Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times adds their confirmation that Apple is planning to launch a Verizon iPhone early next year.
After more than three years of using only AT&T cellphone networks, Apple is now making a version of the iPhone 4 for Verizon’s network, according to a person who is in direct contact with Apple. Apple and Verizon will begin selling the phone early next year, said the person, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity because the plans were supposed to be confidential and he did not want to alienate his contacts at Apple.
The report comes just days after the Wall Street Journal similarly reported that Apple was going to ramp up production of a Verizon iPhone later this year for an early 2011 launch.

This is not the first time that we've seen rumors for a Verizon iPhone, though the combination of sources from both the New York Times and Wall Street Journal adds to the credibility of this round of rumors. Interesting to note is that Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg will be keynoting the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show on January 6th, 2011.

Article Link: NY Times Confirms Verizon iPhone for Next Year

tigert07

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
this stuff is getting crazy. potentially real this time. CDMA tech is still going i suppose. Maybe a CDMA/LTE chip for verizon iPhone?

xenuprime

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Wow. This could happen!

I just hope the white one is not exclusive to Verizon (if it even exists).

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lol oh geez, I didn't know the nytimes was capable of confirming a product they don't make.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Good news. Competition is good for everyone. I'm sticking with ATT because I have been happy there, but being on multiple carriers will be good for Apple, and that's what I care about. I will be really interested to see what this does to iPhone's overall market share.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Looks like the Apple/Verizon relationship is off to a great start. LOL.

Controlled leak? Perhaps, but more than likely an overzealous Verizon executive that couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

So would Steve really allow an announcement of this magnitude to be made by anyone other than himself? (not counting the time he was out sick)

No.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
Well, look at that. This article is going to get people's hopes real high. Like those who are sick of the rumors, those who "see it to believe it", those that don't think it will happen because of ATT contract reasons (This one, here, is a pathetic argument), and many more. I don't care what pros and cons there will be for the iPhone going to Verizon. I am just happy it's going to Verizon so I have an option for my carrier.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Maybe it really is happening. I don't care though. I wish US users had the option of (what?... like) 5 carriers like the UK.

xenuprime

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I just notices the "confirmed" did not have any exclamation points, no underline and was not in bold!

I call shenanigans!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Until Apple or Verizon makes an announcement, this means absolutely nothing.

Agreed. This doesn't mean a bloody thing.

I'll laugh my arse off if China Telecom gets the CDMA phones that Apple is rumoured to be making.

Quite honestly, this sounds like someone is miffed that another paper's "analyst" came up with a story before them, and are now posting a 'me too' article.

We'll wait and see, but I highly doubt this.

BL.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Good timing. My 2 year agreement with Verizon ends in January. :cool:

It is good timing. My Verizon contract ends in May 2011. It would give me time to decide from the customers who have experience with it, good and bad, on the Verizon network. It would also allow time for Apple to fix possible problems early on.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
now it better not be some iphone lite.

It hopefully will have cdma/lte chip. Even though i'll take an iphone 4 cdma no questions asked, it would be a slight bummer to get the Verizon iphone in feb.march and then iphone 5 comes out in july. Guess beggars can't be choosers :D

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
"Verizon will begin selling the phone early next year, said the person, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity because the plans were supposed to be confidential and he did not want to alienate his contacts at Apple."

I wonder if this was a sanctioned and 'approved' leak by Apple to let the masses know what's happening and to foil the holiday sales of Android devices and other smart phones, if the masses knew they could get the iPhone on Verizon in a few short months? :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas Google! ;)

:apple:

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Verizon or AT&T, What's the difference?

Too late for me. It only seemed like this was being a rumor that would never happen. Then Verizon said that they would follow AT&T with their lack of an unlimited plan. So my company switched from Verizon to Sprint just 3-4 months ago. With Sprint using a different 4g than everyone else there is even a smaller chance that Sprint will not carry the iPhone.

Now I am so used to my larger screen on my Android phone that I would not switch to an iPhone if it does come to Verizon or Sprint. I've been a Mac User since 1984. I also have purchased 6 or so iPid including a 64 GB iPod Touch. So an iPhone would be my natural progression. Apple put too many roadblocks in the way so even a move to Verizon or Sprint will remain too late.

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

pmz said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lol oh geez, I didn't know the nytimes was capable of confirming a product they don't make.

No, but they can sure confirm that there's a rumor going around!

roratus

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
NAZI Occupied Florida

Wow. This could happen!

I just hope the white one is not exclusive to Verizon (if it even exists).

BAHAHAHAH I love your signature line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.