Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Looks good, now get rid of the faux vignetting. With the right lenses you can get cool vignetting if you want but that fake post one ruins the video for me. Stuck out like a sore thumb when I should have been paying attention to the shallow DOF and the cute little kid :D

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Looks good, now get rid of the faux vignetting. With the right lenses you can get cool vignetting if you want but that fake post one ruins the video for me. Stuck out like a sore thumb when I should have been paying attention to the shallow DOF and the cute little kid :D

Yeah, sorry. You're right. All part of the learning process. I remember almost 15 years ago when I got my hands on Photoshop, I practically LENS FLARED everything LOL!!!

Thanks for the tip. In my defence, it comes from watching too much Top Gear. They vignette practically everything!!! :)

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah, sorry. You're right. All part of the learning process. I remember almost 15 years ago when I got my hands on Photoshop, I practically LENS FLARED everything LOL!!!

Thanks for the tip. In my defence, it comes from watching too much Top Gear. They vignette practically everything!!! :)

haha! That show "grinds my gears" for that very reason. And sorry to point that out because it was a cute little video of a cute little child. I just notice that stuff since I do it for a living. Now go out and shoot more, because you obviously have the camera skills that many budding videogs don't. :)

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I like it

I like it! I also am rather partial to vignetting! I add a tad to most of my photos, and when I start shooting video I will probably add a bit to that as well!

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
On the subject of the vignetting: the problem is that it has nothing to do with what's going on in the video. Much like a narrow depth of field, usually you'd use it to guide the viewer's focus, but here the centre of the vignette is always the centre of the frame, which makes it often conspicuous and awkward.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
No complaints from me. I've been asked to do other baby videos since doing that one. And I promise, NO VIGNETTE :-D

FroColin

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I actually quite liked the vignetting in a few of the shots, in others it was a bit distracting. I would say don't get rid of it completely, just use it when you think it needs it, and try not to make it obvious, Don't think Top Gear, there vignettes are WAY too drastic (Although I don't mind cause the show is awesome). Vignettes should be used as a tool, they should help direct the viewers attention as KeithPratt said.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
@frocolin - In the type of video I just showed, I don't think it makes sense to sometimes do a vignette. I believe it's a case of always or never in a video.

By posting the video online it has revealed to me I still have much to learn and still making noob mistakes. That's not to say vignettes are pointless, but I will use it subtly from now on.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
I think the video looks very good, and I don't mind the slight vignetting at all! If I could offer one suggestion, it would be to smooth out the occasional camera shake by using lens image stabilization (if it isn't used already), in software via FCP, or by using a Steadicam motion stabilizer. The Steadicam is unwieldy compared to hand-holding but it produces butter smooth video (it was used in The Shining for the hallway scenes). Here is a website that shows how to build a DIY Steadicam for $14.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
@jabbott. Your comments are fair. There is some camera shake. I was flat on a sofa with some of those shots and I wasn't in a great position to hold it still. I understand a steadicam system can make things smoother but I have to stop buying equipment at some point. However, it is on my shopping list. :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The video looks really good but, my god, that is one of the ugliest babies I have ever seen.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
What was the song used? Sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Nice plug for the iPhone by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.