Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I decided not to pay for mobile me for another year(cause I'm broke lol), and switch over to gmail. So I've imported all my mobileme emails to gmail, and have changed my email address everywhere that I know of, but I still get a few random emails from people who don't know that I switched my email.

I'm an officer for a pre-med club so there are LOTS OF PEOPLE from my school(a lot whom I don't know) out there who have my mobileme email address, and who contact me randomly if they have a question. Obviously I can't contact all of them to give them my new gmail email address.

So will I still be able to view my mobileme email? Or how does it work when it expires? Mine expires in 20 days.... Hopefully I'll be able to view my mobileme emails somehow....

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I vaguely recall there was a way to keep the email account going for cheap without doing a complete renewal. Take a look at your account settings on the MobleMe website for renewal options.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^5 I don't think there is a way to keep the e-mail account. If there is, it is not very well documented. Usually, you get some warnings for a few days and then if you happen to renew within 30 days or so, you can recover your old e-mail address.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You will not be able to access your mobileme email and anything saved in your account (mail, idisk etc) will be permanently deleted.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
This is the reason I use Gmail despite having MobileMe. I may decide to stop mobile me one day in the future.

I do know that you can reclaim your MobileMe account many months later. I did a trial and then about a year later I decided to buy. I tried to re-login and was told my account had expired and I had to pay subscription. I did and I got the old username and account back.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
From Apple.com Support
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=MobileMe/Help/en/mmfc0ef998.html

Reactivate an expired MobileMe subscription

If your MobileMe subscription isn’t set up to renew automatically, it expires one year after you purchase it. If your subscription expires, you can reactivate it and keep using your same member name.

If you renew within 15 days of the subscription expiration date, you can also still access all your MobileMe information (such as published Gallery albums or files stored on your iDisk). After 15 days, your MobileMe information is no longer available.

To reactivate an expired MobileMe subscription:

Go to me.com/renew and follow the onscreen instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.