Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigstick94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Hey, I currently have the incase snap case in smoke, and I usually get 1-3 bars around my house. But when I do the death grip which the case on, I always drop to 1 bar or no service and it's getting really annoying. So what is a case that completely solves the death grip issue and isn't too bulky? Thanks in advance.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The Splash Cruiser on Amazon.com eliminates "death grip syndrome" on my phone, better than anything else so far. But it's certainly bulkier than my Apple bumper, and way bigger than the cheap eBay TPU case I also use.

daemonite

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
simply wrapping your hand around any phone will drop some bars.

also measuring by bars isn't accurate due to the cut offs, I find with any case I use the signal will drop some what and I am going by the numerical values.

right now my reception is -73dB without holding it (case on), if i hold it it drops down to -81dB thats about a 10dB drop which can easily mean a bar of signal loss depending on the numerical value.

anandtechiPhoneSignal_both.jpg

best way to do it, is put your phone into field test mode by dialing *3001#12345#* then measure your reception loss

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
I've found that the signal on my phone has to dip below -108 or so before I start to see call quality degredation/dropped calls. However, the data services stop working for me well before that. Turns out that I live and work in terrible signal areas. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.