Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
so lets say Lion comes along. when upgrading onto my machine with bootcamp will is go on smoothly? i didn't have a intel mac when we went from leopard so i have no experience. it should right? should be super easy and totally backed by steve as the greatest thing ever!:)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...oh ffs, they have not even officially announced anything yet let alone made mention of any features etc...at least wait until *after* that before asking stuff that there cannot possibly be any credible answer to.

Having ranted that, Bootcamp is something that is a major feature of OS X now - logically, they are not going to put out an OS upgrade that intentionally screws it up (unless they explicitly say that "no bootcamp" is one of the "features" heheh)....oh yeah!

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
When I was on Leopard, I had a Boot Camp partition with Windows 7. When I got myself Snow Leopard, I performed and upgrade install and after that completed, I gave my Windows 7 a spin to see how it was working out and everything was fine. Upgraded the drivers and it was running better than before. I've even done a clean install of Mac OS X with Windows 7 present on the hard drive and it still worked as if nothing had happened. :)

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
I have it on official word from Apple that Mac OS X "Lion" will completely erase the bootcamp utility and any Windows installations from your Mac.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Boot Camp is on a separate partition. Installing something on one partition won't affect what's installed on another. That's basically the whole point of a partition, basically a virtual 2nd hard drive.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
When I was on Leopard, I had a Boot Camp partition with Windows 7. When I got myself Snow Leopard, I performed and upgrade install and after that completed, I gave my Windows 7 a spin to see how it was working out and everything was fine. Upgraded the drivers and it was running better than before. I've even done a clean install of Mac OS X with Windows 7 present on the hard drive and it still worked as if nothing had happened. :)

i'm hoping this is how it is. being partitioned it should be that way it seems. it would be a real drag for those of us using win 7 on the side for work if it wipes the whole thing!

travisfiebs

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
Medford, Oregon
Just installed Lion Dev Preview

Just an FYI I Decided to install my dev copy of lion last night on my macbook pro and my windows 7 bootcamp partition is still intact but will not boot nor will it give me the option to. I am looking into this but so far all I can figure is that you may have to do a wipe and re-install a fresh copy through Lion's bootcamp utility. I will keep you posted.

voiconngongac

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
When I erase the partition and install Lion, I can't choose "Customize" since it is invisible. How could i do that?

eranhuman

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Bootcamp 4

did anyone expand out the bootcamp drivers for 4.0 and try that on windows prior to installing Lion.

I too am in a holding pattern.

MrComposer

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I did a fresh install and had no problems with my Windows 7 partition post-install.

Did you update/upgrade the bootcamp software on your windows partition first, - and then install Lion?

Or did you simply install lion without changing or preparing anything in windows Bootcamp?

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
I can boot to the BootCamp XP partition and all is good, but cannot start BootCamp from Parallels like I used to.

I did a new XP install with Parallels and that works.

Any suggestions to get the old Bootcamp working via Parallels would be much appreciated.

Edit:

Its sorted.

In Parallels, select display VM's, then right click on the BootCamp VM, and select properties, then display the drive, and select the correct physical drive where the BootCamp resides.

Last edited:

harryharia

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Flabbergasted

Yesterday backed up my whole bootcamp 3.0 partition with WindowsXP-SP3 to prepare for the upgrade from SL to Lion.... I didn't remove my bootcamp partion prior to the upgrade to Lion

Afterwards was planning to have to create a new bootcamp partition as Lion wouldn't probably be able to handle the bootcamp partition with WindowsXP on it.

But after the upgrade to Lion was finished I thought let me try to start up the bootcamp partition with the option-key. And........ everything worked just fine....... huhhhhhhh....... what happend to Lion can only run Windows7?

Just wanted to share this with you guys:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.