Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aonflux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
I put my:apple:tv to sleep, but the white light keeps going on and off.

citizenal

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2010
Did not know that I could just hold down the play pause button. :eek: I always just go to settings and shut down. Good to know. :cool:

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Press and hold the 'play' button while on the main menu page.

It's actually the center round button, not the play button. And I think you may have to be on the main menu for it to work. You can also go into settings and there is an option at the bottom of the list that says "Sleep Now." Plus, there is a setting to have it automatically go to sleep after an adjustable amount of time.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I don't get it. Why turn it off or sleep it at all? The new Apple TV only uses 6 watts MAX. In real world situations it's less than that. For instance, it uses less than 2 watts while playing a Netflix video. When on and idle (not sleep), it uses less than 1 watt.

To put this in perspective, the typical cable/satellite DVR uses about 30 watts when turned off.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It turns off when it detects that the monitor attached via HDMI is no longer receiving signal. Turn off your TV or switch TV inputs and it shuts down.

But at 5 watts, what's the issue?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Oh and just to clarify, the reason cable/satellite DVRs use 30 watts or so even when "turned off" is because they are never really fully off when you turn them off. They are actually in standby/sleep mode because they need to be on to be able to record at anytime.

So 30 watts when sleep and/or doing nothing for a DVR compared to less than 1 watt when doing nothing for an Apple TV tells me that almost no one should be concerned with sleeping the Apple TV.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
Apple kindly supplied some black tape with your AppleTV. Snip out a bit of tape, apply it to the LED and bob's your aunt. No more night time annoyances.

LED off option in the menu please, Apple, It's kind of implied that it's on when, you know, I'm watching something on it. And the rest of the time I really don't care.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I don't get it. Why turn it off or sleep it at all? The new Apple TV only uses 6 watts MAX. In real world situations it's less than that. For instance, it uses less than 2 watts while playing a Netflix video. When on and idle (not sleep), it uses less than 1 watt.

In my experiments, I think idle used 1.2W or so, while sleep drew .8W. I'm all for energy efficiency and every little bit helps.

The Apple TV instruction manual describes what blinking lights mean and apparently "flashing quickly" means "having problems". Flashes can mean other things like "accepting a command", but my Apple TV light doesn't seem to come on right now with the unit in standby.

My advice would be to call AppleCare since you get 90 days worth of complimentary phone support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.