Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Just purchased Adobe CS5 for my wife's new photography business she is Re-Starting after out kids finally got big enough, and time is available again.

Will this run photoshop well?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC511LL/A?mco=MTkwMzU2MjI

She says she ran CS3 with much less four years ago, but I dont know how much more processing power and RAM requirements CS5 has packed into it. Also, we have the iMac in my signature we could use as well....

Your thoughts are appreciated.
thanks,
trout

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
She says she ran CS3 with much less four years ago, but I dont know how much more processing power and RAM requirements CS5 has packed into it.

These day, to run things smoothly with CS5, 4Gb of RAM is at the low end of what I'd recommend to others, particularly if they're working on photography; large layered files, possibly 16 bit images etc. Photoshop and some of the other CS apps have specific settings in preferences to maximise their performance on different setups, so it might be worth taking a look through those before thinking of splashing out on more RAM. See how the machine is working under a typical workload, see whether it's smooth switching between apps and the like, even just zooming into images.

One final thing: especially as it's a business, it's good to also budget for a backup solution in case of disk problems, accidents etc. My setup includes a cloned drive, backed up twice a day; if the main drive stopped working, I could be up and running again with minimal loss within a couple of minutes.

Also, for Photoshop performance, check out:

http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/files/scottbyer/PSWorldPerformancePresentation_Expanded.pdf

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
These day, to run things smoothly with CS5, 4Gb of RAM is at the low end of what I'd recommend to others, particularly if they're working on photography; large layered files, possibly 16 bit images etc. Photoshop and some of the other CS apps have specific settings in preferences to maximise their performance on different setups, so it might be worth taking a look through those before thinking of splashing out on more RAM. See how the machine is working under a typical workload, see whether it's smooth switching between apps and the like, even just zooming into images.

One final thing: especially as it's a business, it's good to also budget for a backup solution in case of disk problems, accidents etc. My setup includes a cloned drive, backed up twice a day; if the main drive stopped working, I could be up and running again with minimal loss within a couple of minutes.

Also, for Photoshop performance, check out:

http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/files/scottbyer/PSWorldPerformancePresentation_Expanded.pdf

Thank you! We did purchase a 1TB external back-up drive to save copies too and back-up from. I tell you what, between the softbox's, lights, Canon 7d, lenses, backdrops, website, advertising, etc. The computer is the cheapest thing so far :eek: !

trout

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thank you! We did purchase a 1TB external back-up drive to save copies too and back-up from. I tell you what, between the softbox's, lights, Canon 7d, lenses, backdrops, website, advertising, etc. The computer is the cheapest thing so far :eek: !

trout

Do not consider an external disk on the same site (especially if it's left connected to/beside the computer) as a backup. Get a second disk and keep it offsite (at home say). Rotate then every couple of weeks or every month. That way if someone robs the premises or it burns down you don't lose your backup along with the primary data.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I tell you what, between the softbox's, lights, Canon 7d, lenses, backdrops, website, advertising, etc. The computer is the cheapest thing so far :eek: !

I can imagine. A colour calibrator will also be useful, maybe a Spyder 3. For archival media, I like this article which gets updated from time to time. All the best for your new venture. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I can imagine. A colour calibrator will also be useful, maybe a Spyder 3. For archival media, I like this article which gets updated from time to time. All the best for your new venture. :)

Spyder 3's are great pieces of kit. I even calibrated my TV (as it runs via a Mac) using mine! As the OP has an EOS 7D (great camera :)) they might also want to consider a Spyder LensCal which aids with lens micro-focus correction which the 7D supports.

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Spyder 3's are great pieces of kit. I even calibrated my TV (as it runs via a Mac) using mine! As the OP has an EOS 7D (great camera :)) they might also want to consider a Spyder LensCal which aids with lens micro-focus correction which the 7D supports.

Wow! thanks for the input and advise, I will absolutely look at both of those. The hope is if she can get to where she was before the kids, then I could maybe join her and finally leave corporate America and finally have freedom! lol!

any other suggestions are welcome.

trout

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.