Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

184917-HDblog1_500.jpg

Bookmark bar in iPad Safari
HDBlog.it details the changes found in the latest iOS 4.2 beta that was released earlier today. Beta 3 appears to improve performance and fixes a number of bugs, but also introduces some small new features.

- Bookmark bar in iPad Safari
- New tones for SMS
- iPad: Enable/Disable alert sounds for New Mail, Sent Mail, Calendar Alerts, Lock Sounds, Keyboard Clicks
- Minor graphical changes

We've heard that Apple has removed the AirPlay feature from various spots in this build. This may be a temporary removal, and we could see it return in the final builds.

Article Link: iOS 4.2 Beta Changes: New SMS Tones, iPad Changes, AirPlay Missing?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I like the new Bookmarks bar, it's starting to look more like the Mac. Nice! :)

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Has anybody heard "early November" or "late November" for the GA release?

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Whoot for more SMS tones!
I need something simple and less obnoxious. Maybe a single beep or tone that doesn't reverberate for ever? Lol

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Can you set custom SMS tones? I always thought that was a missing feature people would like.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Whoot for more SMS tones!
I need something simple and less obnoxious. Maybe a single beep or tone that doesn't reverberate for ever? Lol

Having more SMS tones is a great thing, and having custom ones would be even better.

The worst is when you go to an Apple store and you hear someone with the same SMS tone as you getting a message, since the chances are someone has the same one because there is so few to choose from. It's not just the Apple store either, it happens all the time when I am out. I change my SMS tone every so often but it doesn't help, there is always someone with the same one and it causes me to look at my phone thinking it came from mine.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bookmark Bar isn't a new feature. It's been around since iPad 3.2 ... Check yourselves (Meaning MR article writers)

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I don't think they removed AirPlay from those apps. Just how it will not show up if you don't have an AirPort Express it will not show up unless you have a video enabled AirPlay device and none exist right now.

Giolon

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Um...my iPad already has the option to enable or disable all those alert sounds. Go to Settings->General->Sounds

Also...the Bookmarks bar looks exactly the same. It automatically pops up when you put shortcuts into the Bookmarks Bar folder and you can turn it permanently on in Settings->Safari.

I'm just running 3.2.2 on my Wi-Fi only iPad...not jailbroken either. So...I don't know what half of this news post is really going on about.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
When custom tones will be available, thats the challenge that apple will never achieve.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Having more SMS tones is a great thing, and having custom ones would be even better.

The worst is when you go to an Apple store and you hear someone with the same SMS tone as you getting a message, since the chances are someone has the same one because there is so few to choose from. It's not just the Apple store either, it happens all the time when I am out. I change my SMS tone every so often but it doesn't help, there is always someone with the same one and it causes me to look at my phone thinking it came from mine.

Hah, when I was at the bank the other day, an iPhone received a message and alerted with their "tritone" tone. About 6 people reached into their purses and pockets (including me) to check our phones... It's simply ridiculous.

We need more tones!

knord

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Sweden

Hehe, I know what you mean. It's so annoying.

Guess Apple didn't think people would use SMS so much since they made such a "bad" message interface :p.

I am hoping for custom SMS signal and at the same time I am not.
It is annoying to hear that same SMS signal that you have, but if I hear a stupid/silly tune someone recorded with their phone... eeew.

Jim82

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Seattle
Like everyone else has said bookmark bars are nothing new.
What I want to be NEW is tabs in safari on iPad and iPhone. Or the ability to make another browser a default as this is the feature I most want. Like perfect browser for iPad, which also does not reload the tab/page every time you go back to it. Come on :apple: you're being outdone by third party apps.

Anyone with the new bata care to comment on how multitasking is going with the lower memory as compared to iPhone 4 or if the battery life has suffered or improved? Not that I'm complaining about the 10+ hours I still get. Any low memory warnings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.