Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
My new AppleTV came so while it works great with HDMI in my bed room HD TV my parents living room is still SD but 100hz or some crap anyhow is there a way to get the AppleTV from HDMI to RCA? Red White Yellow

cwaddell2002

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
My new AppleTV came so while it works great with HDMI in my bed room HD TV my parents living room is still SD but 100hz or some crap anyhow is there a way to get the AppleTV from HDMI to RCA? Red White Yellow

The short answer is No. The long answer is maybe, but the converter box and associated junk necessary to do it would cost more than the appletv itself. Tell your parents to get a new tv.... sorry.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Not to worry. Assisted living facilities all have HDTV's now.

BJ

Posted from my iPad 3G/64GB/$729

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
You've also got to remember that any convertor has to be fully HDCP compliant otherwise it wont work with protected content from the iTunes store.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Whats funny is we got that tv 3 months before the first hd tv came out here in 05

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Buy a First Generation

eBay will probably be full of first generation AppleTV's.
Buy on of those. They have RCA ports

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Component video (RGB) is not the same as Composite (Red, white, yellow). Be sure your TV has component inputs before you buy a 1st gen Apple TV.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
im thinking apple will come out with an adapter at some point. think about the ipad/iphone video cables. they come in composite as well as component. so the device is definitely capable of outputting analog video.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
im thinking apple will come out with an adapter at some point. think about the ipad/iphone video cables. they come in composite as well as component. so the device is definitely capable of outputting analog video.
Um, no. iPad and iPhones have dock connector, which carries analog audio and video signals. HDMI, on the other hand, is digital only. Although it can be done, it isn't cost effective to convert HDMI to analog video and audio. I doubt Apple will introduce $99+ adapter to go along with $99 Apple TV.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Um, no. iPad and iPhones have dock connector, which carries analog audio and video signals. HDMI, on the other hand, is digital only. Although it can be done, it isn't cost effective to convert HDMI to analog video and audio. I doubt Apple will introduce $99+ adapter to go along with $99 Apple TV.

Lol--since that is the price of the one I saw on Amzaon, I would guess an Apple converter would be about $500. :rolleyes:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Whats funny is we got that tv 3 months before the first hd tv came out here in 05

I got my HDTV in 2004 and it was being End of Life'd at the time and a new model coming out to replace it. Pray tell how a year later you bought a TV 3 months before the first HD TV was released?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

you dont think the micro usb is essentially the same thing as the dock connector? They will be switching the iphone to micro usb in some countries by law so you dont think their testing this with the apple tv? its definately doable over micro usb whether apple does it or not is anyones guess.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
you dont think the micro usb is essentially the same thing as the dock connector? They will be switching the iphone to micro usb in some countries by law so you dont think their testing this with the apple tv? its definately doable over micro usb whether apple does it or not is anyones guess.
USB is digital, not analog. Apple will need to create a USB to analog video converter box, along with a firmware update to send video over USB, to accomplish this.

The dock connector, on the other hand, is a hybrid carrier of both analog and digital signals.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
They will be switching the iphone to micro usb in some countries by law so you dont think their testing this with the apple tv?

No switch will occur. Perhaps, at most, the addition of a power-only Micro USB port, but more likely just a bundled dock to micro USB adaptor.

They didn't put a dock connector on the AppleTV for two reasons:

It's too big.

99.9% of dock connector accessories would neither fit nor work.

The Micro USB definitely does not, and will not, carry an analogue output.

Christmas is coming, time to buy your folks a TV made this century.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I got my HDTV in 2004 and it was being End of Life'd at the time and a new model coming out to replace it. Pray tell how a year later you bought a TV 3 months before the first HD TV was released?
And you lived in ireland and it was 48 inches at 100Hz?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.