PDA

View Full Version : Ibook keyboard?

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 03:06 PM
Hows the quality? Do the letters eventually rub off? Or are they engraved in the keys?Does the ibook get really dirty fast? I always wash my hands and i cant see that being a problem but some people on here said it gets black no matter what? :confused:

mcgarry
Jan 2, 2005, 03:22 PM
My wife and my brother each own older iBooks with white keyboards. I use both of these computers from time to time myself, and have never noticed any serious problems with either dirt or letters coming off. And my brother can be a pretty dirty guy, so if his keyboard is still white, that's pretty good!

Most people's complaints about the iBook keyboard that I have heard focus on its perceived sponginess, since unlike the latest PowerBooks, the iBook keyboard is designed to be easily removable for RAM and Airport card installation. It therefore can feel less stable, but some people don't notice / don't mind.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 03:26 PM
My wife and my brother each own older iBooks with white keyboards. I use both of these computers from time to time myself, and have never noticed any serious problems with either dirt or letters coming off. And my brother can be a pretty dirty guy, so if his keyboard is still white, that's pretty good!

Most people's complaints about the iBook keyboard that I have heard focus on its perceived sponginess, since unlike the latest PowerBooks, the iBook keyboard is designed to be easily removable for RAM and Airport card installation. It therefore can feel less stable, but some people don't notice / don't mind.Do you know if the key letters and numbers are engraved in the key itself or just printed on? See i have a cheap keyboard for my comp right now and some of the letters and numbers are wearing off, but i guess it really doesnt matter i only paid 20 bucks for my key board at comp usa and that was like a year ago so i got my moneys worth definately. I wonder how much a new ibook key board would cost me later down the line though :rolleyes:

Sir_Giggles
Jan 2, 2005, 03:29 PM
Hows the quality? Do the letters eventually rub off? Or are they engraved in the keys?Does the ibook get really dirty fast? I always wash my hands and i cant see that being a problem but some people on here said it gets black no matter what? :confused:

That's one of my concerns with the white buttons. They tend to get dirty even with care. So I opted for the PB, but I shoulda went with the 15" with backlit keyboard, since I spend most of my time with it in bed surfing forums.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 03:41 PM
That's one of my concerns with the white buttons. They tend to get dirty even with care. So I opted for the PB, but I shoulda went with the 15" with backlit keyboard, since I spend most of my time with it in bed surfing forums.Yea i hear ya, but the powerbook is just so expensive in a 21 year old college student i dont have much bread ;)

mcgarry
Jan 2, 2005, 03:48 PM
Yea i hear ya, but the powerbook is just so expensive in a 21 year old college student i dont have much bread ;)

Sorry, I don't know the exact details of iBook key construction, I'll just say again that the two with which I have experience have held up great.

I also have to mention that I was in my college bookstore last week and the PB prices were slashed. The 12" w/Combo drive was under $1200, I'm pretty sure. At that price, the only reason to buy an iBook would be if you liked the looks. Sorry, I don't remember the exact prices, I'm not in the market myself. Edu prices at the Apple store online are not reflective. I think there was $300 off even the edu prices on the higher models-- must be something coming at MWSF, no big surprise.

mkrishnan
Jan 2, 2005, 03:50 PM
If it really, really, bothers you, there's always an iSkin cover for the keyboard. But be forewarned...I'm a fairly fast typist, although not trained formally. I can type in the 70-80 WPM range on a good keyboard with high accuracy. The iBook keyboard is not good enough for that to begin with, and it's even worse with the iSkin. And also it makes it even harder to read keys in the dark.... But my keyboard looks like new under there, and I just have to take this thing off and wash it with soap periodically! :)

I think it's time for a new one...the one on my iPod is getting a little ripped up, so it's time for a new color. But they still don't have exactly what I want.... :(

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry, I don't know the exact details of iBook key construction, I'll just say again that the two with which I have experience have held up great.

I also have to mention that I was in my college bookstore last week and the PB prices were slashed. The 12" w/Combo drive was under $1200, I'm pretty sure. At that price, the only reason to buy an iBook would be if you liked the looks. Sorry, I don't remember the exact prices, I'm not in the market myself. Edu prices at the Apple store online are not reflective. I think there was $300 off even the edu prices on the higher models-- must be something coming at MWSF, no big surprise.Cool, thanks for the tip :D

mcgarry
Jan 2, 2005, 03:59 PM
You got me curious, I just called the store, the 12" Combo is going for $1110, and with SuperDrive for $1290!!! The 15" ones start at $1449. Nice. Have you checked your college bookstore lately?

Maybe that guy who posted in the headless iMac (or was it the iWorks?) thread saying that this and the iWorks rumor were bogus feeds to ThinkSecret to punish them for the asteroid bit, while Apple had other tricks up its sleeve (like in the PB lineup) was right .... nah, I probably don't believe that, and no, I don't think the PB G5 is coming, but at least an update for the G4s to explain these price cuts.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 04:02 PM
You got me curious, I just called the store, the 12" Combo is going for $1110, and with SuperDrive for $1290!!! The 15" ones start at $1449. Nice. Have you checked your college bookstore lately?

Maybe that guy who posted in the headless iMac thread saying that this and the iWorks rumor were bogus feeds to ThinkSecret to punish them for the asteroid bit, while Apple had other tricks up its sleeve (like in the PB lineup) was right .... Well, no, I don't think the PB G5 is coming, but at least an update for the G4s to explain these price cuts.Why arent those price cuts making it to the apple online store??? Doesnt make sense, and i havnt checked my college book store but i dont think they even sell computers. :cool:

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 05:18 PM

Maybe that guy who posted in the headless iMac (or was it the iWorks?) thread saying that this and the iWorks rumor were bogus feeds to ThinkSecret to punish them for the asteroid bit, while Apple had other tricks up its sleeve (like in the PB lineup) was right .... nah, I probably don't believe that, and no, I don't think the PB G5 is coming, but at least an update for the G4s to explain these price cuts.1449??? Is that a joke? What do you get in a 15inch for 1449 at your college book store?Specs people specs

Sir_Giggles
Jan 2, 2005, 05:22 PM
I prolly think you could clean the ibook keyboard with a mild solution of water and bleach. That could keep it white. DONT try it on a PB keyboard!! I made that mistake once. I was disinfecting my desk with some chlorine solution and thought what the heck, I'll clean my powerbook case with it. BAD MOVE! Bleach and aluminum causes some sort of chemical reaction.

mcgarry
Jan 2, 2005, 05:25 PM
No, it's not a joke, it's probably just available to currently enrolled students at my school. I'm just guessing that they're not the only school bookstore taking this approach, however.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 2, 2005, 05:34 PM
No, it's not a joke, it's probably just available to currently enrolled students at my school. I'm just guessing that they're not the only school bookstore taking this approach, however.

Check your PMs please.Hey check that site you gave me. They arent as cheap as you said

mcgarry
Jan 2, 2005, 05:55 PM
OK, in the interests of seeming less sketchy, I'll just out and say that these prices I'm talking about are at the Stanford Bookstore, on the Stanford campus. I'm pretty sure they are only available to Stanford staff/faculty/students, though.

The bookstore has a website, www.stanfordbookstore.com , which does NOT have the prices online, but which does have the contact info (phone, email) for the bookstore. If you want to see that these prices are for real, go ahead and give them a call. They are real. Probably still get the free Epson, too. But of course, this info is only useful IF you are at Stanford AND you don't mind not waiting for MWSF, or if your school's bookstore or whatever has a similar promotion.

I only mentioned this in the first place because I assumed, possibly mistakenly, that the Stanford bookstore isn't crazy and that other retailers in similar situations might be pricing similarly in advance of MWSF.

mms
Jan 2, 2005, 09:01 PM
The G4 iBooks are printed. I'm not sure about the G3s since they have a different keyboard. My 'S' key on my G4 iBook is wearing off after just over six months of use. Probably means I'm spending waaay too much time on it :). I've heard somewhere that applying a drop of clear nail polish on a key when it's new will help. Try looking it up.

mms
Jan 2, 2005, 09:19 PM
I'm not so sure about the nail polish thing now. I could have sworn I read it on some old thread but I can't find it now. I might be mistaking the stories about using nail polish cleaner to clean the keyboard...

mms
Jan 2, 2005, 09:25 PM
If it helps at all, there is something about using clear nail polish:
http://www.pingbot.com/KeyboardMaintenance.html

I would look into more sources but it that works, it might be a great way to make sure the letters don't rub off.