PDA

View Full Version : Do Touch Aps I paid for upgrade to Pad Aps?

dmunz
Oct 9, 2010, 09:04 PM
I have a touch and I know I can download aps in my iTune account to an iPad if I buy one, but will they upgrade to the iPad version for free?

If so, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

TIA
DLM

gr8tfly
Oct 9, 2010, 09:08 PM
Some are "Universal", marked with a "+", and will work properly on either iPad or iPod Touch. Other developers go with separate versions ("HD" or "for iPad"), which must be purchased separately.

Tom G.
Oct 9, 2010, 09:09 PM
The ones that can will. I have many of the same apps on my iPad that I have on my iPhone 4. If the developer has written an iPad version of the iPhone app then it will appear correctly on the iPad. If not then it will appear as a iPhone app and there will be a small button in the lower right hand corner that you hit to make it full screen. However, when you do this you loose a lot in the clarity of the screen because you are doubling the size of the pixels.

You can also choose not to allow those iPhone or iTouch apps to appear on the iPad if you wish, by just not allowing them to sync.

xraydoc
Oct 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have a touch and I know I can download aps in my iTune account to an iPad if I buy one, but will they upgrade to the iPad version for free?

If so, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

TIA
DLM

Some will. It's up to the author.

Consultant
Oct 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
Some have universal apps (aka upgrade for free). Some have separate versions with separate price. You can use your current app at x2 mode.

Apple should have an option for "upgrade" pricing. Write to: apple.com/feedback

Lostanddamned
Oct 10, 2010, 01:08 PM
More and more apps are moving to the universal format. When the iPad first released I had around 17 apps, and of those, maybe one was universal (iBooks), but now I have 21 apps (a few free games) and 9 of those are universal. There are some absolute failures in terms of what should be universal (facebook, windows live, the guardian), but others are very much phone linked or require a camera (my O2, shazam, redlaser) such that a universal version would be a waste of time.

Don Kosak
Oct 10, 2010, 02:23 PM
All of your apps should work -- except those that need a Camera, or GPS. (GPS will work on iPad with 3G, but not WiFi only iPad)

If they are Universal apps, they'll have an iPad optimized UI with extra features, etc.

If they are standard apps, they will appear with a little (1x/2x) button in the corner, and you can zoom them to fill the screen. The UI will be the same as on your iPod Touch. Most games look great even in this mode. (Angry Birds, GeoDefense, etc.)

There are a lot of Universal Apps now, and more are being added all the time. There are 3 basic reasons:

1) The iPad is selling really well, so developers want to cash in on that growth.

2) With iPhone 4 Retina Display, all of the graphic assets need to be roughly the same size as the iPad. This means developers can create one set of high res graphics for both devices.

3) It is getting easier and easier to make a universal App. After the operating systems merge in November (everyone will be at iOS 4.2) you'll see even more Apps come out that way.

thebleeptruth
Oct 20, 2010, 11:16 PM
For apps that were initially released as non-universal apps, if you are lucky, the developer would update the app into a universal app. And yes, these updates are free. It actually always pleases me when every now and then some of the iPhone/iPod Touch apps I have on my iPad get an update to make it universal. No more 2X and much better graphics. :D

dmunz
Oct 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
Well i Picked up the iPad (64g + 3g) and things went pretty much as expected with a couple of surprises.

The Good (=free upgrade):
Stanza
NewsTap
Docs to Go
Frotz
F1 Timing

The Bad (=more money):
Word Power
Informant

I was pleasantly surprised by F1 Timing and Docs to Go. NewsTap works much better in the larger format and Frotz is just cool (yes, I'm very old...)

I didn't give Word Power much thought until I started poking around and it is a little pricey, but I really like it. I have not re-bought Informant yet as I don't how much I'll really use it over my BlackBerry anyway.

FWIW
DLM