PDA

View Full Version : Facebook app for iPad?

batmanlax
Oct 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Anyone know when Facebook is due to launch an app for the iPad?

Thanks!

Evo-L
Oct 11, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have the friendly facebook app, its pretty cool. Its only 99c so its not too much of a commitment.

steezy1337
Oct 11, 2010, 07:32 PM
if you're jailbroken using the official iphone facebook app along with FullForce from cydia is pretty good, shame there's no push for chat included but that's what IM+ is for :)

FamiliaPhoto
Oct 11, 2010, 08:02 PM
Friendly and Social seem to be the two big apps for the iPad. I use Friendly and it's fine but I like the free iPhone app better.

citi
Oct 13, 2010, 12:32 PM
Friendly and Social seem to be the two big apps for the iPad. I use Friendly and it's fine but I like the free iPhone app better.

Social is by far the best and the developer updates consistenly, and his updates actually bring things to the table. Social will bring new life into "The Facebook"

Mr Kram
Oct 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
i use friendly on the ipad and facebook on the iphone.

thebleeptruth
Oct 20, 2010, 11:10 PM
Absolutely no idea also why Facebook hasn't released an iPad app. I think they thought initially that opening it up on Safari would satisfy most users. I actually would want an iPad-optimized Facebook app similar to how they optimized one for the iPhone/iPod Touch. Haven't really tried the other 3rd party apps that people have mentioned here, but I think the Twitter universal app has a pretty nice format for the iPad. Facebook should really follow suit. On a more personal note, it would be great to have a "via Facebook for iPad" tag along with my posts that people can see. LOL

Coolio107
Oct 21, 2010, 03:32 AM
Absolutely no idea also why Facebook hasn't released an iPad app.

Maybe because the developer who did the iPhone facebook App left a while ago?

dwd3885
Oct 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
why do you need a facebook app? Just go to the webpage. This reliance on apps instead of the web is puzzling to me sometimes.

GoKyu
Oct 21, 2010, 02:42 PM
There's no good reason to have an app for Facebook on the iPad. You can do 99% of what you want to do on the website through a browser (chat being a notable exception.)

I downloaded Friendly, and it's nice and all, but I find the real website more familiar and just as easy to use.

Razeus
Oct 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
There's no good reason to have an app for Facebook on the iPad. You can do 99% of what you want to do on the website through a browser (chat being a notable exception.)

I downloaded Friendly, and it's nice and all, but I find the real website more familiar and just as easy to use.

I would like to be able to upload photos from my Photo Library app to FB on my iPad. Give me that and Chat in the app and I'm good to go.

Coolio107
Oct 22, 2010, 03:30 AM

Probably a question of what you are used to but I generally find the web site more confusing than the various apps. Especially since it tends to show nun-reproducible content and you can't come back to where you were.

AAPLaday
Oct 22, 2010, 03:36 AM
+1 for Friendly Facebook

Cheap price and looks great too. Oh and chat feature is good to have

DivtyaBudhlya
Oct 22, 2010, 05:19 AM
I'm surprised the Echofon guys released Echofon for Facebook (http://itunes.apple.com/app/echofon-for-facebook/id337779056?mt=8) for iPhone but not for iPad. Wouldn't releasing it for iPad fill the void better?

Sarah Hastings
Oct 22, 2010, 06:38 AM
I like to go for friendly and I would recommend it to everyone, itís nice and friendly.

goldsmithj28
Oct 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
can't believe its not out yet!

finalcut
Oct 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
Social really looks nice to play with. for 2$ I think I'll buy it

petvas
Oct 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
I have both iPad apps and I am not very satisfied. I prefer accessing Facebook through Safari. It works better. At least I can access my groups, something that Social and Friendly do not offer. Actually both apps look like they are using touch.facebook.com
Same interface, same functionality.

I wish a better client comes in the near future.

ScottNWDW
Oct 26, 2010, 09:26 PM
Just access facebook through the browser. What is so hard about that? I agree with the earlier poater that wondered why the reliance on an app. On the iPad accessing the actual Facebook site is far better. One of the key benefits of the iPad is the fact that it is a great tool for accessing the web.

Laimbeersux
Oct 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
I would like to be able to upload photos from my Photo Library app to FB on my iPad. Give me that and Chat in the app and I'm good to go.

I use the Friendly App for 99.9% of my FB experience on the iPad, but for just the photo uploading I leave the facebook for iphone/ipod installed.

AAPLaday
Oct 29, 2010, 02:47 AM
The friendly Facebook app now supports photo uploads :) and the web browser for Facebook within the app seems faster too now

Coolio107
Nov 1, 2010, 08:31 AM
I find friendly very cumbersome in the current release.
It annoys me to hell that I have to first select the account when I start the App, no quick look at my wall.
Especially since logging in at that point seems to fail every 2nd time or so and I have to wait and retry.
Needs another update before I use it again.

rayward
Nov 1, 2010, 11:58 AM
I, too, bought Friendly in lieu of an official Facebook app. I liked Friendly, but they've just released 3.0 and it's buggy as hell. Plus, despite claiming faster login, it adds an extra step due to multiple account support.

They need to:

1) Fix it so that it does actually login, instead of hanging; and

2) Make the multiple account login screen optional.

AAPLaday
Nov 1, 2010, 02:20 PM
2) Make the multiple account login screen optional.

Considering i only have one account on it i think its strange that i have to click on my profile in order to log in. Surely its better to automatically login for users with only one account set up :o

JulianL
Nov 1, 2010, 02:44 PM
Considering i only have one account on it i think its strange that i have to click on my profile in order to log in. Surely its better to automatically login for users with only one account set up :o
I plan to email them about this and I hope that mine will be one of hundreds or thousands of such emails. With only one account, this new login screen is quite a big drop in usability for me. I just want to be able to tap the app icon and be straight into the news feed like I had before. Surely they must be getting so much negative feedback on this new setup that they will make it optional very soon.

- Julian

txa1265
Nov 3, 2010, 01:57 PM
They were asked about it today at their 'mobile' event. Zuckerberg's reply? The iPad is not mobile.

That was his answer to when the iPad app was coming.

petvas
Nov 3, 2010, 01:59 PM
They were asked about it today at their 'mobile' event. Zuckerberg's reply? The iPad is not mobile.

That was his answer to when the iPad app was coming.

So we can safely assume that Facebook won't bring an iPad app.

budman1961
Nov 3, 2010, 02:03 PM
So we can safely assume that Facebook won't bring an iPad app.

No, IMHO, this conference was for smart phones. He didnt say no, he said it didnt apply to this particular event.

bozzykid
Nov 4, 2010, 09:32 AM
No, IMHO, this conference was for smart phones. He didnt say no, he said it didnt apply to this particular event.

He said they wouldn't focus on an iPad app when there are other tablets coming to the market. Most likely you will see a web based version for tablets before you see a iPad specific app.

ScottNWDW
Nov 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
I don't understand this constant badgering about a facebook app for the iPad. The iPad is a perfect device for browsing the web and you can view the full website right on the iPad through Safari or one of the other browsers that became available.

One of the main features of the iPad was the fact that you could view web pages in full size, not a mobile version of the site. Facebook works just great for me on my iPad, a facebook app would be useless in my opinion. Viewing the web at full size was one of the key features when the iPad was announced and demonstrated at the keynote Steve Jobs gave when announcing, or did everyone forget that.

The smaller size of a cell phone like the iPhone and Androids make using the web to access facebook harder because the screens are a lot smaller. Therefore, a facebook app makes more sense with the smaller form factor.

What next, I suppose you would also like a PC or Mac specific version as well.

Coolio107
Nov 4, 2010, 10:55 AM
As I said before: I don't like the web site. Not on iPad and not on my Computer.
That's why I want an iPad App for FB.

bozzykid
Nov 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
I don't understand this constant badgering about a facebook app for the iPad. The iPad is a perfect device for browsing the web and you can view the full website right on the iPad through Safari or one of the other browsers that became available.

One of the main features of the iPad was the fact that you could view web pages in full size, not a mobile version of the site. Facebook works just great for me on my iPad, a facebook app would be useless in my opinion. Viewing the web at full size was one of the key features when the iPad was announced and demonstrated at the keynote Steve Jobs gave when announcing, or did everyone forget that.

The smaller size of a cell phone like the iPhone and Androids make using the web to access facebook harder because the screens are a lot smaller. Therefore, a facebook app makes more sense with the smaller form factor.

What next, I suppose you would also like a PC or Mac specific version as well.

The website isn't designed for touch though. I'm guessing FB is going to put some resources into designing a site specifically for these tablet devices. They basically hinted at that yesterday and it makes a lot of sense. As of now the FB website works on the iPad but the experience is not that great (it doesn't even support chat).

Rocs
Nov 5, 2010, 03:38 PM
Try the app "Social". I find it to be pretty good for iPad facebook interface.

LegendKillerUK
Nov 7, 2010, 09:47 PM
I just use the iPhone app, only blowing it up to 2x to type. It's not pretty but it contains all the facebook functionality I need.

arnop
Nov 8, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have both iPad apps and I am not very satisfied. I prefer accessing Facebook through Safari. It works better. At least I can access my groups, something that Social and Friendly do not offer. Actually both apps look like they are using touch.facebook.com
Same interface, same functionality.

I wish a better client comes in the near future.

Absolutely ! And I can't manage my Ads on the iPad app

shandyman
Nov 8, 2010, 02:09 PM
i use the web interface for facebook added to my home page so i get a nice facebook button, all runs great, i run the chat thru Beejive, so much easier using that for all my IM's, the only thing is uploading photos, but since i take all my pics from my iphone 4, i upload from that, or from my pc...

David085
Nov 9, 2010, 09:40 PM
would be nice if fb comes to iPad

Shoechick
Dec 17, 2010, 11:51 AM
I just use the iPhone app, only blowing it up to 2x to type. It's not pretty but it contains all the facebook functionality I need.

This is what I do to. No idea why you'd want a separate Ipad app.

txa1265
Dec 17, 2010, 12:15 PM
This is what I do to. No idea why you'd want a separate Ipad app.

You mean that the iPhone app at 2x is no longer universally recognized as one of the most FUGLY upscaled things ever made?

Shoechick
Dec 17, 2010, 01:19 PM
You mean that the iPhone app at 2x is no longer universally recognized as one of the most FUGLY upscaled things ever made?

It's not pretty, but it does the job.