
Does this include any bookmarks syncing options? The blurb said Dropbox was supported for import/export, but is it possible to sync bookmarks with Firefox on the desktop without having to manually do an import? If you do have to do it manually, is there some sort of "merge" option, or will you get duplicates of bookmarks you already have in iCab?

kaibob
Oct 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
Does this include any bookmarks syncing options? The blurb said Dropbox was supported for import/export, but is it possible to sync bookmarks with Firefox on the desktop without having to manually do an import? If you do have to do it manually, is there some sort of "merge" option, or will you get duplicates of bookmarks you already have in iCab?

I don't know if bookmarks can be synced. If you manually import bookmarks from dropbox, you are given an option to add to or replace the existing bookmarks. The replace option works just as you would expect. The add option places the imported bookmarks in a folder with the name Imported followed by the date.

MacBH928
Oct 14, 2010, 05:21 AM
the browser is great , much more usable than safari, and its dirt cheap at $2.

but one of the reasons i bought this app is to view webpages offline , as i have wifi only ipad. This is useful when for me to read articles at later time. aftrr i updated to the current version i noticed that my webpages do not get saved for offline browsing.

the help says that i should disable private browsing but i never siwtched it on in the first plave and it is OFF. currently.
any one knows whay am i doing wrong?

wesk702
Oct 14, 2010, 09:15 PM
Can't believe nobody's been ranting about the new brightness levels. My fav.
Now I can read in the dark without blinding myself

EssentialParado
Oct 15, 2010, 03:41 AM
the browser is great , much more usable than safari, and its dirt cheap at $2.

but one of the reasons i bought this app is to view webpages offline , as i have wifi only ipad. This is useful when for me to read articles at later time. aftrr i updated to the current version i noticed that my webpages do not get saved for offline browsing.

the help says that i should disable private browsing but i never siwtched it on in the first plave and it is OFF. currently.
any one knows whay am i doing wrong?
Try emailing the author. He always responds to emails pretty quickly.

I have not noticed this at all. The only real issue I have run into with iCab is not being able to fill in forms or make posts in Forums. There seems to be an issue with some sites. The keyboard pops up but then goes away and when visable I'm not able to type anything in the text field.

I've never noticed this happen in 6 months. Although I have noticed if a page is still loading and you try to open the keyboard, it sometimes collapses the keyboard once it's finished loading and you'll need to open it. Is that what you mean? Otherwise, it might just be problems with those particular forums maybe?

FortWorthMac
Oct 15, 2010, 03:43 AM
Hello all,

In regards to downloading files, is it possible to download files to ones linked Dropbox account?

Thanks
David

lapino
Oct 15, 2010, 09:22 AM
Such a shame that there isn't an option to make iCab the default browser.

kaibob
Oct 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hello all,

In regards to downloading files, is it possible to download files to ones linked Dropbox account?

Thanks
David

I couldn't find a way to do this directly. However, after downloading a file, you can upload the file to dropbox from within in iCab. This only takes three taps and is quite easy.

BergerFan
Oct 15, 2010, 02:37 PM
Such a shame that there isn't an option to make iCab the default browser.If you're jailbroken, download the free add-on from the default BigBoss repo in Cydia, called Browser Changer. It does what it says, and makes your browser of choice as the default!
I just tried with some webclip homescreen icons, and it works! :eek:

It supports all the popular iPad browsers.

FortWorthMac
Oct 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
I couldn't find a way to do this directly. However, after downloading a file, you can upload the file to dropbox from within in iCab. This only takes three taps and is quite easy.

Good idea......

Thanks for the reply.

JulianL
Oct 16, 2010, 12:35 PM
In my experience it's hogwash. I use iCab as my main browser and I get over 10 hours of usage on a charge when browsing with iCab. If these crazy "three times the battery drain" claims were true then there is no way that my iPad battery would last for 10 plus hours.

While I'm typing, I might as well add my voice to the chorus. This latest update is awesome. I've been a fan of iCab since I downloaded it in April, the day after getting my device, but it just got even better. The new tabs design is really nice.

- Julian

petvas
Oct 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
Generally I am not very fond of other browsers other than Safari, mainly because there is no way on a non jail broken ipad to make it default. Another reason is the lack of bookmark sync. I decided to buy icab and see how it is working. I am using it for the last half hour and I have to say that I am impressed. I easily imported my bookmarks from my Mac and now I am enjoying browsing with no ads. :)
I wish Apple would allow us to change the default browser.

whynot83706
Oct 23, 2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, finally...looks even better now

87vert
Oct 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
Cool!!! Now I can download torrents on the road and put them in my dropbox where my iMac will auto download them so they can be ready when I get home instead of having to work with VNC.

MadeTheSwitch
Oct 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
Just downloaded iCab a few days ago and must say I am quite impressed. I was looking for a new browser because Atomic crashed on me too much and Safari was too slow and cumbersome. I almost never buy something without a free version to try out first, but other people had given iCab such a good review I said what the hell and did it. Totally worth it. Love it so far and it's really really stable too. I doubt that anyone would be unhappy with it over the other choices out there currently. So if you haven't checked it out yet, take the plunge.

I don't know that I am wild about the icon for it, lol. But hey, at least it stands out.

misterbig
Oct 28, 2010, 01:44 AM
I've been searching for the perfect iPad web browser for the longest time and bought several apps including Atomic and Browser. iCab is by far the best of them all, and the modules functions are amazing! My favorites are readability and send to Instapaper. Totally worth the asking price and I dare say it's the best app I've bought. :)

inspiritu
Oct 28, 2010, 07:21 AM
I've been using this browser for several weeks and I love it. my favorite on the ipad.

BUT it does crash for me more than atomic ever did. would love some more stability with multiple pages open.

and it does not play well with forums such as this one--for instance I can never use the quoute reply function on certain boards.

AND my least favorite thing is when I go to a page and put the cursor in a text entry box and the keyboard pops up, and then the keyboard will disappear because part of the page (like an ad) hasn't finished loading. so I have to bring up the keyboard again and I start typing and then it will disappear again because it's still loading.

but even with these complaints, I feel it is the best browser on the iPad market.

felixen
Nov 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
I can't figure out how to make it remember my login details like safari does. It's actually the only reason I use safari the most. Well that and then because I don't know if it's just as safe to use when you log in a lot of places..? Overall I like it a lot better though..

pruppert
Nov 4, 2010, 08:59 PM
I can't figure out how to make it remember my login details like safari does. It's actually the only reason I use safari the most. Well that and then because I don't know if it's just as safe to use when you log in a lot of places..? Overall I like it a lot better though..

Fill in your login details on the page you want. Before hitting enter, go up and tap the arrow icon between the bookmarks and tabs icons. Tap on save forms. That's it.

To test it out, close that tab and then load it back up. Your details automatically populate the fields.

felixen
Nov 5, 2010, 09:26 AM
Fill in your login details on the page you want. Before hitting enter, go up and tap the arrow icon between the bookmarks and tabs icons. Tap on save forms. That's it.

To test it out, close that tab and then load it back up. Your details automatically populate the fields.

Awesome! Thanks a lot man

Also, would it be unsafe to have iCab remember these details compared to having safari remember them?

dvamv
Nov 7, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi

Is there any way to have a specific page on icab startup?
(I want every time that I open icab to go to google page)

Thanks

JulianL
Nov 7, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi

Is there any way to have a specific page on icab startup?
(I want every time that I open icab to go to google page)

Thanks

icab has a separate set of options that you get to via an icab section in the main Apple settings app. You should find the options that you need there, in particular you can set the home page to be what you want (e.g. Google) and then a couple of lines down there is an option to tell icab what to load on startup (blank page, last session, homepage, etc). If you set that to load your home page on startup then that should get you what you want.

- Julian

dvamv
Nov 7, 2010, 04:22 PM
icab has a separate set of options that you get to via an icab section in the main Apple settings app. You should find the options that you need there, in particular you can set the home page to be what you want (e.g. Google) and then a couple of lines down there is an option to tell icab what to load on startup (blank page, last session, homepage, etc). If you set that to load your home page on startup then that should get you what you want.

- Julian

Thanks

Dimos

debudebu
Nov 7, 2010, 04:22 PM
How do you import bookmarks from desktop to Icab? I've downloaded the bookmarks.html to dropbox and tried to import from there but I get a 404 error. My web connect is working fine so maybe I"m doing something else wrong?

kaibob
Nov 7, 2010, 06:39 PM
How do you import bookmarks from desktop to Icab? I've downloaded the bookmarks.html to dropbox and tried to import from there but I get a 404 error. My web connect is working fine so maybe I"m doing something else wrong?
I have done this with icab and it works fine. Are you sure the file is in the correct dropbox directory as defined in the icab settings? Also, the file name created by icab when exporting is Bookmarks.html. I don't know if the ipad file system is case sensitive, but you might try changing the file name. Have you tried to export bookmarks from icab to dropbox to insure that is working OK.

debudebu
Nov 7, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have done this with icab and it works fine. Are you sure the file is in the correct dropbox directory as defined in the icab settings? Also, the file name created by icab when exporting is Bookmarks.html. I don't know if the ipad file system is case sensitive, but you might try changing the file name. Have you tried to export bookmarks from icab to dropbox to insure that is working OK.
I just had the Bookmark.html within dropbox, then I realized it needed to be within an Icabmobile folder inside the dropbox folder so I created one and all went well. thanks

fillilutten
Dec 3, 2010, 09:02 PM
The 4.2 update just arrived to a iPad near you.
Love the gestures! But there is one thing I don't really get. QuickStarter, how do I add sites to the QuickStarter? It says it's done in the Action menu, but where is this menu? :/

MacBH928
Dec 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
The "Action" menu is the icon with the arrow next to the Bookmarks menu
click on it and you can add the websites you want to Quickstarter

Fedorov
Dec 4, 2010, 05:00 AM
Only one bug so far - 3 finger DOWN gesture to close tab - if you've only got one tab it clears the existing web page but does not clear the address bar.
If you try and select a bookmark to load it does nothing and sometimes crashes too.

JulianL
Dec 4, 2010, 06:15 AM
Has anyone noticed how much action there now is under iOS 4.2 as far as iCab's low memory warning bar at the bottom the screen goes?

The way it works is that, if you have the appropriate iCab setting enabled for memory management, iCab will put a coloured bar at the bottom of the screen when it isn't happy about the amount of free meory available: a yellow bar for a mild warning and a red bar for a more serious warning. With 3.2.2 I didn't start seeing warnings until I got to about 4 tabs.

With iOS 4.2.1 I usually get a red warning as soon as I switch to iCab, even if I only have one tab open, but that warning usually goes to a yellow bar within seconds and then disappears. I would guess that what's going on here is that when I switched away from the app that I was using just before iCab (and maybe ones before that as well) then those apps are frozen in memory as part of the iOS multi tasking & state saving feature so that when iCab is re-entered it restarts with only part of the main memory available to it and throws up a warning but, as it continues to run, iOS sees (or maybe iCab explicitly says) that it wants more memory and iOS starts evicting the saved apps from main memory so that the severity of the iCab memory warnings get less and then eventually go away.

I've never had iCab crash on me or refuse to open a new tab because of this, I just think it's quite interesting to see iOS 4.2 memory/process management in action in this way.

- Julian

DylanG
Dec 4, 2010, 10:04 AM
You're right on with iOS 4.2 memory management. When you have a web view based app like iCab (or River of News), this level of memory control is completely out of the hands of the developer. The best that non-Apple apps can do is use low level APIs to make some educated guesses as to when memory is going to run out.

Overall, I'd expect you can get more tabs open in 4.2 than you could 3.2. Apple implemented some limited memory swap with the flash memory and the result is the iPad will give an individual app about 50% more headroom than it used to.

Piggie
Dec 4, 2010, 10:39 AM
Can we all please ask Apple to allow us to select a default browser on the next iPad update.

To do so would be such a tiny tiny change.

The only reason not do to it, I can think is only out of spite and to deliberately make life difficult for people who wish to use a browser with some better features than Safari.

Either upgrade Safari, or allow a change of default browser.

Is that too much to ask?

petvas
Dec 4, 2010, 11:05 AM
Can we all please ask Apple to allow us to select a default browser on the next iPad update.

To do so would be such a tiny tiny change.

The only reason not do to it, I can think is only out of spite and to deliberately make life difficult for people who wish to use a browser with some better features than Safari.

Either upgrade Safari, or allow a change of default browser.

Is that too much to ask?

I too would like to be able to change my default browser, but I understand why Apple doesn't allow that. They want to control the user experience. Internet browsing is one of the most important things that people can do on a tablet, so Apple doesn't want to risk anything.

MacBH928
Dec 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
I faced the iCab's memory issue with 3.2.2 before upgrading to 4.2
it never happened before, but then it started to happen all the time.
I don't understand really why.

I contacted the developer and said that he can't control that because you are free to run whatever you want on the browser and that will kill the low RAM of the iPad.

the funny thing is that I had only 1 tab opened, and it was a text html page. it did crash on me.

Now I use it but keep an eye to keep it within the 1-2 tabs open only

any one still using Safari is missing on the amazing experience of using other browsers

kaibob
Dec 4, 2010, 04:36 PM
After upgrading to 4.2, I began getting frequent memory warnings with icab, so I just turned that setting off. I am actually able to open more tabs under 4.2 then 3.2, which is really all that's important.

GaresTaylan
Dec 5, 2010, 12:09 AM
Decided to give this a whirl after being a die hard Atomic fan for so long. Boy i didnt realize what i was missing. I see icab replacing Atomic as my full time browser.

JulianL
Dec 5, 2010, 05:04 AM
Decided to give this a whirl after being a die hard Atomic fan for so long. Boy i didnt realize what i was missing. I see icab replacing Atomic as my full time browser.
Yeah. For maybe two or three apps that really are your core apps (and the browser is probably one of those for most people) I always think it's worth the few extra dollars to buy the top one or even two competitors and keep the runners up installed in a "Duplicates" folder on the last page of the apps/home screen. This way they don't clutter up the iPad (or iPhone) and you get update notifications so that you can look at how the competitors are evolving and make decisions as to whether some previous "runner up" has just overtaken your previous favourite and should now be your new prefered choice. It's true that this can be done by keeping an eye on the competitors update announcements and reading user feedback on forums like this but it's a lot easier and more convenient to get the update notifications via the AppStore app and to have the competitor apps already installed so that you can take a hands-on lokk at any update that looks interesting.

The fact that the iOS developer community is so big and active with so many competitors for my key app areas is what made me switch over to Apple mobile devices in May this year. As someone that came from the PC world the apps also still seem dirt cheap to me so even buying a couple of duplicates still has me buying apps at prices that I consider very low (10 for an office suite like Docs2Go or 3 for a finance manager like PocketMoney for instance - to me that's real value for money).

- Julian

ravenvii
Dec 5, 2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah. For maybe two or three apps that really are your core apps (and the browser is probably one of those for most people) I always think it's worth the few extra dollars to buy the top one or even two competitors and keep the runners up installed in a "Duplicates" folder on the last page of the apps/home screen. This way they don't clutter up the iPad (or iPhone) and you get update notifications so that you can look at how the competitors are evolving and make decisions as to whether some previous "runner up" has just overtaken your previous favourite and should now be your new prefered choice. It's true that this can be done by keeping an eye on the competitors update announcements and reading user feedback on forums like this but it's a lot easier and more convenient to get the update notifications via the AppStore app and to have the competitor apps already installed so that you can take a hands-on lokk at any update that looks interesting.

The fact that the iOS developer community is so big and active with so many competitors for my key app areas is what made me switch over to Apple mobile devices in May this year. As someone that came from the PC world the apps also still seem dirt cheap to me so even buying a couple of duplicates still has me buying apps at prices that I consider very low (10 for an office suite like Docs2Go or 3 for a finance manager like PocketMoney for instance - to me that's real value for money).

- Julian

Or just use AppShopper. :)

testcard
Dec 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
The "Action" menu is the icon with the arrow next to the Bookmarks menu
click on it and you can add the websites you want to Quickstarter

I'd assumed that pages in QuickStarter would be pre-fetched when opening iCab, but this doesn't seem to be the case for me. They take as long to load as selecting a page in Bookmarks. Anyone else found this?

MacBH928
Dec 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'd assumed that pages in QuickStarter would be pre-fetched when opening iCab, but this doesn't seem to be the case for me. They take as long to load as selecting a page in Bookmarks. Anyone else found this?

I Don't see the need to use this featur. The iPad is highly lacking in RAM and maybe in procesor power . If it will hinder performance you. might as well not use it. Use hookmarks