Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
My 42" LCD only has two HDMI inputs and I currently have my Cable DVR connected using one of the inputs. I want to get an appleTV and a PS3 later on. How can I connect these three units to my TV at the same time?

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I picked up a 3to1 Phillips HDMI switch at Wal-Mart. Works Perfectly. I have a Blu-Ray player and DirecTV running through it without any issues and plan on adding my Apple TV. Sure, it's a ye olde push button switch, but it works.

Just find the cheapest one you can find. The technology in the things are nothing fancy. You aren't getting a better signal out of a more expensive switch.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
AV receiver... Got an inexpensive one myself a few months back and haven't regretted it - Sony HT-IS100. Everything sounds so much better now and have no shortage of HDMI ports! :)

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Or you could use the Georgia AV multiplexer. Carefully label each of the HDMI input cables, marking them as "ATV", "DSB" or "CBL", "DVD", etc. on distinctly colored paper for each. Then plug in the two you use most often into the HDMI ports on your television. If you need to switch to another device, unplug one of the cables and plug in the one you want. It is a surprisingly inexpensive, if inelegant, solution, but it works well if the rear of your television is easily accessible and you have no shame.

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
On Thursday I should get my new Pioneer VSX-1020K.... had a 1014 that I got at a yard sale, and it is great but has no HDMI. In order to simplify my setup and avoid having to adjust my receiver as well as TV inputs to switch to the ATV2, I went with the 1020K... although the lower priced models have similar features (3 HDMI port and up) I wanted the dual zone capability of the 1020 for outside and in-house speakers. Aside from that, that, they all can be controlled via an iPhone app.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...-Receivers/PioneerReceivers/ci.VSX-520-K.Kuro

It's pretty neat that I will be able to sit on my porch, open the Pioneer app and tell my receiver to turn on the outside speakers, select a source such as Apple TV, then open the Apple Remote app and stream music. (Or just stream directly to the receiver with Bluetooth, but I would rather not waste the battery.)

J&R has $30-150 off retail on these Pioneer receivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.