PDA

View Full Version : IP address issues

Sabbath
Jan 3, 2005, 10:20 AM
I'm having great difficulty trying to find my IP address so I can access my computer remotely. I have an adsl connection and I know I don't have a static IP but I can get around that problem, if I can just figure out which IP to use to access it.

I think the problem is I seem to sent via some proxy through my isp so the IP reported by my modem (82.xxx.xxx.xxx) is not that reported by sites such as whatismyip.com (62.xxx.xxx.xxx). Is it possible I cannot access my computer remotely because of the way the connection is set up by my isp? or is there anyway I can get around this.

Thanks for any help

edesignuk
Jan 3, 2005, 10:22 AM
Your IP address will be that which is reported by the modem. What is it?

emw
Jan 3, 2005, 10:54 AM
Just a couple of things:

1) If you can get to your computer remotely, so can others, so be careful about how things are set up. You should be able to test the external IP address (to see which of the two it is) by connecting to them even from inside your network from a second computer.

2) There's a handy menu bar application called IPMenu (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22521) that will report to you both your internal and external IP addresses. Another cool feature is that it can e-mail you any changes to your external IP address (so, for example, you'd always have your home's current external IP address handy while on the road).

Sabbath
Jan 3, 2005, 11:26 AM
Your IP address will be that which is reported by the modem. What is it?

The modem is reporting the 82.xxx.xxx.xxx IP but I cannot get access to it other than from the computer itself. I'm guessing because others are outside the 62.252.0.7-9 (thats 7 to 9) proxy.

Sabbath
Jan 3, 2005, 11:31 AM
Just a couple of things:

1) If you can get to your computer remotely, so can others, so be careful about how things are set up. You should be able to test the external IP address (to see which of the two it is) by connecting to them even from inside your network from a second computer.

2) There's a handy menu bar application called IPMenu (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22521) that will report to you both your internal and external IP addresses. Another cool feature is that it can e-mail you any changes to your external IP address (so, for example, you'd always have your home's current external IP address handy while on the road).

I'm sure the 82.xxx.xxx.xxx is my IP I can access it on this from my computer, just as I can access it on my 10.0.0.2 internal IP, but I can't access it on that from anywhere else. I just can't figure out why not.

Thanks for the IPMenu tip it seems really handy if it would report and email the 82.xxx.xxx.xxx rather 62.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address.

edesignuk
Jan 3, 2005, 11:45 AM
I'm sure the 82.xxx.xxx.xxx is my IP I can access it on this from my computer, just as I can access it on my 10.0.0.2 internal IP, but I can't access it on that from anywhere else. I just can't figure out why not.

Thanks for the IPMenu tip it seems really handy if it would report and email the 82.xxx.xxx.xxx rather 62.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address.
If you're behind a router (which it sounds like you are as you say your machine has a 10.blah.blah.blah address) you will need to forward ports on your router to your machines local IP address. What ports depends on what services you want to access from "outside".

Sabbath
Jan 3, 2005, 11:51 AM
If you're behind a router (which it sounds like you are as you say your machine has a 10.blah.blah.blah address) you will need to forward ports on your router to your machines local IP address. What ports depends on what services you want to access from "outside".

Yeah I've forwarded all the relevant ports, I think I'm gonna have to call my isp which could (will) be expensive. :rolleyes:

edesignuk
Jan 3, 2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah I've forwarded all the relevant ports, I think I'm gonna have to call my isp which could (will) be expensive. :rolleyes:
It's possible your ISP blocks access to specific ports, to prevent you from running web/ftp servers at home etc. What is it you're trying to do?

Sabbath
Jan 3, 2005, 04:55 PM
It's possible your ISP blocks access to specific ports, to prevent you from running web/ftp servers at home etc. What is it you're trying to do?

I just called them and they say they only block a few ports that the blaster worm and another exploit were using, and that i shouldn't have any trouble trying to use ftp. Hmmm... I'm running out of ideas now.