Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purell16

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
I was searching around for a used iBook, and I found poewrmax.com. I know these iBooks are used...but do they look new? Are there any problems with them? I noticed that there were two iBook's with the same exact specs, but the price on one of them was higher. I thought that was kinda wierd..

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I haven't seen any posts which spoke negatively of PowerMax. As always, buyer beware, but a number of members have suggested them to others in various posts. Just be sure to pay via credit card.

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
I bought my refurbed Quicksilver from them in 2003 .. very friendly and respectable people .. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't trust them ..

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I would not buy from them just because you can get a better price on eBay or Craigslist. PowerMax is overpriced.

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
EJBasile said:
I would not buy from them just because you can get a better price on eBay or Craigslist. PowerMax is overpriced.

Yup .. and I am sure you can call any of the eBay or CL people when something is wrong .. or they give you a 90 day warranty on their super deals .. you get what you pay for ..

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Mertzen said:
Yup .. and I am sure you can call any of the eBay or CL people when something is wrong .. or they give you a 90 day warranty on their super deals .. you get what you pay for ..

Well buying anything over ebay or CL is a risk no matter what it is.

greenleaf

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2004
Eugene,OR
powermax is great...they may be a bit on the expensive side but they are reliable. i live close to them and they are linked with my local Apple reseller's where i buy all my stuff :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I've never had a problem with them. Highly recommended. Plus, they're in OR, so no tax. I'm close enough that I've driven there a few times to save on shipping. Smalldog is good too, but they don't have as much stuff. I would call them first though because they don't seem to update the web site in real time, so they might be out of that particular model when you call, but they could have something similar.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Powermax has been around for over a decade, I think. They used to be THE best place to buy Macs, before Apple started selling directly.

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
anubis said:
Powermax has been around for over a decade, I think. They used to be THE best place to buy Macs, before Apple started selling directly.

I still rather buy from companies like powermax, smalldog, .. Independent dealers with a more personal touch just feel nicer then the faceless drones a an Apple retail store ..

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
purell16 said:
I was searching around for a used iBook, and I found poewrmax.com. I know these iBooks are used...but do they look new? Are there any problems with them? I noticed that there were two iBook's with the same exact specs, but the price on one of them was higher. I thought that was kinda wierd..

I bought my last computer from them, with the understanding that they would purchase the one I was using at the time. Worked out an arrangement, filled out all the forms and whatnot. Spent close to $100 shipping it to them. Then I get an email saying that they had changed their mind and that they were sending it back. No other reason given. Wouldn't even refund the shipping costs. They don't get any more of my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.