Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154455-remote_icon_125.jpg

Apple today issued an update to its Remote application for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, bringing fixes for a number of bugs.
What's New in Version 2.0.1

- Includes stability and performance improvements.
- Improves performance using Remote on an iPhone when Bluetooth is enabled.
- Addresses a problem browsing artists with a large number of albums.
- Addresses some issues waking up computers when using Home Sharing.
- Addresses some issues with connecting to an iTunes library or Apple TV when using Home Sharing or a Passcode.
- Addresses some issues with connecting to a Wi-Fi network.
Apple updated its Remote app in late September, bringing native iPad support and several other enhancements.

Article Link: Apple's 'Remote' App Updated With Bug Fixes

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
seems to be working better so far

edit: on second take, maybe not. Still having issues sometimes connecting to my iMac. Says library cant be found, when itunes is open and everything. Might be the 10.1 beta 2 im running though.
The issues seems to happen when I try to play a song through the remote app, using the shortcut "albums". If i go straight to playlists, it works. If i search by album, I get all the songs listed but it wont play them.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Fixed a problem I was having with the new Apple TV...

With the prior version I could browse my home-share library while the Apple TV was still sleeping, but then when I would press play on an item, the Apple TV would not wake up -- what's the point in letting me browse the library if play isn't going to wake the Apple TV?

The new version fixed that. I know seems like a nit, but sometimes it takes me a bit to find just what I'm looking for when I walk in the room and what would be the point of powering up the Apple TV only to then sit there looking for the item? And since I could browse my library before pressing play, it only made sense that then the Apple TV should wake up and go to work.

Anyway, glad it's fixed.

johnnymason

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
London
I'm finding that the latest version doesn't always display the correct track and cover art playing when using an Airport.

All other controls, (Volume, next track etc...) are fine but it rarely displays what is actually playing.

This is aggravating because previous versions have been fine...
:(

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Nice, when I updated mine was a little choppy when scrolling so hopefully that fixed it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
They took out the "stay connected" feature.. was hoping this update would bring it back.

Unless I'm being blind..

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
They took out the "stay connected" feature.. was hoping this update would bring it back.

Unless I'm being blind..

Yeah I find that annoying. Every time you wake your iphone to go back to the app it always has to reconnect. I was hoping they'd fix that but apparently not.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Does the remote app or the Apple TV in general have the ability to wake a Mac for streaming. I have my Mac set to always stay awake with iTunes running and only the display to sleep. I also have my hard drives set to not go to sleep which invariably makes them hotter. But I did this so I would not have to wake the computer to access content through my Apple TV. BTW, I have the 1st generation Apple TV.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Does the remote app or the Apple TV in general have the ability to wake a Mac for streaming. I have my Mac set to always stay awake with iTunes running and only the display to sleep. I also have my hard drives set to not go to sleep which invariably makes them hotter. But I did this so I would not have to wake the computer to access content through my Apple TV. BTW, I have the 1st generation Apple TV.

Why not let your drives sleep? They'll get spun up when they are needed.. if iTunes needed them for streaming.

And as the wake for streaming, as far as I'm aware no. I've had to run from my living room to my bedroom because I've forgotten to wake my Mac.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

That's better. I was having trouble using it with Bluetooth being active. My wife was laughing at me as I was bragging on how good the app was, then I had to grab my crusty white remote and click through my ATV menus.

calvin

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
And as the wake for streaming, as far as I'm aware no. I've had to run from my living room to my bedroom because I've forgotten to wake my Mac.

The Apple TV on its own can't. But if you have a Time Capsule it has a 'Bonjour sleep proxy' that will show your iTunes library as available in the Apple TV menu and wake it if you want to access the library (provided iTunes was running before you slept your Mac).

It also means any other Bonjour services around the network - for example, my iMac shows in the 'Shared' section of my Macbook Finder even when the iMac is asleep - if I want to access a file I can just click, it connects and then the iMac will go back to sleep when I'm finished using it. It is one of the most useful features (to my mind) of Time Capsule / Airport Extreme, and I'm surprised Apple don't publicise it more as a key product feature for an integrated network...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.