PDA

View Full Version : When to sell iPad?

scar88
Oct 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
Before people make misconceptions I love my iPad, and I am certain to buy the 2g one. I just wanted to know when you guys think it's a decent time to put the current one on sale without it losing to much of it's value? I'm thinking jan? Before the keynote for the 2nd gen.

champ01
Oct 11, 2010, 01:41 PM
Sell it now and I'll give you 50,- for it :D

poloponies
Oct 11, 2010, 01:43 PM
There's not going to be a "keynote" for a next gen iPad. It's out there, people know what it does. Apple will not repeat 2010 and make an announcement 3 months before products are available, otherwise nobody will buy the current generation. If a new version comes out in March/April, they'll announce it just before it ships.

flopticalcube
Oct 11, 2010, 01:44 PM
Wait for the rumors to build.

Nugget
Oct 11, 2010, 01:47 PM
If you're not really enjoying or getting good utility from your current iPad why do you want to buy the next one?

oli356
Oct 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
If you're not really enjoying or getting good utility from your current iPad why do you want to buy the next one?
He is though, read again

bossxii
Oct 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
I've resold several iPads and consistently get within $50 bucks of new retail. I'm sure I'll upgrade if it has some compelling features to do so, but not really worried about resell. Even if I sell it for $150 under new after a year of use that's cheap as he'll to rent anything. I've bought and sold several matchbooks, iMac's and iPads and have always been amazed how well they resell. I wouldn't lose much sleep over selling a 1st gen iPad. Some is always looking for a bargain.

barkomatic
Oct 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
I think selling your iPad just before the holidays would be strategic and get you the most money. At that point the next generation iPad shouldn't be far off.

barkomatic
Oct 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
I've bought and sold several matchbooks,

Wow, I didn't matchbooks held their value that well--are they vintage?

Sorry, couldn't resist. har har.

Scuby
Oct 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
If yiu're happy to spend $600 or whatever on an iPad in the first place, and you say you like it so presumably do actually use it regularly, why sell it 3-4 mons before its replacement (which may offer nothing interesting as an upgrade) just to save $50?

Keep it, enjoy it, and when it's replaced it'll maybe end up having cost you $150 in depreciation. But at least you've then had a year to enjoy it.

Incidentally, i've never noticed a sharp drop in the price of things like iPhones when they've been replaced. Sure, there's a lot more of them, but the price never seems much lower than secind hand ones have been selling for months before.

David

prot0type
Oct 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
I agree with what's been said already about selling around the holidays, that'll probably be the best time. After that, obviously any time before an official announcement is made.

Nugget
Oct 11, 2010, 02:01 PM
He is though, read again

If he was he wouldn't be willing to live without an iPad for several months just to make a few more dollars on a sale.

leomac08
Oct 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
the best time to sell would be december 24 or black friday!!! ohh yeah!:D

Crash613
Oct 11, 2010, 02:09 PM
I've resold several iPads and consistently get within $50 bucks of new retail

Several ipads? They have only been out for a few months. Why have u gone thru several?

7thMac
Oct 11, 2010, 02:11 PM
Now is a good time to sell. People are paying very close to list price for used models. But it looks like production capacity has ramped up. When the scarcity of the past eases the price will drop a bit.

darngooddesign
Oct 11, 2010, 02:32 PM
There's not going to be a "keynote" for a next gen iPad. It's out there, people know what it does. Apple will not repeat 2010 and make an announcement 3 months before products are available, otherwise nobody will buy the current generation. If a new version comes out in March/April, they'll announce it just before it ships.
People knew what the 3G iPhone was and there was a keynote for the 3GS. There will always be a keynote but assuming no one forgets the new iPad in public the keynote will happen when Apple wants it to happen.

Several ipads? They have only been out for a few months. Why have u gone thru several?
Maybe he's addicted to the new gadget smell.

poloponies
Oct 11, 2010, 02:45 PM
Now is a good time to sell. People are paying very close to list price for used models. But it looks like production capacity has ramped up. When the scarcity of the past eases the price will drop a bit.

There are ample supplies available now. Otherwise you wouldn't see any at Target and Amazon. You can walk into an Apple store and pick one up.

scar88
Oct 11, 2010, 02:50 PM
If he was he wouldn't be willing to live without an iPad for several months just to make a few more dollars on a sale.

I must admit it would be weird being without my iPad, but I want to buy a mac mini or iMac so would need to sell and get a decent price

Syk
Oct 11, 2010, 03:10 PM
If that's the case now is the time to sell. You need the money to finance a purchase for something else.

Others have stated already that Target,Walmart, BestBuy & Amazon will being selling them and don't forget Apple. The supply seems to up to support demand. Also Apple is selling refurbs now so depending on which model you have you'll have to price accordingly.

If you have the basic 16GB you may have to price it under $450 which is the price of a refurb and you also get the 1yr warranty with that. Taxes may be what saves you though...

Q-Dog
Oct 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
Since all of the electronics I buy are investments, I plan on keeping mine along with all of the original packaging, and I'll sell it in about 10 years for a huge profit. I'm gonna be rich!

PowerGamerX
Oct 11, 2010, 04:31 PM
As much as I like to use stuff, sell it for the most money, then upgrade to something newer. I'd just suggest waiting until you see them announce it.

scar88
Oct 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
cheers guys, ive got the 32gig ipad, if i can get around 400 when the new ones annouced ill be happy.

sapporobaby
Oct 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
I think selling your iPad just before the holidays would be strategic and get you the most money. At that point the next generation iPad shouldn't be far off.

Yeah, only three or four months away. Why buy one in the first place if you are too busy watching the calendar to enjoy it?

HappyDude20
Oct 11, 2010, 08:36 PM
Ipad came out in april. The next gen will determine the month new ipads will come out every year. It won't be january considering its immediately after the holidays. Feb or march are a mayhbe. While by april it'll def. Be out. I plan on selling my ipad in february

Blakjack
Oct 11, 2010, 08:38 PM
A month ahead of new release and prepare to pay two hundred dollar difference. Don't expect a new release until April/May.

bossxii
Oct 12, 2010, 09:08 AM
Wow, I didn't matchbooks held their value that well--are they vintage?

Sorry, couldn't resist. har har.

LOL, gotta love typo's! But yes if I had some vintage matchbooks I would sell them too!

bossxii
Oct 12, 2010, 09:18 AM

Oops, should have multi quoted... But anyhow to answer your question. I purchased the wifi version at launch, the upgraded to a 3G model. I have also bought and sold 5 or 6 off craigslist. Lots of people that may have had an impulse buy on an iPad then realize it not for them sell them cheap, $100 to $200 off retail. I buy up the cheap ones and realist them for just under retail. I've more than paid for my current iPad, case and accessories from reselling Apple products on CL. Just need to have a little patience and watch for the good deals. :)

snook911
Oct 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
My idea, even if jailbreaking is not for you, would be to jailbreak your iPad right before you sell it. Jailbreaking it first will add a little value to it and you could wait longer to sell it. You might even to able to sell it for close to what a new un jailbroken ipad 2 will go for. Just a thought.

rowspaxe
Oct 12, 2010, 07:22 PM
who would buy a used ipad for $50 below retail? Generally, %60 of retail would be my ceiling for buying a used product-- a used ipad for $250-300 u.s. seems like a fair deal. You would think the registration and guarantee would be worth a $100--that said, i don't know if the guarantee is transferable--but thats work as well--so I'm back at $250-300. I bought the lowest end ipad as I expect the next gen will be significantly improved and i will be upgrading. Its been the best $600 (aud) i've spent in a while...

WilliamG
Oct 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
who would buy a used ipad for $50 below retail? Generally, %60 of retail would be my ceiling for buying a used product-- a used ipad for $250-300 u.s. seems like a fair deal. You would think the registration and guarantee would be worth a $100--that said, i don't know if the guarantee is transferable--but thats work as well--so I'm back at $250-300. I bought the lowest end ipad as I expect the next gen will be significantly improved and i will be upgrading. Its been the best $600 (aud) i've spent in a while...

60% of retail? Are you kidding me? Used iPads are going to command a heck of a lot more than that, even when iPad 2 comes out.

Pinger
Oct 13, 2010, 09:01 AM
60% of retail? Are you kidding me? Used iPads are going to command a heck of a lot more than that, even when iPad 2 comes out.

I agree...
iPhones and iPods on eBay are good examples, just take a look at what a used iPhone or iPod is getting there, obviously keeping them in pristine condition is a big factor(something which my iPhones & iPads are always when I know I will be upgrading in the near future)
I figure a few weeks before the release of the 2nd gen. iPad comes out I will sell this for $390-$420..
I love this iPad but let's face it if you follow Apple's history the next generation releases will start with 32gb as it's base for probably $499, doubling my memory plus all the other improvements that it will have makes it well worth spending another $100-$125 for wouldn't you say??
This one incredible device and it's only going to bet better.

bowlerman625
Oct 13, 2010, 06:54 PM
You should just sell it now to get the highest price.