Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glanglemutton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Just wanted some input on this. There is a Power Mac G5 Quad Core for sale locally (seller is legit) and I'm wondering how much I should pay for it. Specs:

Quad Core 2.5 GHZ
4GB RAM
250GB hard drive

He's asking $600. I'd basically be using this as an internet machine at home. This machine may be overkill for that purpose, but I'm currently on a 1.8 dual core G5, and there are certain things on the internet that it can't keep up with, like high-def videos. I just want something that can handle anything the internet has to throw at it, with room to spare. And yeah, I'll be stuck on Leopard and limited to whatever software it can run, which is fine, I don't need the latest of everything.

Looking forward to your opinions. Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
For 700 USD you can get this Mac mini, which is capable of playing HD Flash video and running the latest software and not using as much power as a tower.

You can also take a look at the Refurbished Store for better prices.

Though the Mac mini lacks upgradeability except with RAM, but additional HDD space can be remedied via an external USB or Firewire HDD.

glanglemutton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
For 700 USD you can get this Mac mini, which is capable of playing HD Flash video and running the latest software and not using as much power as a tower.

So basically the duo core 2.4 intel is just as fast? Sorry for the dumb question, but I just never did figure out the difference between the new chips and the old, and once you get into multiple cores, the math is too much for me.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So basically the duo core 2.4 intel is just as fast? Sorry for the dumb question, but I just never did figure out the difference between the new chips and the old, and once you get into multiple cores, the math is too much for me.

If one would take these generic benchmarks into account, then "yes" (although they are just on par):

wbwizo.png

If you basically use the Mac for browsing the www, then the Mac mini does more than suffice, I do that with a 2007 iMac. The G5 will be able to do this too though, but you will pay much more money for your electric bill for power that may never be fully utilised browsing "just" the web.

As alluded to before, the G5 has the advantage of being upgradeable in the HDD, RAM and GPU department, while the Mac mini only allows for easy access to the RAM (up to 8GB), as the HDD is much harder to reach.

And as the PowerPC architecture is almost entirely abandoned by Apple (see Snow Leopard), going the Mac mini route will prolong the upgradeability in the software department.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Not for $600. I've been watching quad core systems on eBay for a few months now, and the specs you list are very common among machines that will go for as little as $500 after shipping. If it had more HD space or 6GB of RAM, then $600 would be pretty fair, but I would see about talking the seller down by at least $50.

glanglemutton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
If one would take these generic benchmarks into account, then "yes" (although they are just on par):

wbwizo.png

If you basically use the Mac for browsing the www, then the Mac mini does more than suffice, I do that with a 2007 iMac. The G5 will be able to do this too though, but you will pay much more money for your electric bill for power that may never be fully utilised browsing "just" the web.

As alluded to before, the G5 has the advantage of being upgradeable in the HDD, RAM and GPU department, while the Mac mini only allows for easy access to the RAM (up to 8GB), as the HDD is much harder to reach.

And as the PowerPC architecture is almost entirely abandoned by Apple (see Snow Leopard), going the Mac mini route will prolong the upgradeability in the software department.

Thanks for all this great information. There's an Apple store nearby, it looks like I might as well spend a few extra bucks and get an Intel machine. Thanks again.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
For $600 you are better off buying a refurbed Mini. You can find them cheaper and use the extra $$$ to upgrade the memory and HDD. $400 would be a good deal if you can get it for that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.