PDA

View Full Version : Help on Speeding up iMove on iBook G4

technomuffin
Oct 12, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hey all. I have a iBook G4 and usually do 4-10 minute videos in iMovie. I use a Flip HD Camcorder and was wondering if you guys had any tips on speeding up iMovie imports and exports. Right now a 5 minute clip takes 52 minutes to import and a 6 minute video takes 300 something minutes. Help! Should I upgrade the Ram to 1.5 GB and then clear out my HD? Thanks :apple:

Intell
Oct 12, 2010, 08:52 PM
There really isn't much you can do to make your iBook work with iMovie faster. I'd sugget upgrading to a Macbook (Pro).

Hrududu
Oct 12, 2010, 09:28 PM
You mean importing the video from the camera to the Mac? That should only be effected by USB transfer rates.

applefan1997
Oct 13, 2010, 12:29 AM
I believe the iBook has trouble due to the resolution of your video, because even at its age, 300 minutes is too much for a 6 minute clip. As for exporting, it depends on the settings and format you export it in. I frequently make 30 second to 1 minute clips on iMovie starting with a combined several minutes of video (relatively lower quality), and it hasn't taken that long. I used to do it on a 400MHz iMac G3, and now a 1.25GHz iMac G4. RAM and HD might not make a huge difference other than that, unless your RAM is really low, like 256MB or so.

raysfan81
Oct 13, 2010, 02:22 PM
You mean importing the video from the camera to the Mac? That should only be effected by USB transfer rates.
Yeah thats your problem. I'm not sure which iBooks had USB 2.0 but importing hd video over usb 1.1 is horrendouly slow. Maybe you could try using firewire if your camera can support it.