Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sestian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Is it possible to hack the new Apple TV to use safari (or other browser) to surf the internet, and to use a wireless keyboard?

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: It's probably not going to be a big priority amongst those who will be capable of programming for the Apple TV once it's jailbroken.

Getting the Bluetooth stack up and running will be hit and miss- it may *just work* or it may not. Expect to pay for it, though, as that's how the cookie crumbles in Cydia world.

As Safari is effectively already on the new Apple TV (in its iOS incarnation) then it's probably just a GUI away from being turned into a usable browser.

I wouldn't bet on any of this happening any time soon, though. But you're welcome to try your hand at some hackery yourself.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think that the :apple:TV has built in bluetooth.

According to iFixit:

The Broadcom BCM4329XKUBG 802.11n Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/FM chip on the Panasonic board is exactly the same as the one we found on the iPad.

So yes, there is hardware support built-in for Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.