Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DPH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
Hello!

I just got my first car! and i really need a iphone car kit for my iphone 4, the problem is that i use an iSkin Solo case and i want it to work with the car kit, anyone knows a car kit that works with cases?

DMC0921

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Fernley, NV
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but Best Buy has the Rocket Fish window/dash mount for $20 that works well with a case. It holds in either landscape or portrait and rotates too. Not bad for $20.

DPH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but Best Buy has the Rocket Fish window/dash mount for $20 that works well with a case. It holds in either landscape or portrait and rotates too. Not bad for $20.

tnx im gonna check it out!

Im looking for something thats almost like the tomtom car kit but works great with an iphone 4 in a case, in both landscape and portrait

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
Check out the Brodit kits.
They consist of a car specific clip and a device specific mount.
There are versions for naked iPhone4 as well as ones for Bumpers and other cases.
I got the adjustible one and it works very well with the Pixelskin HD case.

DPH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
Check out the Brodit kits.
They consist of a car specific clip and a device specific mount.
There are versions for naked iPhone4 as well as ones for Bumpers and other cases.
I got the adjustible one and it works very well with the Pixelskin HD case.

tnx! its the best car kit i have seen that works with an case for iphone 4! and i can even use the cabel in it with my stereo!

but it got one problem:/ the ones that supports skins dont allowed horizontal, thats bad, it would be a killer if it had horizontal veiw! view

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
Well, the site I had linked to is the manufacturer's.
You should be able to google for a retailer or online shop near you.
In Europe that should definitely not be too difficult, I don't know about the US though.
In Germany, there's both Brodit24 and Brodit-Shop; both do ship internationally.

Prices are approximately 19 Euros for the car clip plus 25 Euros for the device mount.
They even offer a mounting solution for the iPad (slightly more expensive, obviously).

About the horizontal/vertical (or portrait/landscape) issue:
The one I have allows adjustment in any direction, so it's not a problem at all to put it in landscape mode.
You can adjust it so that it fits tightly enough in any case, even though they won't mention or recommend that. No worries.
However, I got accustomed to leaving my iPhone in portrait mode, even when using navigation software.
Just because an original Tomtom device displays the map in landscape mode doesn't necessarily mean that that's actually the best way to look at a map while driving... ;)

DPH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
Well, the site I had linked to is the manufacturer's.
You should be able to google for a retailer or online shop near you.
In Europe that should definitely not be too difficult, I don't know about the US though.
In Germany, there's both Brodit24 and Brodit-Shop; both do ship internationally.

Prices are approximately 19 Euros for the car clip plus 25 Euros for the device mount.
They even offer a mounting solution for the iPad (slightly more expensive, obviously).

About the horizontal/vertical (or portrait/landscape) issue:
The one I have allows adjustment in any direction, so it's not a problem at all to put it in landscape mode.
You can adjust it so that it fits tightly enough in any case, even though they won't mention or recommend that. No worries.
However, I got accustomed to leaving my iPhone in portrait mode, even when using navigation software.
Just because an original Tomtom device displays the map in landscape mode doesn't necessarily mean that that's actually the best way to look at a map while driving... ;)

thats what i want! to have the one that works with cases and have both horizontal and vertical view! which product do you have, it is so manny of them!

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
I've got model no. 511165.
Officially, it's for portrait use only, but really, you can adjust it so that the iPhone rests tightly enough to use it in landscape as well.
Especially with cases that are "soft" and provide some grip I wouldn't worry.

JM2

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
South Florida
Brodit = ProClip in the US: http://www.proclipusa.com/

I got the "Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment Apple iPhone 4" item #516165.

It works with my Incipio NGP case and my wife's Rocketfish Gel Case. The holder is adjustable so I assume most cases will fit. The dock connector is even raised so there is no interference with it plugging in.

The holder is VERY secure once you've adjusted it - horizontal or vertical. Its expensive but appears to the best engineered car holder on the market. The real claim to fame is the dash part of the mount, ProClip has a database of vehicles and various adapters to fit most of models. I bought one for a '00 VW Passat and one for a '02 Dodge Dakota.

So far no complaints... the iPhone is held in tight and very usable with the tilt adjustment, I've got the TomTom app and iPod audio or Slacker music playback thru a Pioneer aftermarket head unit (via USB) works perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.