Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I've got a bunch of low resolution scans of film negatives and now I have the opportunity to use a nice high-end scanner through school so I can get some really nice crazy high resolution scans. So I'd like to rescan my older negatives but I don't want to have to scan them in and have Aperture treat them as new photos.

So my question is, is there anyway to import photos and have them overwrite the original master photo and keep the adjustments and metadata as well as any albums that they're in. I'd prefer not to have to import, copy the metadta, and then delete the original photo. Any ideas on how to do this?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I've RH clicked and copy adjustments to other images and pasted those, that should suffice for your PP. Not sure on the complete metadata lift/apply or not.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
If you scan then I assume you are saving the file in JPEG format. Couldn't you upload the file into Finder rather than the Aperture Library and use it as a referenced file? You could then either copy the master and move it into the aperture library or re-upload it in the Aperture library that way you have two masters-one to play with and one not to? Just label/name then slightly differently so that you could tell them apart. I am not sure this would work but it is something to research and consider.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
So it's kind of looking like there is no way to automatically replace the masters and that I'll just have to copy the metadata and adjustments. Thanks for you help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.