chrisqmalibu
Oct 9, 2010, 04:40 PM
Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NksXmYdji1A

saberahul
Oct 9, 2010, 04:43 PM
nice music feel free to send it to me.

rprebel
Oct 9, 2010, 04:45 PM
An actual video showing real world usage would have been better than a collection of stills with background music.

Phil A.
Oct 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
To be honest, I absolutely love my iPad, but there is no doubt at all in my mind that my Wife's kindle is far, far superior for reading outdoors in direct sunlight: that's the strength of the e-ink technology. Of course, the down side of it is she had to get a case with a light in it to read it in the dark ;)

CalBoy
Oct 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
TOf course, the down side of it is she had to get a case with a light in it to read it in the dark ;)

I really don't understand how this is an advantage for iPad readers though.

By and large, you should read with some light, if only to avoid eye strain that can cause headaches and fatigue. I realize this isn't true for everyone (or at least not in youth), but generally speaking wouldn't it be odd to be sitting in the dark and reading? :confused:

Now of course the one glaring exception to this is when a significant other wants to read while another wants to sleep. However, if one can afford an iPad, shouldn't one logically be able to afford a separate chair to sit in for reading? Is it really a terrible inconvenience to read in a different part of the room (or in a different room) so that the light doesn't distract your partner?

Perhaps even more importantly, why is reading in bed an imperative? Generally speaking it isn't recommended because it can contribute to acute insomnia.

And no, I don't mean to preach about any one method or the other because I realize that people will do what's comfortable for them, but I just wanted to raise some logical objections with this oft mentioned "advantage."

Oct 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
I find it ironic that in the video, at 0:24, that it is explained how to best use the iPad in direct sunlight.

Doesn't that undermine the entire point of the video and just substantiate Amazons claim/ point?

CalBoy
Oct 9, 2010, 05:19 PM
I find it ironic that in the video, at 0:24, that it is explained how to best use the iPad in direct sunlight.

Doesn't that undermine the entire point of the video and just substantiate Amazons claim/ point?

I think the use of stills also contributes to this effect. If a video showing real life usage in the sun had been taken, it would have been far more unequivocal.

In this case I can't be sure if the photographer took his time to minimize glare, which is in effect the solution the Amazon guy had been seeking in the commercial (even if he spent a minute on fine-tuning the angle/position, the point remains).

I know from experience with my iPhone that the glass does produce a lot of glare, and any fingerprints/spots certainly won't help. I can't imagine it gets any easier with the iPad.

Phil A.
Oct 10, 2010, 05:17 AM
I really don't understand how this is an advantage for iPad readers though.

By and large, you should read with some light, if only to avoid eye strain that can cause headaches and fatigue. I realize this isn't true for everyone (or at least not in youth), but generally speaking wouldn't it be odd to be sitting in the dark and reading? :confused:

Now of course the one glaring exception to this is when a significant other wants to read while another wants to sleep. However, if one can afford an iPad, shouldn't one logically be able to afford a separate chair to sit in for reading? Is it really a terrible inconvenience to read in a different part of the room (or in a different room) so that the light doesn't distract your partner?

Perhaps even more importantly, why is reading in bed an imperative? Generally speaking it isn't recommended because it can contribute to acute insomnia.

And no, I don't mean to preach about any one method or the other because I realize that people will do what's comfortable for them, but I just wanted to raise some logical objections with this oft mentioned "advantage."

I didn't say it was an advantage for iPad users, rather that a feature of the E Ink system is that it requires external light to work effectively, be that natural light or artificial

chrisqmalibu
Oct 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
You can download it at the credit section at the end.

nice music feel free to send it to me.

If I have a Nikon D7000, it would be :)

An actual video showing real world usage would have been better than a collection of stills with background music.

Amazon claims the iPad is 100% not useable in sunlight. It's not exactly that. The shots contradict the claim. I thought the same when I first got the iPad. I even got the Kindle just to find out how bad it is as a PDF reader.

So I go back to the iPad and returned the Kindle.

The only reason I use stills it because I don't do video. I do plan to get the Nikon D7000 later on. I shot them with Nikon D200 with Nikon 50mm f/1.2 and a Moose polarizing filter.

I would get similar effect with video. Well, as long as I have good interchangeable lens to account for "shooting into the sun" effect.

I think the use of stills also contributes to this effect. If a video showing real life usage in the sun had been taken, it would have been far more unequivocal.

In this case I can't be sure if the photographer took his time to minimize glare, which is in effect the solution the Amazon guy had been seeking in the commercial (even if he spent a minute on fine-tuning the angle/position, the point remains).

I know from experience with my iPhone that the glass does produce a lot of glare, and any fingerprints/spots certainly won't help. I can't imagine it gets any easier with the iPad.