Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelidstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I don't know much about macbooks, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a hook up, or cable that I can buy to hook my macbook up to my TV to watch videos and movies?
Thanks!

jelidstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
like I said I know nothing about macbooks/laptops, so obviously i wouldn't know to do that...you were a great help. thanks

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Come on people, give the OP a break. Haven't you met or know people that just don't get tech? They use it, but they don't understand it. If you're going to post to a thread at least try to be helpful.

bluedogz

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Havre de Grace, MD
I had the same questions some time ago...

Your MB should have a mini-DV out; Apple sells DV-VGA and DV-HDMI adaptors at the Apple store and on their website. Then you'll just need a matching cable to connect from the adaptor to your TV.

Of course, we STILL need to know what connection your TV has. It should be labelled in some way on the back of your TV.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I had the same questions some time ago...

Your MB should have a mini-DV out; Apple sells DV-VGA and DV-HDMI adaptors at the Apple store and on their website. Then you'll just need a matching cable to connect from the adaptor to your TV.

Of course, we STILL need to know what connection your TV has. It should be labelled in some way on the back of your TV.

If it's a late 09 unibody Macbook, it will have a mini Displayport instead of mini DVI.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

There are MacBooks with a tape output?! How does that work?! :rolleyes:

(for those not getting it, mini-DV is a tape medium for recording digital video)

The OP's MacBook should have, as others have said, mini-DisplayPort. You'll likely want a MDP to HDMI or VGA depending on what connection the TV has. If it has neither of those, just component or composite, you'll have to see if Apple sells adaptors for those.

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
Miles was just being a jerk for no reason. You provided enough information, you said you had a "late 09 MacBook", which is the more modern Unibody redesign with the clickable multitouch track pad, and comes equipped with a mini display port. Depending on whether your TV has HDMI, VGA or both, you will need to get a mini display port to either HDMI or VGA. Supposedly the late 09 MacBook's don't support sound, so you will also have to pick up some additional hardware that shouldn't cost more than $20 to get you audio. Not sure if you have resolved the issue yet or not, but if not let me know and I'll gladly help you out. Not everyone on here is rude and obnoxious, so don't be shy or discouraged by the many rude people on this site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.