PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Songs Automatically into iTunes

fener_ipod
Jan 3, 2005, 09:29 AM
How Can I automat'cally rescan songs into my Library. I am a new iPod user. I was using Rio Karma previously and the Rio Music Managers was updating my library automatically when I have added songs into my music folders.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 3, 2005, 09:32 AM
in preferences you can tell iPod to sync with folders on your hard drive.

i think thats what you're asking... i'm a little confused... :confused:

fener_ipod
Jan 3, 2005, 09:42 AM
That is exactly what I am looking for however I can not find anything related to synch in the ->Edit->Preferences.

altair
Jan 3, 2005, 03:06 PM
go into itunes, then click the itunes menu in the upper left. one of the tabs (sorry in front of a windows machine at the moment) in there, probably 'ipod' or something, should have a option in it to 'automatically sync w/ a playlist", then you can just select the playlist.

think this is right :P good luck

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 3, 2005, 09:29 PM
I think you're misunderstanding his question. Let me pose my situation (and question!) as an example:

I have three computers. My desktop is a PC running Windows XP. My laptop is a 15-inch Powerbook G4 (1.5 GHz). Both sync regularly to a home folder on my third machine, a Linux fileserver.

I would like to set it up so that both machines (Powerbook and Windows XP) rip a CD and copy it to ~/music on my fileserver. Also, I'd like them to poll the same directory on a regular basis for new or uipdated files and sync with that folder. This much I can handle.

What's frustrating me is that, if I import a CD on the Powerbook, transfer it to the fileserver, and sync the desktop to the updated ~/music folder, the new files do not appear in my iTunes library (on the XP machine) until I manually import them.

I would like to tell iTunes to look for new files in the "iTunes Music" directory and, if it finds anything new, add that to the Library. I'd like to add this behavior to my Powerbook, as well.

Any ideas?

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 5, 2005, 04:20 PM
Anyone?

daveybe
Jan 17, 2005, 12:58 PM
I would like to tell iTunes to look for new files in the "iTunes Music" directory and, if it finds anything new, add that to the Library. I'd like to add this behavior to my Powerbook, as well.
Any ideas?

Sounds like a good task for Applescript to handle. Or a unix shell script, depending on what you like to work with.

The script could take all files added to ~/music since the last time the script ran and copy them to a temp directory. Then the script could import them into iTunes using the "File->Add To Library..." menu item (or "File->Import", not sure what the difference is), then delete the temp directory.

Haven't tried it myself, but seems feasible.

mattn
Jan 17, 2005, 01:18 PM
I have a similar wish--some way to have iTunes automatically scan my "My Music" folder and automatically import new files without my having to do manually.

Other audio players (notably Winamp on my PC) do this with the click of a button.

But, as far as I can tell, there is no built-in function in iTunes to achieve this.

Does anyone know anything that can prove me wrong?

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 2, 2005, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a good task for Applescript to handle. [...]
I've only been using OS X for about a year (and Linux, in some flavor, since '98 or so), but I've been using it almost exclusively (excluding work, that is) for the last few weeks. Perhaps it's time to jump head-first into AppleScript and see if my CS studies are worth anything.

Thanks for the thought. I'll be sure to post something here if I get it figured out.

wrldwzrd89
Feb 2, 2005, 07:43 PM
Sounds like a good task for Applescript to handle. Or a unix shell script, depending on what you like to work with.

The script could take all files added to ~/music since the last time the script ran and copy them to a temp directory. Then the script could import them into iTunes using the "File->Add To Library..." menu item (or "File->Import", not sure what the difference is), then delete the temp directory.

Haven't tried it myself, but seems feasible.
I'd recommend combining AppleScript and UNIX shell scripting (by using the do shell script command inside the AppleScript) - this approach is by far the most flexible and can easily cross platforms to access remote systems.

blybug
Feb 15, 2005, 02:38 PM
Anyone?

Why not just use the built-in iTunes sharing feature? Unless you have some need to be able to rip CDs from both machines and have them always sharing an updated library, just make one machine your "main" iTunes factory, rip all your CDs there into your server library, and just play them on the other machines using iTunes sharing.

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 15, 2005, 02:43 PM
Why not just use the built-in iTunes sharing feature? Unless you have some need to be able to rip CDs from both machines and have them always sharing an updated library, just make one machine your "main" iTunes factory, rip all your CDs there into your server library, and just play them on the other machines using iTunes sharing.
I carry my Powerbook away from my house quite frequently, thus making the iTunes share functionality inadequate.

I carry an iPod for personal listening, but I like having music on my laptop so that I can listen to it while I'm using my laptop and so it is available while working on other projects that may need an audio file (such as videos or slideshows).

I'm slowly learning AppleScript (as suggested above) and will be more than happy to post the final product here for review and/or improvement. I may scrap the AppleScript idea and go for a cross-platform Java implementation. I haven't been able to give it much thought yet.

Now that I think about it, though, JHymn is open-source and manages to update the iTunes library XML file. Maybe Java is the way to go.

blybug
Feb 15, 2005, 05:42 PM
I carry my Powerbook away from my house quite frequently, thus making the iTunes share functionality inadequate.

But then aren't you also disconnected from your music server when the PB is away from the house?

Or are you saying you are trying to keep 4 full copies of your music library always synced (server, PB, XP, iPod)? If that's the case then just keep all your music on the PB, sync the iPod with the PB, backup to the server daily, and use iTunes sharing on the XP box which I assume doesn't travel around.

What I do is keep my Library on the server and all the other computers in the house just use iTunes sharing. When I go out with the P'book I bring along the iPod and plug it in with a FW cable, playing through iTunes. Won't let you use the music for other stuff, but unless you are frequently making iMovies and iDVDs on the road may not be that much of a limitation (not to mention there are plenty of utilities to suck music files off an iPod).

But then maybe you really just want to do this for the gee-whiz sake of doing it, which I totally understand. It's the principle!

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 15, 2005, 05:48 PM
[...] When I go out with the P'book I bring along the iPod and plug it in with a FW cable, playing through iTunes. [...]I've tried that before and the iPod got too hot for my liking. Does yours not heat up, as well?

But then maybe you really just want to do this for the gee-whiz sake of doing it,Actually, I've got storage to burn, so having a full copy of everything on both workstations (Powerbook and XP) while leaving the backup server as, well, a backup, seemed most logical.